What is the best centre-back pairing at Spurs?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Any particular reason why? Vertonghen has had 2 1/2 manager since he's started with us, been paired up with a handful of different players, played in two different positions, played in three different style, and you think that a 22 year old with one year of top-flight football with a team in the bottom half of the Bundesliga will make him perform at his best? :pochsmirk:

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do IF he joins us, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

That's awful bold considering we at least know what Jan can offer.
Because Dier and Fazio are competing for the right cb spot, Wimmer is Left footed too. Also Kevin is a hard worker and something that probably stuck out to whoever scouted him, he will put the upmost effort into training and if he does better than Verts in training then Poch will pick him, then Vertonghen might fight for a place in the squad or sulk, depending what mood he's in, when I wrote my original post I was quite high so didn't mean to say it as a statement that he will 100% get Jan to his best lol. Tbh to me It doesn't matter what form he's in I will not forget the sulking under Sherwood last season, shows that he's a big kid imo and not a true winner, just an extremely good technical footballer with no position on the pitch for him as he isn't that good defensively.
I will probably get slatted for that but it's only my opinion

You need a breaker and a sweeper. One who is proactive and the other who covers.
100% this.

Unfortunately I see Dier as a right sided Vertonghen and not capable of being that breaker like you mention. Perhaps it's because he is young still but I think if you look at how he played in his youth at Sporting (time at full back and in defensive midfield) he is more natural as the ball-playing sweeper. It's the same role Jan played at Ajax in his youth just left sided.

I think that Jan's star has faded recently but I think that just a dip in form, the problem with Verts, Fazio and Chiriches is that they always look like a disaster waiting to happen, a bit like when Gomes used to get the ball at his feet, scary shit. Whichever pairing he decides with new or old players I just hope he sticks to it so that they can gain a form of telepathy, chopping and changing may be ok in midfield but not in defence.

I think Jan's time is up after this season, for a variety of reasons, some relating to his performances, others his attitude and ambition. As good as he was in his first season I don't think he's even half that player anymore; I think we can do better.

Fazio and Dier are the only two who haven't been paired together. It would be interesting to see if they compliment each other. Fazio organises and is vocal. FFS he cannot be that bad as he captained his last team to a EL trophy. I think he's adapting. Most foreign CB's take time to adapt.
Dier talks a lot to. I wonder if those two together would be more organised. Jan does not organise. That's probably why you find the Jan and Fazio are the best pairing statistically. When you have a young defender in his first season he needs organising and Jan doesn't do it.
Fazio is in his first season. When he gets to know the game, the opposing players, I am sure he will come good. He had Costa in his pocket ( and Lukaku) If it would not have been for that error v Chavs he would have very good game.

Mason does ok in my book. If Bentaleb made more tackles our CM pairing would be statistically the same as Southamptons. Mason makes as many tackles per game as MS but less interceptions, and Bentaleb more Interceptions than VW, but less tackles.
More has to come defensively from the two wings and in front of Ryan and Nabil, from AT especially. It's interesting to see that since Lamela has been dropped it's all been coming down our right and Walker has been less protected and made errors.
I think both Fazio and Dier are both decent CB's. Dier was mentioned in the same breath as similar to Beckenbaur by Jesualdo Ferreira.
If Fazio does not fit into the managers style -too slow, why was he bought? It makes no sense to me. It's not a very good way to start a relationship with the new coach to get him a player he does not want. I am sure Mussachio was MP's plan A and Fazio the B.

Jan needs someone vocal to organise him. At the moment he has Dier, who is a young , learning rookie and Fazio, who is a leader, but is still adapting to the EPL.

Only the truly exceptional defenders are complete by 23.

True - like Varane but apart from him I can't think of anyone who shines so bright so young. I have very high hopes for CCV he looks like he could be very special, maybe even a first team debut next season if the opportunity arises?

DeeGee Fazio has come out and said that he heard of Pochettino's and Spurs interested at the start of June before the Musacchio rumours started, imv Poch did want him as a leader of the dressing room and a winner, also both being Argentine they would be able to communicate more often than others!

I'd play Messi at centre-back anytime. Obviously prefer him upfront, but if the only place I was allowed to play him was centre-back, I'd definitely play him over any of the other 5 or Bobby Moore, Beckenbauer or any other centre-back you want to mention. Commentators would have it easy, "Lloris to Messi, goal"

Last edited:
I'd play Messi at centre-back anytime. Obviously prefer him upfront, but if the only place I was allowed to play him was centre-back, I'd definitely play him over any of the other 5 or Bobby Moore, Beckenbauer or any other centre-back you want to mention. Commentators would have it easy, "Lloris to Messi, goal"

The sad thing is, I believe some people would.

Anyway, Spurs best CB pairing IMO has been Fazio and Jan.

But Jan has since been on the slide while everyone has been celebrating the supposed brilliance of Dier.
Personally, I think all our CBs are as average as eachother.

"The eye test of a seasoned supporter certainly passes mustard..."
qHIgCp6.jpg

:adelol:

I don't think there's much to choose between Jan/Faz/Eric with regards to ability, they all have their strengths and weaknesses. I'm inclined to give Faz and Eric a try, simply because I'm not sure that Jan is going to be around next year.

Our best partnership this season has been Vertonghen and Fazio. Why it was broken up, no idea. It's probably one of the few things Poch has got wrong this season.

Poch has two jobs this summer. Make damn sure that he's got a backup for Kane in case this season has been a flash in the pan and fix our problems in the back. My biggest concern about the guy is STILL that he's a defender that has a team that can't defend.

Back
Top Bottom