Tottenham Hotstats

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I just found these stats on www.WhoScored.com. They make for good reading unless you are a demented Woolwich bum. :coys:
5odoc3.jpg

2lm2xsp.jpg

zjtrp2.jpg

Stat I wasn't expecting, Tottenham have used the most players compared to the rest of the current top four in PL games

Vorm, Lloris, Walker, Trippier, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Wimmer, Davies, Rose, Dier, Dembele, Mason, Bentaleb, Carroll, Lamela, Townsend, Onomah, Pritchard, Eriksen, Alli, Son, Chadli, N'Jie and Kane.

We've used everyone except Fazio. Not a very surprising stat, imo.

Vorm, Lloris, Walker, Trippier, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Wimmer, Davies, Rose, Dier, Dembele, Mason, Bentaleb, Carroll, Lamela, Townsend, Onomah, Pritchard, Eriksen, Alli, Son, Chadli, N'Jie and Kane.

We've used everyone except Fazio. Not a very surprising stat, imo.

We seem to have consistently played a similar core of players, so for those of us who don't keep Rain Man esque lists of the squad rotations of every team in the PL, it was a surprising comparison

No idea what some of those statistics mean.

Though I must say, that Leicester and Liverpool article, like many statisticians, is laughable.

At the end of the day, if you only allow one shot on target per game, but it is a chance a blind man could not miss, you still suck. Statistics can never tell you the actual value of each number. They are never equal.

Tame Lennon shots on target twenty times a game will yield you no goals.

And each death on the battlefield does not reflect the true loss suffered.

Though I must say, that Leicester and Liverpool article, like many statisticians, is laughable.

At the end of the day, if you only allow one shot on target per game, but it is a chance a blind man could not miss, you still suck. Statistics can never tell you the actual value of each number. They are never equal.

You rather missed the point, but that's ok. Look back through the thread for a few primer articles, or just ignore it all, you don't have to follow this stuff. But your analogy is poor, and clubs (in particular Spurs) do find this stuff of great value. So, it's you versus the club in this case.

Actually, quite a lot of football statisticians track shot quality.

Your ignorance shows, yet again.

Some good stuff on Leicester...Also, some good visual explanations of the lay of the land:

As wonderfully detailed as those stats are, they are just that; STATISTICS!
Can they predict if Walker will have a brainfart at a crucial moment on Sunday...? Dunno...
...can they predict at what minute the Spurs fans will start a rousing chorus of "Oh When the Spuuuuuuuurs" which may or may not indirectly influence and inspire our players to have the confidence go on a foray that leads to a goal...? I doubt it...
Cos if they could... we'd all be down the bookies immediately to stake our entire life savings on SUCH a predictable event...they merely suggest... they don't take into account we're talking about HUMAN BEINGS here... SOME of whom are fallible on occasions!
I prefer the uncertainty of it all, thanks.

Can they predict if Walker will have a brainfart at a crucial moment on Sunday...? Dunno...
...can they predict at what minute the Spurs fans will start a rousing chorus of "Oh When the Spuuuuuuuurs" which may or may not indirectly influence and inspire our players to have the confidence go on a foray that leads to a goal...? I doubt it...
Cos if they could... we'd all be down the bookies immediately to stake our entire life savings on SUCH a predictable event...they merely suggest... they don't take into account we're talking about HUMAN BEINGS here... SOME of whom are fallible on occasions!

Anyone with a grasp of statistics and probability will know that you can't use statistics of past games to say anything certain about one future game or a future string of games. So even though we read statistics and find them interesting, we can't remove the uncertainty.

What the statistics can do, is to say something about the likelihood of future success, and, more certainly, how deserved our current standing is.

To me, football isn't all about the points we've got, but just as importantly how we've got them. I'm glad we're not a bus parking team that gets its points from playing destructive football.

The statistics, more than the points in the table, says that we've absolutely fenomenal this year.

It's more important than reading stats to actually watch the games, to see how fantastic we've been. But it's nice to have the stats to back the impression up, especially when discussing football with a rival fan who may not have seen s much of our games as we have.

Then why'd you click on the thread in the first place? I don't think you quite get what the discussion in here is, or how this stuff works. That's fine, you don't have to, but why click on the thread to simply say you don't understand and don't want to?

Back
Top Bottom