U-18/U-21/Loans/Development Squad (2011-2018)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shaq managed to get himself a place in the official Football League Team of the Week after his performances against Scunthorpe and Bristol Rovers. Certainly made a good impression down there.

Did anyone else notice that Harry's goal was times at 82 minutes but when they show the scoreboard, there is only 77 minutes gone.

Haha yeah I noticed that too and thought I had remembered it wrong and dismissed it. Very odd.

A6704_zpsd81aac8f.jpg

Spurs are sending our Academy squad to Germany this weekend for the Düsseldorf U-19 Champions Trophy.

Ten teams will be split into two groups of five with the Group Stage matches played on Friday, Saturday & Sunday and the Semi-Finals and Final played on Monday.

The five teams in the other group are Japan High School XI, Fortuna Düsseldorf, Borussia Dortmund, Red Bull Salzburg and PSV Eindhoven.

A6698_zpsfa441e8f.jpg

Tottenham Hotspur Reserves (Spurs XI), Under-21s, & Academy (U-18s) 2013-14

As promised, a little write up of the first day in Dusseldorf. It's worth remembering this is an U19 tournament, and we've taken an U18 team without a couple of players too.

First off, my phone died before the second game, so I couldn't make notes, plus for some of the names I am relying on the announcer who I know isn't very reliable (Oduwa apparently scored our second goal, but he wasn't on the pitch at the time), so apologies if anything is wrong!

We won the first game 2-0 against 04 Dusseldorf. We got off to a slow start and could have been behind, but kept it at 0-0 and as soon as we scored, we began to completely dominate, and ultimately could have won 3 or 4-0. Lloyd Ross got the first after great work down the left from Georgiou, and I believe Georgiou himself got the second (certainly not Oduwa...). MOTM in that first game was probably Josh Onomah. Bossed the midfield against guys 3 years older! He's a very promising talent.

Also worth noting that Ismail Azzaoui, the 16 year old we were reported to be signing from Anderlecht a while ago, played the last 15 minutes and looked very tasty indeed. Always looking to beat his man and usually did. He did also play in the second game, but had less of an impact against a stronger Wolfsburg team. I asked Kieran McKenna at full time if he'd joined permanently. The response was, "have you heard something then?" followed by a smile and "he will do". Suggests it's not on the dotted line yet, but this is certainly more than just a trial.

In the second game, we lost 1-0 to Wolfsburg. They were definitely better on the ball and much, much bigger all over the pitch. They deserved the win on the overall balance of play, but we actually had more clear cut chances (3 to 2 I'd say). All 3 of ours were 1 v 1s and all 3 were hit straight at the keeper (Harrison at 0-0, Onomah and Akindayini I think, at 1-1. Ogilvie set up two of these, one with a magnificent 60 yard ball right on the money. Their goal was right behind the dug-out from where I was stood, so couldn't see clearly, but it was definitely an own goal. Looked like one defender hoofed it against another and it Rick O'Shea'd in (tm US Soccer Guy!).

Tom Glover, a goalkeeper we signed from a team in Australia played this second game and looked established. Very calm on the ball and solid handling too. Had 1 shaky moment in the very first minute - a bit of a mix up with the centre back, but sorted it out in the end (although Wolfsburg appealed for handball outside the box).

The games are only 25 minutes per half, so it's hard to give an in depth review and rating for each individual player. We have Leverkusen and Zagreb tomorrow. Leverkusen is a must win because I don't fancy us against Zagreb (beat Wolfsburg very comfortably). As a side note - 16 year old Dino Halilovic played for Zagreb and looked a class above. When you consider he's supposed to be the less promising brother, Alen must be something special. The Spurs TV camera was up for the first game, but I didn't see it for the second. I hope they were filming it from somewhere and they release highlights.

Also, I've looked into the Wolfsburg team a little more, and from top to bottom on the teamsheet here (http://manager.u19-cup.de/games/download/38), these are their ages:

7 x 19 and 4 x 18.

As a comparison, here are our ages:

16 or 17 (can see Cy was 16 in October, but can't find DOB)
16 (Azzaoui is born in 1998 ffs, that is scary)
17 (just)

1 x 19, 2 x 18, 3 x 17, 5 x 16.

When you look at the ages like that, we've done well to keep ourselves up with them, and although they were the better team, we did enough to be encouraged, with this post in mind.

Good news - Woolwich U21s have been relegated from the top division for next season :adelol:

Bad news - that means no 1882 away day there next season :dawsonmean:

Edit: Just seen half the teams get "relegated", as the league splits, so it's not really relegation as such. I take back that laughter! But also means we may get that away day yet!

Last edited:
Jan Vertonghen and Etienne Capoue return from injury to play for our Under-21s against Reading at Stevenage's Lamex Stadium this afternoon.

Defender Jan has been out since damaging his ankle at Liverpool on March 30 while it's been two months on the sidelines for midfielder Etienne, who also picked up an ankle injury, this time at Norwich on February 23.

First team squad regulars Jordan Archer, Nabil Bentaleb and Milos Veljkovic are also in the squad alongside in-form Academy striker Daniel Akindayini.

It's our final match of the Barclays U21 Premier League campaign and we kick-off at 2pm.

Squad:

Archer, McEneff, McQueen, Veljkovic, Gallifuoco, Vertonghen, McEvoy, Capoue, Akindayini, Bentaleb, Lameiras, Dombaxe, Miles, Lesniak, Campbell-Young.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom