Tottenham Hotspur have just finished 3rd in the Premier League

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yes but do we need too many changes?
We need to add not take away.

The main ones that keep coming up to get rid are Fazio, Mason, Bentelab and Carroll.

All I'm saying is that a few more need to be considered

Will be very interesting seeing our squad at the start of next season

I'm not melting and think it's been a successful season but the last 3.5 games have been unacceptable and a few of our senior players need to look hard at themselves!

Poch has a reputation for being ruthless

We'll see!

:pochserious:

If anyone should feel embarrassed it's Woolwich. The year that City and Chavs go missing, they fall from the top spectacularly and lose the title.
We, however, were never at the top. We were always behind. Yet we played better than them all but 4 games, WBA, CFC, SFC and Newcastle, they had WBA -who didn't turn up - Norwich, Man City and Villa.
I am sure we would have got 3 points from Villa and Norwich at home even without Ali and Dembele.
Yes it's fucking sad we didn't finish above them, but remember this squad is far from the finished article.
The only two who could hold their heads up on Sunday were Lamela and Kane. We nearly did it, but the shit first half fucked us. It was unacceptable, but there is a reason why. The whole team must act as a unit. It has been until it has to suffer replacements. We then look like a different team, especially without the two who were missing.
They have 4 DM, we have a CB trying out in his first year. We have nobody to replace Dembele. They have Coquelin, Atrteta, Flamini and Elneney they could call ball winners.
Dier was brutally exposed by a Mason who has been fucked by injuries and couldn't atm press his trousers. I have been a fans of his, but since coming back from another injury he has looked miles off the pace and a liability. Jumping into what become last gasp tackles in midfield.
It was clear form Saints at home when Claise and Wanayma run midfield.
We were just lucky we never suffered any long term injuries to more than one key player. They, the mugs from Plumstead, have a massive squad.
So, let's not be too pissed off.
We all knew the squad was lacking, if we kept in check with reality, that was evident in Europe and cup games.
Maybe this has done as a favour. We need to strengthen with players who can come in and do a job. It has been proven now.
Just let it sink in, Dembele, the underachiever, and Ali, the kid from league one, were fucking awesome. We need two like players who can do just as good a job, A CB and another forward.
Poch has got to be ruthless and Levy needs to back him.

If anyone should feel embarrassed it's Woolwich. The year that City and Chavs go missing, they fall from the top spectacularly and lose the title.
We, however, were never at the top. We were always behind. Yet we played better than them all but 4 games, WBA, CFC, SFC and Newcastle, they had WBA -who didn't turn up - Norwich, Man City and Villa.
I am sure we would have got 3 points from Villa and Norwich at home even without Ali and Dembele.
Yes it's fucking sad we didn't finish above them, but remember this squad is far from the finished article.
The only two who could hold their heads up on Sunday were Lamela and Kane. We nearly did it, but the shit first half fucked us. It was unacceptable, but there is a reason why. The whole team must act as a unit. It has been until it has to suffer replacements. We then look like a different team, especially without the two who were missing.
They have 4 DM, we have a CB trying out in his first year. We have nobody to replace Dembele. They have Coquelin, Atrteta, Flamini and Elneney they could call ball winners.
Dier was brutally exposed by a Mason who has been fucked by injuries and couldn't atm press his trousers. I have been a fans of his, but since coming back from another injury he has looked miles off the pace and a liability. Jumping into what become last gasp tackles in midfield.
We were just lucky we never suffered any long term injuries to more than one key player. They, the mugs from Plumstead, have a massive squad.
We all knew the squad was lacking, if we kept in check with reality, that was evident in Europe and cup games.
Maybe this has done as a favour. We need to strengthen with players who can come in and do a job. It has been proven now.
Just let it sink in, Dembele, the underachiever, and Ali, the kid from league one, were fucking awesome. We need two like players who can do just as good a job, A CB and another forward.
Poch has got to be ruthless and Levy needs to back him.

One thing we have to remind ourselves is our players are not fans like us. (besides Kane) Most of them couldn't give a fuck if they finished above Woolwich. Sure they might say they do, but they don't really feel the same about it as we do.

I think it was natural after the Chelsea result, our heads dropped and a lot of the players mentally checked out.

That being said these are still highly paid professionals and the effort shown the last 3 matches was totally unacceptable. Just going through the motions. Overall, it was a very successful season, however it is hard not to be left with a sour taste on how it ended.
This is absolutely it. Because any fan would show the same commitment in finishing above them as in trying to win the title.

At one level I suppose you can't blame them for not having the mentality of a fan. Why would they, I suppose? But if they won't do that for us then I won't show any special loyalty to any player if I don't think they're doing the business on the pitch, unless they are someone like Dawson or Robbo who has demonstrated that they do think and feel like a fan (or Livermore who was a proper Spurs fan). I won't be afraid to slag them off at a game, or to boo them...I'd never booed before Sunday.

The whole thing shows the disconnect between fans and players, which is very sad really.

Another point. If you had told me at the start of the season, or especially after three or four games, when we weren't playing well, that we would finish third, above City, Chelsea, Man Utd and Liverpool, and that Woolwich wouldn't win the league...and yet the last day of the season would be one of my worst ever Spurs games, and I'd feel utterly humiliated, angry and depressed...

Well, um, I wouldn't have believed you.

It really has been a strange season.

Can't be bothered to read all the post match/season threads but the FB melting has been incredible.

After completely and royally cunting them all off I culled every Gooner and Hammer (dont know any Chelsea) and I also went into a couple of epic rants on some Spurs groups about so called Yids throwing their toys out of the pram.

Billy no mates now....fuck 'em.

This is all very true... but it's hard to get your point across to them amid the relentless droning, smug tirade of "It's happened again..."

as and WHEN we finally break this fucking witches curse... I'm gonna go fucking Medieval on every fucking smugcunt Gooner I see....
FOR E-VERRRRR!

This is absolutely it. Because any fan would show the same commitment in finishing above them as in trying to win the title.

At one level I suppose you can't blame them for not having the mentality of a fan. Why would they, I suppose? But if they won't do that for us then I won't show any special loyalty to any player if I don't think they're doing the business on the pitch, unless they are someone like Dawson or Robbo who has demonstrated that they do think and feel like a fan (or Livermore who was a proper Spurs fan). I won't be afraid to slag them off at a game, or to boo them...I'd never booed before Sunday.

The whole thing shows the disconnect between fans and players, which is very sad really.

We needed players like Dawson and Sandro on Sunday

Sadly we haven't got any
(I'm not talking football ability here)

Walker has had the odd good game and is a superb athlete

Not enough and if you want proof of his attitude have another look at Hazard's goal when he played a one two with Costa and Walker just trotted behind him making no effort to mark or put a meaningful challenge in.
Then his ridiculous kick out at Pedro where he was lucky not to receive a straight red!
Not convinced?
Then look at Newcastle's 2nd when, again, his positional sense and desire went missing!
Not good enough and he doesn't learn making the same mistakes!
Walker had a few poor games towards the end (as did many). Up until then, he was solid defending and going forward, and was a credit to the best defence in the league.

I still believe you're allowing the final few games could your judgement of his season as a whole. I would like to see a post where you were pulling him apart during the season.

Sick at finishing one point behind those cunts but it occured to me this morning had we taken 12 points from the last 4 games we'd have finished 1 point behind Leicester which would have been a real gutter.

Sick at finishing one point behind those cunts but it occured to me this morning had we taken 12 points from the last 4 games we'd have finished 1 point behind Leicester which would have been a real gutter.

That's mental actually, I think that would have hurt for a lot longer as well.

Here's my season review piece:

The Tactical Principles of Pochettino’s Title Challenging Tottenham Hotspur

But lengthy to copy/paste into a post like I usually do.
This is a fantastic piece mate and should be read by everyone. Bardi Bardi maybe this should even be made into an article on it's own.

I agree with almost all of it but I'll throw in a couple of my own thoughts:
Lloris
As you mentioned Lloris's game is not about being a sweeper keeper anymore, the tag has stuck with him and is regurgitated out by a lazy media which also reinforces it as a default fan description of him but it is rare that you will see him act out this role more than 4 or 5 times this season as opposed to once or twice a game under AVB.
However, I do think this has bought about a minor problem to his game. He is having to "think" more about his position rather than instinctively act. The process to "think" has caused a slight element of indecisiveness to his game. Prior to this season I'd put one of Lloris's biggest strengths is his ability to make a split second decision (almost instinctive) and commit 100% to it (the other is to save and parry the ball away of oppo threat). This season he has made a conscious decision to stay routed to his line, or even taking a step or two backwards and on these occasions he has been beaten or conceded a goal. Despite our impressive goals conceded tally, there have been several occasions this season when we have all said "he could have done better with that". Not howlers, but getting beat at near post a few times, Sanchez equaliser etc.. In prior seasons he would have been on his toes faster and narrowed the angle quicker. I am also conscious whilst I write this that this decision to remain further back could be part of a bigger jigsaw puzzle that is part of the reason why we have conceded so few goals collectively.
Vertonghen
For all of his ability on the ball when isolated one on one with him facing his own goal there is only one winner and that is unfortunately is not Verts.
Dier
Very interesting comments on his future role. Personally I see his future development as DM. The only reason is that he didn't excel as a CB or RB but has excelled as a DM but acknowledge that there are some limitations that may prevent him developing into a world class DM.
Eriksen
Spot-on analysis, although I don't think he didn't put his authority on a game until Bournemouth away. Worthy of mention again is his ability to move the ball quickly on often with one touch that gets missed by many, in Ali's wonder goal against Palace it was his lay off header that fed Ali, another header this time for Rose who then assisted Lamela's goal against Utd and then arguably pass of the season was his first time ball from the half way line to Ali for him to score our 2nd against Stoke.
Lamela
The only thing that I'll add is that for the "Big" games he turns up, often one of the best players on the pitch. During these games he has often been the out-ball when we are experiencing a phase of pressure and has helped us regain control back. I wouldn't moan at him if he did pick-up a 2nd yellow, his intensity is the embodiment of this team, without it the tone of the team would be worse off.
Ali
I love his temperament, whilst on the edge at times, it is this temperament that will win us titles not loose them.
Fitness
Drop off - I do not buy into the Bielsa stuff, if his team dropped off then more fool him, just because Poch came from his school doesn't mean Poch's teams should be given the same label. When people were talking of a drop off this season the stats showed we were running even further in the run-in than earlier in the season, we were sprinting more too as we upped out intensity. We achieved the same points total for the first half of the season as in the 2nd half of the season, amazing what a chance to win the title does to motivation.
Did the performance drop of yes but we invested everything (physically and mentally) to challenge for the title, the draw against WBA was the end, the body language of the players at the final whistle tells you all you need to know what that result meant. "Running on adrenaline" maybe some truth in this description but I am more comfortable explaining it as "Motivation" and with nothing to play for (not wanting to derail the thread by getting into finishing above scum is something to play for) the title had gone we found it impossible to play at the intensity that we have been accustom too. The mindset has to include the 11 on the field, it only takes one or two not to buy-in and like a pack of cards it folds.

Last edited:
This is a fantastic piece mate and should be read by everyone. Bardi Bardi maybe this should even be made into an article on it's own.

I agree with almost all of it but I'll throw in a couple of my own thoughts:
Lloris
As you mentioned Lloris's game is not about being a sweeper keeper anymore, the tag has stuck with him and is regurgitated out by a lazy media which also reinforces it as a default fan description of him but it is rare that you will see him act out this role more than 4 or 5 times this season as opposed to once or twice a game under AVB.
However, I do think this has bought about a minor problem to his game. He is having to "think" more about his position rather than instinctively act. The process to "think" has caused a slight element of indecisiveness to his game. Prior to this season I'd put one of Lloris's biggest strengths is his ability to make a split second decision (almost instinctive) and commit 100% to it (the other is to save and parry the ball away of oppo threat). This season he has made a conscious decision to stay routed to his line, or even taking a step or two backwards and on these occasions he has been beaten or conceded a goal. Despite our impressive goals conceded tally, there have been several occasions this season when we have all said "he could have done better with that". Not howlers, but getting beat at near post a few times, Sanchez equaliser etc.. In prior seasons he would have been on his toes faster and narrowed the angle quicker. I am also conscious whilst I write this that this decision to remain further back could be part of a bigger jigsaw puzzle that is part of the reason why we have conceded so few goals collectively.
Vertonghen
For all of his ability on the ball when isolated one on one with him facing his own goal there is only one winner and that is unfortunately is not Verts.
Dier
Very interesting comments on his future role. Personally I see his future development as DM. The only reason is that he didn't excel as a CB or RB but has excelled as a DM but acknowledge that there are some limitations that may prevent him developing into a world class DM.
Eriksen
Spot-on analysis, although I don't think he didn't put his authority on a game until Bournemouth away. Worthy of mention again is his ability to move the ball quickly on often with one touch that gets missed by many, in Ali's wonder goal against Palace it was his lay off header that fed Ali, another header this time for Rose who then assisted Lamela's goal against Utd and then arguably pass of the season was his first time ball from the half way line to Ali for him to score our 2nd against Stoke.
Lamela
The only thing that I'll add is that for the "Big" games he turns up, often one of the best players on the pitch. During these games he has often been the out-ball when we are experiencing a phase of pressure and has helped us regain control back. I wouldn't moan at him if he did pick-up a 2nd yellow, his intensity is the embodiment of this team, without it the tone of the team would be worse off.
Ali
I love his temperament, whilst on the edge at times, it is this temperament that will win us titles not loose them.
Fitness
Drop off
I do not buy into the Bielsa stuff, if his team dropped off then more fool him, just because Poch came from his school doesn't mean Poch's teams should be given the same label. When people were talking of a drop off this season the stats showed we were running even further in the run-in than earlier in the season, we were sprinting more too as we upped out intensity. We achieved the same points total for the first half of the season as in the 2nd half of the season, amazing what a chance to win the title does to motivation.
Did the performance drop of yes but we invested everything (physically and mentally) to challenge for the title, the draw against WBA was the end, the body language of the players at the final whistle tells you all you need to know what that result meant. "Running on adrenaline" maybe some truth in this description but I am more comfortable explaining it as "Motivation" and with nothing to play for (not wanting to derail the thread by getting into finishing above scum is something to play for) the title had gone we found it impossible to play at the intensity that we have been accustom too. The mindset has to include the 11 on the field, it only takes one or two not to buy-in and like a pack of cards it folds.
Thanks for the share.

I am aware of TTT and a fan of his work already :)

I've got a close eye on him

Walker had a few poor games towards the end (as did many). Up until then, he was solid defending and going forward, and was a credit to the best defence in the league.

I still believe you're allowing the final few games could your judgement of his season as a whole. I would like to see a post where you were pulling him apart during the season.

I believe I have both praised and criticised Walker in the past but, unlike some sad twats on here, I can't be arsed to troll through my posts for evidence but I note that you haven't commented on the two examples I've provided!

We need a better RB who, although fast and can occasionally put in a tackle, has no positional sense, often doesn't track back and when he gets in a position to cross 9 times out of 10 can't do so!

He wd do well at Watford, Sunderland, Hull etc and is a nice lad etc but for we want to be we have to do better!

Yes I know he's in Roy Hodgson's plans but so was Mason who wd also do well at the aforementioned clubs

I believe I have both praised and criticised Walker in the past but, unlike some sad twats on here, I can't be arsed to troll through my posts for evidence but I note that you haven't commented on the two examples I've provided!

We need a better RB who, although fast and can occasionally put in a tackle, has no positional sense, often doesn't track back and when he gets in a position to cross 9 times out of 10 can't do so!

He wd do well at Watford, Sunderland, Hull etc and is a nice lad etc but for we want to be we have to do better!

Yes I know he's in Roy Hodgson's plans but so was Mason who wd also do well at the aforementioned clubs
We'll have to agree to disagree. I think he's one of the best RB's in the league, and far far better than the clubs you mention he should play for.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I think he's one of the best RB's in the league, and far far better than the clubs you mention he should play for.

Ok mate!

I'll trust in Poch and if he has as 1st choice next season then fair enough

Back
Top Bottom