U.S. to White Hart Lane on a budget

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Last spring I went on a family trip to London which featured a visit to WHL...unfortunately not for a match do to the perfectly timed international break.. I got the most out of it by taking a tour of the stadium. After taking the tour i decided that I have to get back to London to go to a match before it is torn down, which obviously only gives me a year or two. Being a college student and being on a budget makes this task daunting. However, luckily this year my spring break aligns with a home match vs. Bournemouth on March 19th.

Here's where the lovely people of TFC come in:
How can I attend this match without busting the bank? The flight alone would be around $1,200 and I'd like to be able to spend less than $2000 if possible. Any recommendations on cheap housing accommodations somewhere between Heathrow, the center of London, and WHL? Additionally, I have no idea on what the best way of purchasing a ticket for the match would be or what to expect the cost to be, so any insight on that would be greatly appreciated.

I would really appreciate any recommendations/suggestions/advice/etc. Thanks!

cargo_3259761b.jpg

Would it be cheaper to fly to UK via somewhere else, eg Amsterdam? Also, sounds a bit obvious, but how about the YMCA? There is one in Romford, which is fairly easy commuting to Central London - approx 30 mins train ride. Check out their website, they may have one in North London.

Keep checking for error fares to London from anywhere within 1000 miles of where you live, book it and then take a budget airline or Megabus to the airport.

Accommodation? Any cheap hostel around King's Cross station. There will be binge drinking.

Food? Grab a bunch of Krispy Kreme doughnuts at Tesco's and mug them off by declaring that they're 15p doughnuts at the self check-out (every student in England has done this, I swear).

Keep checking for error fares to London from anywhere within 1000 miles of where you live, book it and then take a budget airline or Megabus to the airport.

Accommodation? Any cheap hostel around King's Cross station. There will be binge drinking.

Food? Grab a bunch of Krispy Kreme doughnuts at Tesco's and mug them off by declaring that they're 15p doughnuts at the self check-out (everyone student in England has done this, I swear).

Can confirm.

Would it be cheaper to fly to UK via somewhere else, eg Amsterdam? Also, sounds a bit obvious, but how about the YMCA? There is one in Romford, which is fairly easy commuting to Central London - approx 30 mins train ride. Check out their website, they may have one in North London.
There is a YMYM off Tottenham Court Road, if I remember correctly. Which'd just be a walk to Warren street, then the Victoria line to Seven Sisters, then the overground to WHL.

Book your flights as soon as possible, and if you're flexible on dates, I find Tuesdays are cheaper.

Re accommodation; I've never done it, but have a few mates who have used couchsurfing.org - you basically crash at someone's house, chances are they won't rape you, and it'll be cheap too.

Depends where your flying from, but always look at Iceland air and Norwegain (most of the Scandinavian airlines I'd imagine). Dirt cheap (under $800 to LA, $550 NYC) They are both basic as hell but if you're on a budget, a great option. Loads of hostels in central London if you're not bothered by them or AirBnb is over here as well

Book flights asap.

Accommodation go for airbnb or rent a room at the Bell and Hare.

The flights are the biggest expense. Pull your finger out

Depends where your flying from, but always look at Iceland air and Norwegain (most of the Scandinavian airlines I'd imagine). Dirt cheap (under $800 to LA, $550 NYC) They are both basic as hell but if you're on a budget, a great option. Loads of hostels in central London if you're not bothered by them or AirBnb is over here as well
Just checked out Iceland Air and their fares are great.. Only problem is they don't fly out of Indianapolis so I'd have to fly out of Chicago. Unless I can get a ride to Chicago (3 hour drive) from friends or family, I'd have to fly to Chicago which would make airfare the same price as just flying with United, American Airlines, Delta, etc.

Just checked out Iceland Air and their fares are great.. Only problem is they don't fly out of Indianapolis so I'd have to fly out of Chicago. Unless I can get a ride to Chicago (3 hour drive) from friends or family, I'd have to fly to Chicago which would make airfare the same price as just flying with United, American Airlines, Delta, etc.
Megabus from Indianapolis to Chicago then?

Whatever you do, don't book your return flight on Sunday 20th - if we make it as far as the Europa last 16 the match will be moved to Sunday, and even if we don't there's every chance it'll still be moved to Sunday. It could even be moved to the Monday night!

Megabus from Indianapolis to Chicago then?

Whatever you do, don't book your return flight on Sunday 20th - if we make it as far as the Europa last 16 the match will be moved to Sunday, and even if we don't there's every chance it'll still be moved to Sunday. It could even be moved to the Monday night!
Good to know.. Although that might fuck over my plans since classes start again that Monday

1. Take out a credit card that gives you air miles as you spend.
2. Buy a Mercedes with said credit card.
3. Take it back next day for a refund, get refund to your bank account not the card.
4. Pay off the credit card
5. Enjoy the air miles

This is an exaggeration, but it is a genuine , legal way to rack up air miles- I read an article about a bloke who travels the world using this trick among others.

Only problem is they don't fly out of Indianapolis so I'd have to fly out of Chicago.
If you're a student, Amtrak is cheap, but it takes a bit of prior planning, since you need to apply for some kind of student card or something before you use the student discount. Once you're at Union Station, the blue line to ORD (Clinton) is literally three blocks away. The whole Indianapolis/Chicago leg looks like it'll add $50 to the total trip.

Even better, Megabus is currently offering trips from Indianapolis to Chicago for $1 in November. If you time your purchase for when the March dates become available, you could do the whole leg for $2. Plus on-board wifi, etc.

As for lectures on Monday, stop joking. As mentioned, there's every chance the match will get postponed to Sunday. Aim for making Tuesday's lectures.

Back
Top Bottom