Vincent Janssen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm not a fan of people jumping in on a player's first season.

Kane was dreadful for years, even when he was out on loan, couldn't hit a barn door in Europe when he started playing for the first team and he's a player used to the English game.

Janssen was a top goal scorer in the Dutch league, which means he knows where the goal is, he's got the potential to be a very good player, but he's lacking in confidence, whether that's because he's playing a different role, the physicality of the defenders in the prem, whatever.

But at 22 we need to give him another season, I think its easy to compare him to Soldado but the biggest difference is we bought in Soldado when we had no striker, so we paid a premium for a 28-29 year old to start banging in goals straight away, luckily enough Kane started finding his shooting boots so we didn't need to.

We bought Janssen as a back up to Kane, he got thrown in the deep end with a lot of pressure on his shoulders when Kane got injured.

Give him one more season, he's got it in him I know it, but if he doesn't perform then, that's when we cut our losses

He didn't deserve to be humiliated yesterday, because that's exactly what it was, we bring off our striker leading 3-0 and leave the only other striker sitting on the bench while we bring on the plank that is Sissoko. If the manager doesn't rate him fair enough, don't put him in the match day squad then.

I still like the lad. He's sitting on the bench, not complaining & wants to prove himself. There's far too many Ades, most Woollich strikers who want to jump ship or become an arse, blaming others. He's struggling to adapt but he deserves the time we've given others & that includes Kane

Kane was dreadful for years, even when he was out on loan, couldn't hit a barn door in Europe when he started playing for the first team and he's a player used to the English game.

Was he dreadful on his loans? he was Millwall’s Young Player of the Season, at Norwich broke his leg in his second game and Leicester scored 2 in 5 starts (13 total) coming back from the leg break.

He didn't deserve to be humiliated yesterday, because that's exactly what it was, we bring off our striker leading 3-0 and leave the only other striker sitting on the bench while we bring on the plank that is Sissoko. If the manager doesn't rate him fair enough, don't put him in the match day squad then.

I don't think he was humiliated. What's worse, being an unused sub or not even making the match day squad? I'd argue the latter.

Poch wants more from him. We don't need to read into every single action.

I don't think he was humiliated. What's worse, being an unused sub or not even making the match day squad? I'd argue the latter.

Agree... though i'd add that starting the match, and being subbed half-an-hour into the first half is the ultimate humiliation!
(Hossam Ghaly anyone?? mind you, he was a right cunt about it!)
Ghaly faces wrath of Jol after shirt protest | Daily Mail Online

Would agree that humiliated is a bit strong. But ChiversRegal ChiversRegal 's point is valid that Fulham at 3-0 was the perfect opportunity with no pressure to try and build his confidence. Appreciate Poch isn't running a playgroup here but a thriving VJ would be a great option to genuinely change things from the bench as we enter the final months of the season.

The manager wants more from him, fair enough, i fail to see how leaving him sitting there when we're 3-0 up and in complete control is getting more from him. We took a striker off and sent on a midfield player, if that's not a kick in the teeth i don't know what is, surely it can't have done much for his confidence. Really cannot see the point in putting someone in the match day squad if you have no intention of putting them on even when it seemed the perfect opportunity to give him some playing time. I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

We were 3-0 up and an extra midfielder would make the game safer and save the other midfielders some effort. We were not going to go all out attack and he may have received little service which would not have helped.

We were 3-0 up and an extra midfielder would make the game safer and save the other midfielders some effort. We were not going to go all out attack and he may have received little service which would not have helped.
Why did we need to make the game safer? We was in complete control of the game, if we was 1-0 up i get it makes sense but each to their own.

You know what? I was losing a lot of hope in Janssen, but the contrast of his attitude and Perez at Woolwich really makes me want the guy to succeed. I know it's easy to make endless comparisons to Soldado, but at least he's a lot younger.

If he actually does come good, then this shit patch will seem quaint in a way. Plus, we really need to go out and buy a third striker (pacey, perhaps?) in the summer anyway - so it's not like we need to either double down on Janssen or ship him off to bring a new face in.

You know what? I was losing a lot of hope in Janssen, but the contrast of his attitude and Perez at Woolwich really makes me want the guy to succeed. I know it's easy to make endless comparisons to Soldado, but at least he's a lot younger.

If he actually does come good, then this shit patch will seem quaint in a way. Plus, we really need to go out and buy a third striker (pacey, perhaps?) in the summer anyway - so it's not like we need to either double down on Janssen or ship him off to bring a new face in.

He was shit for half a season at AZ, then became top scorer in the other half.

Might just need that second half? (optimism)

He was shit for half a season at AZ, then became top scorer in the other half.

Might just need that second half? (optimism)
Quite possibly. At the time, I thought the silver lining of Kane's injury in the first half of the season was that it'd help Janssen adjust faster - whereas it may have actually done more harm than good.

They can't all be Aguero and hit the ground running, eh?
:kanehand:

Want him to get a chance to play on Thursday, but then again don't want to risk a rather finely-poised tie. Decisions, decisions.

Quite possibly. At the time, I thought the silver lining of Kane's injury in the first half of the season was that it'd help Janssen adjust faster - whereas it may have actually done more harm than good.

They can't all be Aguero and hit the ground running, eh?
:kanehand:

Want him to get a chance to play on Thursday, but then again don't want to risk a rather finely-poised tie. Decisions, decisions.

It'd be different if he was missing easy chances, but it does seem a lot like he's not even been set up for any, which is difficult

It'd be different if he was missing easy chances, but it does seem a lot like he's not even been set up for any, which is difficult
Bit to do with the service, and a bit to do with his positioning I reckon.
:harrysmile:

These things take time though. Kane has built quite the on-pitch relationship with Alli and Eriksen, knowing pretty accurately where one another will be when they're making runs and looking for a pass.
Always looks more disjointed with Big Vinny, which is one of the reasons I think he reverted to simply holding up the ball in the box to wait for obvious runs/passing opportunities to arrive behind him.

Janssen was a top goal scorer in the Dutch league, which means he knows where the goal is, he's got the potential to be a very good player, but he's lacking in confidence, whether that's because he's playing a different role, the physicality of the defenders in the prem, whatever.

But at 22 we need to give him another season, I think its easy to compare him to Soldado but the biggest difference is we bought in Soldado when we had no striker, so we paid a premium for a 28-29 year old to start banging in goals straight away, luckily enough Kane started finding his shooting boots so we didn't need to.

Easy to forget that Janssen is younger than Kane, he looks a lot older to me!! Bit of a worry to hear him getting called out to do more in training, but certainly sounds like he has responded to that the right way....

He doesn't deserve to be humiliated yet you refer to Sissoko as a plank?

We bought Janssen as a back up to Kane, he got thrown in the deep end with a lot of pressure on his shoulders when Kane got injured.

Give him one more season, he's got it in him I know it, but if he doesn't perform then, that's when we cut our losses

Exactly, everyone now happy to sing "He's one of our own", but most would have chucked him out the door based on his earlier years with us/out on loan. Same could be said for Lamela who was the fashionable scapegoat for his first seasons

Janssen deserves some patience and I think this is why Poch isn't playing him, he's probably trying to train him without the pressure of public scrutiny, crowds of people shouting how shit he is.

Back
Top Bottom