Tottenham's 5 least effective signings

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

For those who prefer not to read the article but are still commenting on it, here's a note I put on the opening slide:
"*I’m wary of using the term “least effective” as opposed to "worst," as it would be unfair to directly critique the talents of players who have had to adapt to a new league in such a tumultuous environment. Essentially, it serves to question the recruitment process rather than those recruited."
Also, "worst" is a much better headline word for clickbait.

Useless article really.

It lists 5 names, who you say aren't actually the problem but the recruitment is. Instead of talking about this obvious problem you state yourself you just list 5 random guys and call it an article. Not to mention many of the players listed are young and for the future. Who is the target audience of this? Spurs fans, who will call it bullshit? Other fans?

I don't learn anything new. I either disagree or agree. It's an opinion piece, not an article, not worth reading and not news worthy. I may as well write an article calling this article shit and call it news. You've basically done the same.

You didn't really articulate that in the article. In fact, you didn't articulate anything at all on the recruitment process.

Sounds like excuses to try make himself look like less of a tit. I want to talk about the recruitment system of clubs, but I haven't got a fucking clue so I'll just list some bad guys from a club, not comment on the recruitment process at all and hope people know..

"It is fitting that Lamela’s most memorable moment in a Spurs shirt was his outrageous "rabona" in the Europa League." He then goes on to give no reason what so ever why this is "fitting" at all? Ridiculous and pointless.

Doesn't this break some forum rules? He's literally made an account just to self advertise himself. Sin bin vote him?

Ok sure, so the recruitment of a competitive LB is bad business? I disagree. The recruitment of a CB when Dawson was aging and Kaboul was hurt was bad business? I disagree. The recruitment of a 21 year old 20 goal scoring winger who could replace Townsend and Lennnon is bad business? I disagree. The recruitment of a 28-9 year old 20 goal scorer for five straight seasons is bad business? I disagree.
Sounds like top 4 here we come.

Not sure about the order, but the players are just about right when you take into account the fact that he's stated it's just for the last 3 transfer windows. The only one I'd really challenge is Davies because he's so recent and hasn't turned in bad performances, he's just been brought through slowly. The rationalle for being 'least effective' is that we don't need him if we're sticking with Rose, which is not at all accurate given Rose's errors last season and our lack of cover there. Capoue probably ought to take that slot, even though he hasn't been exactly terrible - he's just not been as good as he was in the first few games before he picked up an injury.

Soldado is ahead of Paulinho for me because people tend to forget that Paulinho was decent for the first 6 months after his arrival (although slightly inconsistent) and has only turned to utter turd from the second half of his debut season. On the other hand, Soldado was bought in to be a goal scorer and has consistently failed to fulfil that role throughout his time here aside from a half decent Europa run last season.

How can anyone say Lamela hasn't been an ineffective signing? We paid £30m for him. That's a hell of a lot for a player that is undoubtedly talented but has shown little return on that investment.

I'd say to some people in this thread - pay attention to the subject (least effective) and the timespan (last 3 windows), and stop being immediately defensive. Based on the players we've bought since Bale:

Fryers - virtually free
Paulinho
Chadli
Soldado
Capoue
Chiriches
Eriksen - Excellent
Lamela
Davies
Vorm - Unknown, fills a need
Dier
Yedlin - Unknown
Stambouli - Unknown
Fazio - Too early

...who would you pick differently? There's probably only one or two players you could swap!

Last edited:
Most of which came before Bale was sold, which was the point of this article - how we reinvested the Bale money.
But even this is inaccurate. Paulinho was recruited before the Bale move was on. As was Soldado. The logic of the list is flawed because it's assuming something which isn't true.

But even this is inaccurate. Paulinho was recruited before the Bale move was on. As was Soldado. The logic of the list is flawed because it's assuming something which isn't true.

I think we all know that the Bale money was being spent before his move was made formal. Do you really think that we'd have spent almost £90m on new players if we didn't know Bale was going?

Not sure if pointless is the best word, but my five biggest flops:

5. Fazio (may as well have kept Dawson, similar age).
4. Paulinho (Attitude stinks, very occasional good display)
3. Holtby (not for the want of trying)
2. Soldado (Unlucky but lazy, cant hit a barn door)
1. Baldini (nuff said, without him this thread wouldnt exist. Get him out)

Lamela & Chadli narrowly escape, due to their recent resurgance under Poch (credit to him).

Back
Top Bottom