U-18/U-21/Loans/Development Squad (2011-2018)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact is of those born between 1982-92 there were somewhere between 5-20 boys who had Marcus Edwards' level of talent and 20-40 of Josh Onomah's but they were not allowed to fulfil it because of the backwards system it was filtered through.

If true, that's a startling realisation considering how well liked and revered players like Kane, Bentaleb and Mason are.

There is the current threat of legal action against FIFA/UEFA by EU based football lobby group to scrap transfer fees entirely, included in their proposed litigation is the scrapping of the loan system too. This would severely hamper the stock piling of players.

The loan system serves as a good apprenticeship when used correctly. I think Chelsea are just abusing the system to stockpile players, there needs to be a limit (what do they have 30+ on loan). If they aren't going to make it there they should be let go / sold.

How are these players expected to fulfil their potential when they aren't given a chance? It's catch 22, Chelsea will not sell them because of the loan / parent club advantage it gives them in the Prem. In the UCL they even tried to stop Courtois playing against them for Atletico! It was only when UEFA stepped in and told them they couldn't stop him playing they relented.

/rant over :)

Bright start but once we conceded the levels dropped. Harrison needs to get into the game more - if he is playing 10 he needs to get into the pockets of space, of which there are plenty.

Walkers-Peters is impressive going forward.

Walker-Peters and Bennetts looked brilliant tonight. Especially the latter who's only 16.

Shame that Sterling, Onomah and Edwards weren't involved. I would've loved to have seen them on such a great pitch and with that sort of atmosphere and intensity.

Just back, was an enjoyable game to watch. Both sides tried to play good football which made for good entertainment.

Stand out for me was KWP by a country mile, best player on the pitch. Was also impressed with Lesniak in the midfield. Kept things ticking along well. Stylianedes had a good cameo off the bench as well. Loft scored but struggled in what I believe was his first start at this level, expected a bit more from Harrison as well but he was playing off Loft and it didn't really work for me. Bennetts looked dangerous cutting in on his left but he didn't vary it enough for me. Looked a tad one footed but then again he did put a good cross in with his right in the first half so I'm probably being a little harsh on him. Georgiou also did pretty well going forward and looked dangerous.

Defensively, the centre back pairing was a bit shaky at first but Maghoma grew into the game and probably stood out a little bit more than Veljkovic for me. Even though the Serbian was pretty calm and a decent leader in a young team. Glover can't kick very well and his punching left a lot to be desired. Doesn't command his area but didn't have too much to do in general, didn't really have much chance with either goal.

Promising signs though to win and play overall quite well with a lot of more well known players out. Come at me WindyCOYS WindyCOYS

Last edited:
Watched it on TV. Jonathan Pearce and I don't know who else commentated. Ugo on the panel too.
That co commentator really riled me with one comment he made.
Week in week out we have seen players like Costa, Lampard, Aguero, Dzeko, Young, Suarez, Gerrard, Sanchez etc dive around to get penalties or decisions to get players in trouble. Blatant dives and play acting. Some even assaulting players, but because they play for the right team and are arse licked, it's overlooked.
The commentators never have the bollocks to call anyone out on it. They make comments like, 'well he had the right to go down', 'he went down a bit easily, but there was contact', 'you just can't make challenges like that in the box, so and so is an experienced, clever striker' 'there was slight contact an you just need to stand on your feet as a defender' etc, etc, ad fucking nausea. All scared to lose their jobs for criticising the players that make money for the company that pays them.
Yet last night that cunt had the front to call out and 18 yr old kid and call him a diver.
It happened when Bennetts was fouled in the box. Yet he criticised the kid, called him a diver and debated whether diving was creeping into the young game.
However, I thought it was a penalty. More so than Dzeko's, one of Agureo's and definitely fat Franks dive in the same game.
Haven't got the balls to call out Lampard, Gerrard etc, but stains an 18yr old kid labelling him a diver, when in fact there was not much wrong with it. Another ref would have given it s he made no effort to play the ball but went across bennett.
Cunt.

Just back, was an enjoyable game to watch. Both sides tried to play good football which made for good entertainment.

Stand out for me was KWP by a country mile, best player on the pitch. Was also impressed with Lesniak in the midfield. Kept things ticking along well. Stylianedes had a good cameo off the bench as well. Loft scored but struggled in what I believe was his first start at this level, expected a bit more from Harrison as well but he was playing off Loft and it didn't really work for me. Bennetts looked dangerous cutting in on his left but he didn't vary it enough for me. Looked a tad one footed but then again he did put a good cross in with his right in the first half so I'm probably being a little harsh on him. Georgiou also did pretty well going forward and looked dangerous.

Defensively, the centre back pairing was a bit shaky at first but Maghoma grew into the game and probably stood out a little bit more than Veljkovic for me. Even though the Serbian was pretty calm and a decent leader in a young team. Glover can't kick very well and his punching left a lot to be desired. Doesn't command his area but didn't have too much to do in general, didn't really have much chance with either goal.

Promising signs though to win and play overall quite well with a lot of more well known players out. Come at me WindyCOYS WindyCOYS
I though Lesniak looked fucking class in there. KWP caught the eye, but the composure of Lesinak, his passing and maturity belie his age. He looked like he could manage a step up with ease.
He controlled the midfield with Walkes.

You can clearly see why Edwards is so highly rated. Delightful to watch, there always is about small footballers with low centre of gravity. I really hope he has the mentality and determination to succeed and I would love him to fulfil that potential at this club.

Edwards reminds me so much of Maradona. The poise, the balance, the two footedness, the change of pace and direction, all sublime. His passing is crisp and he's not lacking in a bit of pace either. His finishing isn't up to the same level but you can't have everything. On one hand you want the club to treat him with kid gloves and not damage him by throwing him in the deep end too soon but at the same time we absolutely cannot afford to waste a talent like that. If he's not in the first XI by the time he's 19 we've got things badly wrong.
Historically players with that kind of ability have no trouble making their debut at 16/17. Some of his dribbling would put a good few Premier League defenders I can think of square on their arse.

Edwards reminds me so much of Maradona. The poise, the balance, the two footedness, the change of pace and direction, all sublime. His passing is crisp and he's not lacking in a bit of pace either. His finishing isn't up to the same level but you can't have everything. On one hand you want the club to treat him with kid gloves and not damage him by throwing him in the deep end too soon but at the same time we absolutely cannot afford to waste a talent like that. If he's not in the first XI by the time he's 19 we've got things badly wrong.
Historically players with that kind of ability have no trouble making their debut at 16/17. Some of his dribbling would put a good few Premier League defenders I can think of square on their arse.

He was good against Brazil even though they were doubling up on him. The Maradona analogy is apt, he can stop on a sixpence, the way he changes direction, the way he rolls the ball with his feet. He could be a very special player.

I though Lesniak looked fucking class in there. KWP caught the eye, but the composure of Lesinak, his passing and maturity belie his age. He looked like he could manage a step up with ease.
He controlled the midfield with Walkes.
He did make a few mistakes though which led to chances for Norwich. A few sloppy passes...and he seems to have a thing about committing himself to a challenge he is unlikely to make, therefore leaving the defence exposed. He was found far too far up the pitch on a few occasions as well.

Not sure he'd step up with ease at all - I think he'd likely struggle to adapt to the pace of the PL and the lack of space afforded to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom