Tottenham's 5 least effective signings

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Evening all,
Agree with my 'Tottenham Hotspurs' 5 Least Effective Signings' piece on Bleacher Report? It looks at Spurs' recruitment process over the last three transfer windows.
Appreciate it if somebody could post a link to it as I'm new to the forum.
Great to see Davies finally get a chance today, barely noticeable which is a nice change for a Spurs full-back.

Last edited:
5 Chiriches - Hardly broke the bank for him.
4 Ben Davies - Very young, has shown glimpses of being a solid option.Ridiculous to write him off already.
3 Soldado
2 Lamela - Very young, first real season with us. Has shown he can beat players, grab assists, close down etc. Unlucky to not have more goals hit the wood work a few times. Terrible choice for list.
1 Paulinho

Please be more detailed with your feedback. Perhaps it's lacking the correct application of commas?

Im not clicking on the link to give the views for ads. Ive read previous articles from there and im often laughing at them. You surely cant believe bleacher report is a reputable paper for soccer/football.

For your list - Chiriches has played shit this year, disregarding today. But last season he looked very, very good. I disagree that he was our fifth worst signing.

Ben davies hasnt had a chance to play that often because Rose has been so good. When he has played it hasnt been stellar, but it hasnt been bad. Although I disagee with Soldado, I can see the rational. I completely disagree with Lamela. He has shown that he has incredible potential and that he is also a inexperienced 22 year old. You cant judge him on an injury ridden season and half of a season of playing. Paulinho I agree.

Not writing anybody off Dat Guy, just questioning why we spent £10m on him when Rose was being used as 1st choice left-back. Like I say, it's addressing the recruitment and utilisation of talent acquired, not the players themselves.

Not writing anybody off Dat Guy, just questioning why we spent £10m on him when Rose was being used as 1st choice left-back. Like I say, it's addressing the recruitment and utilisation of talent acquired, not the players themselves.

Then why the fuck arent you writing an article on how bad Baldini/Levy/Scouting/Recruiting is rather than abusing the players, who you are wrong to abuse.

For those who prefer not to read the article but are still commenting on it, here's a note I put on the opening slide:
"*I’m wary of using the term “least effective” as opposed to "worst," as it would be unfair to directly critique the talents of players who have had to adapt to a new league in such a tumultuous environment. Essentially, it serves to question the recruitment process rather than those recruited."

Because 1 LB is suicidal bro. Every top team needs two players fullbacks for each side, no questions asked.
For us no Davies means that if Rose is injured, either Naughton is played on the wrong side, or Vert is played there which means A] he is not at his best there B] he is unhappy there C] we do not have our best CB playing in his best position.

The signing was much needed.

For those who prefer not to read the article but are still commenting on it, here's a note I put on the opening slide:
"*I’m wary of using the term “least effective” as opposed to "worst," as it would be unfair to directly critique the talents of players who have had to adapt to a new league in such a tumultuous environment. Essentially, it serves to question the recruitment process rather than those recruited."

Again...

Then why the fuck arent you writing an article on how bad Baldini/Levy/Scouting/Recruiting is rather than abusing the players, who you are wrong to abuse.

That's the point of the article Sanchez. The signings exemplify the recruitment process.

Ok sure, so the recruitment of a competitive LB is bad business? I disagree. The recruitment of a CB when Dawson was aging and Kaboul was hurt was bad business? I disagree. The recruitment of a 21 year old 20 goal scoring winger who could replace Townsend and Lennnon is bad business? I disagree. The recruitment of a 28-9 year old 20 goal scorer for five straight seasons is bad business? I disagree.

: ostrich: I would not make a list to start, whether it is "least effective" "worst" or another equivalent term. most of these players have been diabolical, and occasionally decent, in their own way and deserve to be evaluated on their merits. It is insulting to me personally that the unique frustration of a Ciriches marauding run and a Soldado errant header should be compared. COYS:adethumbup:

he was the only left back at the club. imo you present this fact in a way that obscures crucial details

Last edited:
If you read the article you'll see it's our worst signings in the last three transfer windows - in other words from the Bale money.
Don't think that all of that was the Bale money. Paulinho was requested by AVB to play alongside him, not replace him. Same with Soldado.

And why focus on the last three windows? It's such an arbitrary window when we've got magnificent examples of bad choices stretching back decades.

Because about 10 million is the going rate for a competent left back in the Premier League. It's a hard position to recruit for, and you can't really afford a drop-off, talent-wise since fullbacks have become possibly the most important positions in contemporary football.

There were a lot of smarter arguments to make than Davies.

Back
Top Bottom