What is the best centre-back pairing at Spurs?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

for me, potentially the best partnership is Dier and Vertonghen. It has had its issues but from what I've seen this will be a solid partnership that we can take forward.
The only way we will get that elusive solid/regular partnership is to identify it and stick with it giving them as many games together as possible..
Swapping and changing it every game is never going to get that all important settled back 4.

Statistically it's not the best but the signs are there that this could work and could be our long term CB partnership..

At the moment hard to judge as we leave our CB's so exposed. In terms of form I would say Dier has been the best, Fazio is good but bit too slow for a high line, Verts have been off his game but has amazing ability.

Long term Dier and Carter-Vickers potentially, then we have to factor in who might come in the summer. Right now marginally I would go with Dier and Verts and if I was to drop one of them for Fazio it would be Verts not Dier.

The one that plays together consistently and is allowed to build an understanding.

Remember how good Bassong looked when he was given a run compared to when he was thrown in every now and again.

At the moment we don't have a best, we have a least worst.

Vertonghen remains a very good player but he seems to be led by emotion. Dier has potential. I thought he was pretty good in the final but is young, and it's a position that requires educating. Fazio is a bit iffy. Seems too clumsy and prone to dithering on the ball. Kaboul's race is run.

Carters-Vickers looks very promising - without question but we really need to focus on how our defence is looked after. That is from the front to the back. Too often both our full-backs are up the pitch, which is nonsense. It is quite basic to know that if one is bombing on the other has to remain further back. Our wingers offer minimal support and our central midfield don't quite have the discipline that Parker had.

Until all those facets are taken care of we'll always be prone to slapstick goals.

You need a breaker and a sweeper. One who is proactive and the other who covers.

Cannavaro- Nesta. Vidic- Ferdinand, Woodgate- King.

This is why we had some success with Fazio and Vertonghen. I don't think Jan and Dier will work until Dier fully learns how to attack the ball properly (also he hasn't been helped by Jan not sweeping up properly behind him.) Dier has been found out by Zamora, Austin, Costa etc in the last few weeks, but this is part of being a young defender.

Only the truly exceptional defenders are complete by 23.

You need a breaker and a sweeper. One who is proactive and the other who covers.

Cannavaro- Nesta. Vidic- Ferdinand, Woodgate- King.

This is why we had some success with Fazio and Vertonghen. I don't think Jan and Dier will work until Dier fully learns how to attack the ball properly (also he hasn't been helped by Jan not sweeping up properly behind him.) Dier has been found out by Zamora, Austin, Costa etc in the last few weeks, but this is part of being a young defender.

Only the truly exceptional defenders are complete by 23.

Kaboul and Vlad?

Change the way we play to suit or bring in a fourth CB (dominant) to play with either Vertonghen, fazio or Dier (they are good enough) . I do believe, whoever plays, 'the pair' are too often left exposed with their frailties on show. CB are always a fine balance of skill , pace and understanding of football-reading the game. But they can not win games by themselves there are 9 other players that need to do their own job correctly.

I feel we need a dominant CB, with pace , one who takes control, organises, rallies the troops when needed , has fighting qualities and leads by example.

for me, potentially the best partnership is Dier and Vertonghen. It has had its issues but from what I've seen this will be a solid partnership that we can take forward.
The only way we will get that elusive solid/regular partnership is to identify it and stick with it giving them as many games together as possible..
Swapping and changing it every game is never going to get that all important settled back 4.

Statistically it's not the best but the signs are there that this could work and could be our long term CB partnership..
I like Fazio with Verts because they are so different . Dier and Verts IMO are too similar as both are footballers and want to play, CBs you need a contrast of player styles. Then there is more option for choice against different forwards and situations. balance?

If we get Wimmer he will push Vertonghen to be at his best.
Any particular reason why? Vertonghen has had 2 1/2 manager since he's started with us, been paired up with a handful of different players, played in two different positions, played in three different style, and you think that a 22 year old with one year of top-flight football with a team in the bottom half of the Bundesliga will make him perform at his best? :pochsmirk:

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do IF he joins us, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

I want to see Fazio and Dier given a try.I hope Wimmer comes in and Jan leaves, as I'm tired of Verts.

That's awful bold considering we at least know what Jan can offer.

Back
Top Bottom