Tottenham's 5 least effective signings

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think we all know that the Bale money was being spent before his move was made formal. Do you really think that we'd have spent almost £90m on new players if we didn't know Bale was going?
I think Levy was actually genuinely backing AVB, and was spending a chunk of that before Bale was sold. We knew we needed a striker, and a midfielder, and we knew they were coming before Bale's exit was mooted. I think that claiming all of those signings were based on Bale's sale, when several were either completed, or in process when Bale was assumed by the club to be returning is at best disingenuous, and outright idiocy at worst.

We'd just missed 4th by one point, and had one of the hottest football talents on the planet scoring freely for us. All signs were pointing to a tipping point provided the squad was properly enhanced. Levy and AVB set out to do so, but then the situation abruptly changed halfway through the summer.

Let the man speak .
Fascists no thanks .

He made a shit article (22nd), realised it wasn't gonna get views and so spammed it on a forum (23rd) so that he could make a few bob.

Let him speak? Yes, look at him go....wouldn't surprise me if he never posted again (or just posted another article)

I think that claiming all of those signings were based on Bale's sale, when several were either completed, or in process when Bale was assumed by the club to be returning is at best disingenuous, and outright idiocy at worst.

Maybe not all were a direct result of Bale leaving (after all, there are always some incomings and outgoings) but it's incredibly, incredibly naive for someone to think that we outlaid virtually £100m on new signings during that window without knowing that the sale of Bale was highly likely.

Also, disingenuous is a lovely word but it doesn't mean what you think it means.

Maybe not all were a direct result of Bale leaving (after all, there are always some incomings and outgoings) but it's incredibly, incredibly naive for someone to think that we outlaid virtually £100m on new signings during that window without knowing that the sale of Bale was highly likely.

Also, disingenuous is a lovely word but it doesn't mean what you think it means.
Oh, it was clear later in the window that was occurring. But initially, that wasn't the case. It's not like the season finished and Levy agreed to a deal the next day. For at least the whole of June, and possibly July, the club definitely thought Bale was staying. I think it was only when the club was in Hong Kong that it became clear he was leaving.

Assuming that all of our spending from that summer was based on Bale's leaving, I think is factually incorrect. And it's been repeated ad naseum by people either trying to spin an agenda, or people unwilling to look at what happened.

1. Paulinho
2. Baldini
3. Stefen Freund
4. Holtby (the running man who hasn't convinced 3 managers he is up to it)

After seeing a somewhat ok 45 mins at RB I've removed Chirches off my list. What a difference a win makes cant even finish a list of 5!!:eriksenlol:

Some of the comments are a little harsh when the guy's just having a go at writing a piece about Spurs... but I guess yet another article about our signings being poor is also not hugely original as we're hearing it every week.
What's more interesting for me is how several young British players have showed some real promise this season - such as Mason, Kane and Davies - which gives me some hope that we can develop something of a core backbone for the club to last some years. For me, though, I wish we still had Caulker. He's not perfect, but is young, learning and improving.

Not sure if pointless is the best word, but my five biggest flops:

5. Fazio (may as well have kept Dawson, similar age).
4. Paulinho (Attitude stinks, very occasional good display)
3. Holtby (not for the want of trying)
2. Soldado (Unlucky but lazy, cant hit a barn door)
1. Baldini (nuff said, without him this thread wouldnt exist. Get him out)

Lamela & Chadli narrowly escape, due to their recent resurgance under Poch (credit to him).

Credit to Poch? Well he is playing them but Chadli wasn't as tragic as was made out last season but also had a nasty injury and it was his first season here. Lamela was crocked.
I'll give Poch credit when he deserves it but not for two fully fit players in year 2 looking a bit better than year 1.

Using my head, I'd have to say least effective five are

Capoue (£8.6m)
Paulinho (£17m)
Soldado (£25.8m)
Fazio (£8m)
Chiriches (£8.5m)

I've listed their purported transfer fees as it plays a part.

Capoue (£8.6m)
Gave him the benefit of the doubt last season, but he's had a lot of came time so far and just hasn't looked anywhere near value for money. Less impact than a development player.

Paulinho (£17m)
Scored some important goals, but by fuck is he not worth the money. Can't see that he's suited to the Premier League and he's by no means shown that he's 2.5 times the player of Chadli (as he was 2.5 times the cost)

Soldado (£25.8m)
Really like Soldado and aside from lack of goals, his team play. If only the price tag didn't hang over him then he'd perhaps get less stick and would no doubt score better without the pressure, but it's a lot of money for not a lot of 'effect'.

Fazio (£8m)
Seems to go nothing but get sent off. Early days, but I was expecting a solid CB not a liability.

Chiriches (£8.5m)
As above. Thought he would offer more to the team, but seems to be another player that was bought as a CB because of everything he does that relates in no way to what we need from a CB.

£16.5 million on two half measure CB's (based on performance so far) is a bit shit

Some of the comments are a little harsh when the guy's just having a go at writing a piece about Spurs... but I guess yet another article about our signings being poor is also not hugely original as we're hearing it every week.
What's more interesting for me is how several young British players have showed some real promise this season - such as Mason, Kane and Davies - which gives me some hope that we can develop something of a core backbone for the club to last some years. For me, though, I wish we still had Caulker. He's not perfect, but is young, learning and improving.
He wanted guaranteed minutes rather than fighting for a place. Not sure we could change that.

Not writing anybody off Dat Guy, just questioning why we spent £10m on him when Rose was being used as 1st choice left-back. Like I say, it's addressing the recruitment and utilisation of talent acquired, not the players themselves.
O.K. the OP seems to have disappeared. And this post is in direct contradiction to his original post. Ignore the troll. Just about everyone on this forum - myself included - would rather not have Baldini anywhere near WHL. And just about everyone on this forum recegnizes the waste of £80+ we got for Bale. We needed a CB, a quality midfielder and a hit man. We got Soldado.....
And regarding last Sunday, Chiriches was a definite improvement over Dier at RB, anyone would have been a better choice than Dembele, Fazio was like Kaboul, a disaster waiting to happen and Davies was at least as good as Rose.

Back
Top Bottom