U-18/U-21/Loans/Development Squad (2011-2018)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any news on the Edwards contract situation?

From the Daily Star so not the most reliable source. However does it mean his head has been turned by bigger offers elsewhere? I blame the Chavs and Shitty for paying stupid money to these kids...

Tottenham set for further heartache as ace rejects contract offer
MARCUS EDWARDS could leave Tottenham after rejecting a contract offer.

The highly rated 17-year-old has been at White Hart Lane for just under 10 years and has represented England at Under-17 level.

And
Football Insider claim the youngster has rejected a contract offer from the north-London side.

Edwards current agreement expires next summer and he'll become a
free agent should the stalemate continue.

Spurs would receive compensation should the youngster leave.

Numerous 'elite clubs' are said to be keeping tabs on Edwards and there's a growing feeling he will leave White Hart Lane.

However, Mauricio Pochettino is keen to keep hold of the attacking midfielder.

From the Daily Star so not the most reliable source. However does it mean his head has been turned by bigger offers elsewhere? I blame the Chavs and Shitty for paying stupid money to these kids...

Tottenham set for further heartache as ace rejects contract offer
MARCUS EDWARDS could leave Tottenham after rejecting a contract offer.

The highly rated 17-year-old has been at White Hart Lane for just under 10 years and has represented England at Under-17 level.

And
Football Insider claim the youngster has rejected a contract offer from the north-London side.

Edwards current agreement expires next summer and he'll become a
free agent should the stalemate continue.

Spurs would receive compensation should the youngster leave.

Numerous 'elite clubs' are said to be keeping tabs on Edwards and there's a growing feeling he will leave White Hart Lane.

However, Mauricio Pochettino is keen to keep hold of the attacking midfielder.
Real shame if we lose out on him

Insane amounts to give to 18-year-olds, absolutely insane

I don't think, it's necessarily so. It's got nothing to do with age. If anything, it's wages in football in general that's insane. It's not inconceivable that Edwards could hold his own in The Championship, if not now then within a year or two. The average wage there is 400-500k a year, as I recall.

Totally, however when a young player is being offered £300k (rumoured) a year compared to the £46k we offer our development players, it's a no brainer if money is what you crave over actual playing time.

Our first pro contract is £40k, second is £50k - Winks, for e.g., is now on £100k pa.

Totally, however when a young player is being offered £300k (rumoured) a year compared to the £46k we offer our development players, it's a no brainer if money is what you crave over actual playing time.
We don't want them if its just about money to them! Piss them off

for a kid of 16/17 to get over £700 pw week for their first pro contract is well enough. Some would kill for a job with that money.
For an 18 yr old to get £50k pa (£960 week) is well enough.
What are these kids on for fuck sake.
If your good enough you will earn it.
Seriously there has to be something done about wages otherwise it will get out of control. And/Or agents. The amount paid out to agents is diabolical.
There should be a cap of say £100k a week. If your any good you can earn more money through sponsorship etc. This could be readjusted.
I know the career is pretty short, but if kids are getting educated and earning as much as £50k at a young age and then injured before your career kicks off, they have to survive like anyone else who gets injured in the workplace.
If you sign a contact of 5 yrs on 100k pw thats over £25m, or even £12.5m over 5 on £50k pw) That should be enough for the rest of you life unless you're a cunt & spunk it.
I mean someone on £40k a year would earn what £1.6m in over 40 years of working life
PL money should also be shared equally among clubs regardless of league position.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom