Vincent Janssen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Did he? I assume you read it, but you know what they say about assumption...

"We are looking for a striker this summer, that's clear," Pochettino told French radio station RMC. "Michy's a young player who has a lot of talent. He is on the list of many clubs.

"We have quite a few people who have given us information about him. He has good potential. We'll see.

"We have other players in our sights too."

Call me silly, but at no point does he say he wants him, or doesn't want any other player. If you ask me, it comes across as he's more reluctant.

It's like when someone gives you an invite, but it seems awkward to turn it down, so you bullshit your way out of it.

"Yeah, sounds like it could be fun - loads of people have recommended it"
:pocheyes:

"I've got a few things to do this weekend though, so we'll see."
:pochserious2:

Vincent Janssen needs FA Cup boost when Tottenham face Wycombe

i

Vincent Janssen has scored three times for Tottenham this season -- all from the penalty spot.
Shortly after the FA Cup fourth round draw was made, footage emerged of the Wycombe Wanderers players leaping from their seats in front of the TV and raucously celebrating the prospect of a trip to Tottenham.

It was a moment which encapsulated the excitement the FA Cup can bring, as a lower league team got a shot at one of the big boys in a Premier League stadium -- albeit an arena which is missing its north-east corner and is surrounded by a building site.

Of course, Wycombe have history in this competition, having triumphed away against Leicester City in the quarterfinals in 2001 before going down narrowly 2-1 against Liverpool at Villa Park in the last four.

In a particularly memorable semifinal, Keith Ryan's goal will be screened again in the coming days as Gareth Ainsworth's current crop target their own piece of history -- and they are unbeaten in 16 matches so they deserve respect.

Nonetheless, Spurs' players were probably just as pleased when they were handed their fourth round opponents. As they bid to end their nine-year wait for a trophy, while maintaining their position in the top four, a home draw against a League Two club was pretty much the perfect scenario for Tottenham's manager and stars.

Mauricio Pochettino would probably have picked a reserve team at this stage regardless of the opposition. But, with a top flight trip to Sunderland approaching on Tuesday, the Argentinian can rotate his squad with extra confidence this weekend.

Spurs' second-string players should certainly be good enough to overcome Wycombe, especially at the Lane, and if they fall short it is the men on the pitch who will face the inquisition rather than the man who picked the lineup.

Yet the bigger the gaps are between the sides in the national pyramid, the more embarrassing any slip-ups become.

Tottenham have been handed a big opportunity, but by the same token a failure would be much more acute -- and that same dichotomy makes this a big match for Vincent Janssen on a personal level.

The Dutch striker looked lively and tenacious in his early appearances this season, but the £17million summer signing has so far been unable to score from open play and that is clearly weighing increasingly heavily on his shoulders.

His bumbling display against Championship side Aston Villa in the third round of the cup marked a low point and having been substituted on the hour-mark when the game was still goalless, he has been omitted from the last two matchday squads.

Pochettino has been happy to trust Son Heung-Min to provide an attacking threat from the bench, and the South Korean has justified that faith. Having succeeded where Janssen failed against Villa -- scoring after moving up front in place of the Dutchman -- Son also entered the fray at half time against Manchester City on Saturday and netted the crucial equaliser.

i

Tottenham are in strong form, unbeaten in eight matches with seven wins since their last defeat, against Manchester United in December.
Janssen will now get his best chance to remove the millstone from around his neck, leading the line in a home game against a League Two outfit -- and a sorely needed strike might just transform his confidence and kickstart his Spurs career.

Conversely, another failure would probably deliver another, and particularly damaging, blow to his self-esteem.

He will surely get further opportunities to play after this weekend, both in the FA Cup -- if Spurs progress as expected -- and in the Europa League. However, the opponents will presumably only get more difficult in both competitions, and the defences more resilient.

Of course, Janssen is not the only one who will be seeking to impress. Georges-Kevin Nkoudou provided an enticing glimpse of what he can do in the last round of the cup, setting up the opening goal immediately after his introduction and also playing a part in the build-up to Son's strike.

The 21-year-old winger has not got on to the pitch since then but he is likely to play some part against Wycombe and will be keen to continue his progress. Centre-back Cameron Carter-Vickers, 18, should get the nod in the starting lineup, and Kevin Wimmer could do with a confidence-boosting, steadying outing after being substituted at half time at Man City.

Josh Onomah will also be itching for some minutes -- the 19-year-old has only had four brief cameos since his last start three months ago.

However, Janssen's confidence is the most pressing issue as the weekend approaches, and if Spurs are able to put the result beyond doubt in timely fashion on Saturday, the focus is likely to centre around one man and his quest for that elusive goal.

So we're looking at something like a starting XI of;

[formation=4213, Vorm, Trippier, CCV, Wimmer, Davies, Winks, Dier?, Sissoko, Onomah, Janssen, N'Koudou][/formation]

I wouldn't go with 3 CBs for this one (basically 'cos we haven't got them!) and hopefully, Sissoko/N'Koudou & Onomah can be organised and clever enough to rotate around who plays behind Janssen... at least I hope they are!

Shame Edwards looks like he won't quite be ready for this one... woulda been perfect for him!
I'd imagine the likes of Son, Wanyama & Eriksen won't be too far away from the bench, (if a bit of insurance is needed!)
Other than that, a sprinkling of Kids on the bench would be nice! (and no, not in a Wengery way!!)

Last edited:

[formation=4213, Vorm, Trippier, CCV, Wimmer, Davies, Winks, Dier/Wanyama?, Sissoko, Onomah, Janssen, N'Koudou][/formation]

I wouldn't go with 3 CBs for this one (basically 'cos we haven't got them!) and hopefully, Sissoko/N'Koudou & Onomah can be organised and clever enough to rotate around who plays behind Janssen... at least I hope they are!

Only Spurs could sign a £30,000,000 midfielder who only starts cup games.

i

Vincent Janssen has scored three times for Tottenham this season -- all from the penalty spot.
Shortly after the FA Cup fourth round draw was made, footage emerged of the Wycombe Wanderers players leaping from their seats in front of the TV and raucously celebrating the prospect of a trip to Tottenham.

It was a moment which encapsulated the excitement the FA Cup can bring, as a lower league team got a shot at one of the big boys in a Premier League stadium -- albeit an arena which is missing its north-east corner and is surrounded by a building site.

Of course, Wycombe have history in this competition, having triumphed away against Leicester City in the quarterfinals in 2001 before going down narrowly 2-1 against Liverpool at Villa Park in the last four.

In a particularly memorable semifinal, Keith Ryan's goal will be screened again in the coming days as Gareth Ainsworth's current crop target their own piece of history -- and they are unbeaten in 16 matches so they deserve respect.

Nonetheless, Spurs' players were probably just as pleased when they were handed their fourth round opponents. As they bid to end their nine-year wait for a trophy, while maintaining their position in the top four, a home draw against a League Two club was pretty much the perfect scenario for Tottenham's manager and stars.

Mauricio Pochettino would probably have picked a reserve team at this stage regardless of the opposition. But, with a top flight trip to Sunderland approaching on Tuesday, the Argentinian can rotate his squad with extra confidence this weekend.

Spurs' second-string players should certainly be good enough to overcome Wycombe, especially at the Lane, and if they fall short it is the men on the pitch who will face the inquisition rather than the man who picked the lineup.

Yet the bigger the gaps are between the sides in the national pyramid, the more embarrassing any slip-ups become.

Tottenham have been handed a big opportunity, but by the same token a failure would be much more acute -- and that same dichotomy makes this a big match for Vincent Janssen on a personal level.

The Dutch striker looked lively and tenacious in his early appearances this season, but the £17million summer signing has so far been unable to score from open play and that is clearly weighing increasingly heavily on his shoulders.

His bumbling display against Championship side Aston Villa in the third round of the cup marked a low point and having been substituted on the hour-mark when the game was still goalless, he has been omitted from the last two matchday squads.

Pochettino has been happy to trust Son Heung-Min to provide an attacking threat from the bench, and the South Korean has justified that faith. Having succeeded where Janssen failed against Villa -- scoring after moving up front in place of the Dutchman -- Son also entered the fray at half time against Manchester City on Saturday and netted the crucial equaliser.

i

Tottenham are in strong form, unbeaten in eight matches with seven wins since their last defeat, against Manchester United in December.
Janssen will now get his best chance to remove the millstone from around his neck, leading the line in a home game against a League Two outfit -- and a sorely needed strike might just transform his confidence and kickstart his Spurs career.

Conversely, another failure would probably deliver another, and particularly damaging, blow to his self-esteem.

He will surely get further opportunities to play after this weekend, both in the FA Cup -- if Spurs progress as expected -- and in the Europa League. However, the opponents will presumably only get more difficult in both competitions, and the defences more resilient.

Of course, Janssen is not the only one who will be seeking to impress. Georges-Kevin Nkoudou provided an enticing glimpse of what he can do in the last round of the cup, setting up the opening goal immediately after his introduction and also playing a part in the build-up to Son's strike.

The 21-year-old winger has not got on to the pitch since then but he is likely to play some part against Wycombe and will be keen to continue his progress. Centre-back Cameron Carter-Vickers, 18, should get the nod in the starting lineup, and Kevin Wimmer could do with a confidence-boosting, steadying outing after being substituted at half time at Man City.

Josh Onomah will also be itching for some minutes -- the 19-year-old has only had four brief cameos since his last start three months ago.

However, Janssen's confidence is the most pressing issue as the weekend approaches, and if Spurs are able to put the result beyond doubt in timely fashion on Saturday, the focus is likely to centre around one man and his quest for that elusive goal.
Wow, heaping pressure on Janssen before he even kicks a ball. My initial concern or area to be sure is working is the 3 players behind him, they too have to perform to create the opportunities for him. It shouldn't all be about him, it's just as bigger game for them as Janssen.

[formation=4213, Vorm, Trippier, CCV, Wimmer, Davies, Winks, Dier?, Sissoko, Onomah, Janssen, N'Koudou][/formation]

Shame Edwards looks like he won't quite be ready for this one... woulda been perfect for him!
I'd imagine the likes of Son, Wanyama & Eriksen won't be too far away from the bench, (if a bit of insurance is needed!)
Other than that, a sprinkling of Kids on the bench would be nice! (and no, not in a Wengery way!!)

Only change I'd make to that is Son in for Dier and move Onumah back to CM. I see him as a long term Dembele replacement (if he makes it) so it's a good an opportunity as any to play him there rather than his usual cameo on the wing.

Would love Janssen to perform and score. He just about scored against Gillingham and even that was from the spot and they're worse than Wycombe.

Janssen will have to be pretty unlucky not to score against (no offence Wycombe) a 4th tier team...
As good as they are in their division, if Janssen has ANY aspirations of playing for a Premier League Club... then he simply HAS to be able to hold his own against lower league clubs. .. or else he may as well be at a Championship /League 1 club if that's his level!

Janssen will have to be pretty unlucky not to score against (no offence Wycombe) a 4th tier team...
As good as they are in their division, if Janssen has ANY aspirations of playing for a Premier League Club... then he simply HAS to be able to hold his own against lower league clubs. .. or else he may as well be at a Championship /League 1 club if that's his level!

The hope is they're more attacking given how well they're doing in their league and this ought to create a couple more opportunities for VJ than a side out of form who just park the bus

Janssen will have to be pretty shit not to score against (no offence Wycombe) a 4th tier team...

Fixed.

He's not been unlucky this season; he's simply not been good enough. He is young (-ish) so there is a chance he'll come good for us at some point. But he's no doubt taking a decent slice of cash from our club each week and, so far, doing fuck all with it. #prayforvince

Fixed.

He's not been unlucky this season; he's simply not been good enough. He is young (-ish) so there is a chance he'll come good for us at some point. But he's no doubt taking a decent slice of cash from our club each week and, so far, doing fuck all with it. #prayforvince
Agreed that he's not been good enough. But considering his age, I think a lot of that is down to adapting to the Premier League (where he was thrown in the deep end and has had little to do since).

I'm still confident that he has the right physicality to be effective and emulate the role Kane has for us, but it seems like half the battle is in his mind. We'll know within ten minutes of the match tomorrow if he's embracing the opportunity or looking terrified of fucking up again.

If we want him to score tomorrow then Eriksen should play at least a half.

Agreed with this.

I think if we aren't going with Edwards (which is unlikely) then Eriksen has to play, just like against Gillingham. It's a shame Lamela is out as he'd be the perfect Eriksen replacement for these cup games. Janssen needs creativity if he's going to succeed. You'll probably find that Davies will be the player who passes to Janssen the most.

Agreed that he's not been good enough. But considering his age, I think a lot of that is down to adapting to the Premier League (where he was thrown in the deep end and has had little to do since).

I'm still confident that he has the right physicality to be effective and emulate the role Kane has for us, but it seems like half the battle is in his mind. We'll know within ten minutes of the match tomorrow if he's embracing the opportunity or looking terrified of fucking up again.

It's a very reasonable post... but aren't we just being too nice? He's a shit Roberto Soldado; he's been far less effective than Pav, a tired Defoe or even Darren fucking Bent. His time with us has been utter shit and a total failure. I'd hope that even he'd admit that.

Janssen spends too much time coming for the ball...playing with his back towards goal. Needs to spend more time getting into decent shooting areas and let the midfielders do their thing

I wouldn't risk Eriksen for even a single minute against this lot. Janssen has to make his own luck.
...well in that case;
[formation=352, Janssen, Janssen, Janssen, Janssen, Janssen, Janssen, Janssen, Janssen, Janssen, Janssen, Jassen][/formation]

Give the rest of them the weekend off... they've deserved it.

Besides, at least if Vinny is passing out from the back to himself, he'll know exactly where he wants the ball played!

Back
Top Bottom