Victor Wanyama

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He gives us significantly more control than Dier but is not quite as good at playing those direct passes into the attacking players.

I lost count last night at how many times he won the ball back in order for us to keep the pressure on. Also I didn't think I would ever say it, but here's actually a player that loses even less physical battles than Dembele. It's unbelievable.

I'm very positively surprised by him.

I thought Wanyama was a bang average stop gap when we signed him who was about on par with that horrible Tiote that Newcastle had/have , I've been pleasantly surprised in his playing ability far more than just a hatchet man.

Agree with the above comments and his weakness is his shooting which is weak. However last night he had a shot which was directly at the keeper but it was more powerful. If he can work on that then he will be even better.
Having said that as long as Toby is back I would rest him Sunday for the Chelsea game and play Dier in midfield.

I love how him and Dier can both put in excellent performances at the same time, shows it's not an either/or situation with this newish formation.

Per Game Comparison: Wanyama v Kante

Possession Score:
Kante - 6.98

Wanyama - 6.47

Pass Completion %:
Kante - 89%
Wanyama - 88%

Chances Created:
Kante - 0.74
Wanyama - 0.95

Tackles Won:
Kante - 1.84
Wanyama - 1.90

Successful Take On %:
Kante - 70.59%
Wanyama - 75.76%

Aerial Duels Won %:
Kante - 40%
Wanyama - 46.59%

Total Duels Won %:
Kante - 42.93%
Wanyama - 43.82%

Interceptions:
Kante - 2.63
Wanyama - 1.20

Clearances:
Kante - 1.11
Wanyama - 2.20

Blocks:
Kante - 0.11
Wanyama - 0.30

Transfer Fee:

Kante - 35.8m
Wanyama - 14.4m

Beautiful range of passes, quick to move into space, quick to pass (many 1st touch), lightning quick into the press, no nonsense when needs to be, constantly moving to find space to receive the ball, good in the air

I think BIG VIC is proving his worth in the team...
a lot has been made at the 'break-up' of the Dier/Dembele partnership... but with Poch opting for 3 at the back, and clearly not quite trusting Wimmer with that job just yet, I think it perfectly accommodates all three!

I'd have thought at the start of the season, that a starting XI with Jan, Toby, Dier, Dembele and Wanyama in would be horribly defensive, especially at home... but it shows what shit I know, as it's probably helped contribute to our most productive attacking form all season!

Adding Lloris and the Wing-backs into the mix, and we've got probably the strongest foundation bedrock in the PL... one from which the likes of Eriksen, Dele, Son, Kane (or whoever the 'front three' are) can absolutely thrive, knowing full well they have the ultimate in back-up support behind them!

fucking love our team right now!

This is my first ever post, but I think big VIc deserves a few songs sung about him. He and Danny boy have arguably been our best players this season. I can't get to many matches now, so if any of you chaps or ladies are going this Saturday (hoping for a solid 2-0 Spurs win), and you like the following, then try and get a chorus going on the terraces for our Big Vic.

To the sound of 'What's that coming over the hill, is it a monster, is it a monster',
Who's that gonna smash your legs, it's Victor, Wanyama

To the sound of 'Aga-doo-doo-doo, push pineapple, shake the tree'.
Wan-ya-ma-ma-ma
He is Spur's midfield rock
Victor Wan-ya-ma
He is loved by gaffa Poch
To the left to the right
He will smash you in a fight
We love ya Wan-ya-ma
And your Italian (or replace with spaghetti) appetite

Back
Top Bottom