Tottenham Hotspur have just finished 3rd in the Premier League

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Now the season is over we can get some perspective. See our recent record. 70 points is same as 2010, less than 2013 & 0nly 1 point more than 2014 & 2012. Whilst the position of 3rd is better that is more about the opposition not getting the points. Our best season is 2013 because we got 72 points.
We should have the most points ever but due to that shitty performance have not and this has ruined the opportunity to claim our best league performance in years.

Season
Lev League Pos Pld W D L F A W D L F A W D L F A Pts
2015/2016 1 Barclays Premier League 3rd/20 38 10 6 3 35 15 9 7 3 34 20 19 13 6 69 35 70
2014/2015 1 Barclays Premier League 5th/20 38 10 3 6 31 24 9 4 6 27 29 19 7 12 58 53 64
2013/2014 1 Barclays Premier League 6th/20 38 11 3 5 30 23 10 3 6 25 28 21 6 11 55 51 69
2012/2013 1 Barclays Premier League 5th/20 38 11 5 3 29 18 10 4 5 37 28 21 9 8 66 46 72
2011/2012 1 Barclays Premier League 4th/20 38 13 3 3 39 17 7 6 6 27 24 20 9 9 66 41 69
2010/2011 1 Barclays Premier League 5th/20 38 9 9 1 30 19 7 5 7 25 27 16 14 8 55 46 62
2009/2010 1 Barclays Premier League 4th/20 38 14 2 3 40 12 7 5 7 27 29 21 7 10 67 41 70
Points tally is only relevant to the season you're in. These stats are completely irrelevant to each other, as all teams/results are different each year. Are you trying take the gloss of what was a fantastic season?

I'm ready to take pelters for this, but I'll say it anyway.

We were never winning that league. Once it became clear Leicester weren't going to fold, the fairytale was made play out. They should have conceded four penalties in two games, 3 were blatant handballs, not to mention the Huth-rapes. Somehow they all went unpunished.

Now look at the what has happened. Leicester is now huge in Thailand. More millions pouring into the Fattest-cat league in the World.

I'm not saying it was a fix, but I do believe things were helped along
The Danny Simpson save was the fucking icing on the cake. Incredible, incredible decision to not send him off, let alone not even give a penalty. You just knew the stars were aligning.

That, and every cunting player and manager backing them publicly even though they still have to play at least one of us. How those comments have gone unpunished is beyond me. But who fucking cares, it's only Spurs, ey?

Fergie would've torn the FA a new hole if that happened during his reign.

This place is toxic when we lose.. as it's been so rare this year, it's been really bad when we do.. Listen to some of you!!!. Anyway, cya all back in August. Enjoy the Euros.

It’s still our highest finish in my lifetime. To finish 3rd with the Prem’s youngest squad, only gifting 2nd to a team that really should have won it anyway, on the last day and by 1 point, is good. Galling, agonising, way to do it, and to 'them' – but 3rd is still more than anyone expected from Spurs. And clear progress.

When the dust settles and the hype of St Tot's Day diminishes, the Goons will be unquestionably the more frustrated set of fans. They’ve not been as strong as this in 10 years, and never had a better chance with the usual suspects not turning up – yet they still finished 10 points behind 1st, even having been 1st in Jan.

This place is toxic when we lose.. as it's been so rare this year, it's been really bad when we do.. Listen to some of you!!!. Anyway, cya all back in August. Enjoy the Euros.
I don't a bad run of form makes it toxic, it's just a bigger catalyst for discussion.

Pochettino said that it was plain to see that the tactics were correct and it was just a player issue.. I don't agree. I think the change to 3 at the back when we were already getting shafted on the break was suicidal.

I think we have been let down by the entire playing and coaching staff these past few weeks, but it doesn't mean I hate Tottenham. It's like your brother getting pissed up and acting a prick, you'll cane him for it... but he's still your brother.

It’s still our highest finish in my lifetime. To finish 3rd with the Prem’s youngest squad, only gifting 2nd to a team that really should have won it anyway, on the last day and by 1 point, is good. Galling, agonising, way to do it, and to 'them' – but 3rd is still more than anyone expected from Spurs. And clear progress.

When the dust settles and the hype of St Tot's Day diminishes, the Goons will be unquestionably the more frustrated set of fans. They’ve not been as strong as this in 10 years, and never had a better chance with the usual suspects not turning up – yet they still finished 10 points behind 1st, even having been 1st in Jan.
Its their highest finish since they moved, dont let their self entitled delusional fans cloud that little fact.

And yes 3rd is more than people expected at the start of the season but that isnt how football works and i certainly expected us to go further in cup competitions than we did, so given we blew the first one against that lot by fielding a weakened side (unacceptable) and then blew the the fa cup against palace again fielding a weakened side (same again with the europa)...

Sunday would be a lot easier to stomach if we had an fa cup final on the horizon wouldnt it.

We've been second for months and pissed it away, so no third isn't acceptable in light of that especially as such a big deal was made about now only having one game a week to concentrate on.

Its their highest finish since they moved, dont let their self entitled delusional fans cloud that little fact.

And yes 3rd is more than people expected at the start of the season but that isnt how football works and i certainly expected us to go further in cup competitions than we did, so given we blew the first one against that lot by fielding a weakened side (unacceptable) and then blew the the fa cup against palace again fielding a weakened side (same again with the europa)...

Sunday would be a lot easier to stomach if we had an fa cup final on the horizon wouldnt it.

We've been second for months and pissed it away, so no third isn't acceptable in light of that especially as such a big deal was made about now only having one game a week to concentrate on.

Glass half full, glass half empty. With Tottenham it's alway piss thats in the glass tho...

The failure yesterday was partly attitude but definitely tactical. You don't go 3 at the back against a Benitez side EVER, I don't care if they've got 11 players or 7 on the pitch. The guy owes his career to counter attacking football on the break and we played right into his hands.

You can blame the players for their performance, but it's the tactics that killed us. Poch learned a number of lessons from his first season in charge to the second - let's hope he learned another lesson yesterday.

We didn't go to 3 at the back - Alderweireld went to right back and Dier to centre back.

Not from what I saw. We had 3 (arguably fewer) at the back after Walker went off

What we did was sacrifice the holding midfielder - but continued with the fullbacks attacking, Alderweireld's ability to sprint back is much worse than Walker's.

Those things combined made us look much more open.........but it's not really like losing 5-1 or 2-1 matters, we had to take risks.

What we did was sacrifice the holding midfielder - but continued with the fullbacks attacking, Alderweireld's ability to sprint back is much worse than Walker's.

Those things combined made us look much more open.........but it's not really like losing 5-1 or 2-1 matters, we had to take risks.
Oh I agree that the scoreline became irrelevant. Damage limitation was never an option. We were forced to push on when it went to 3-1 & that was down to a shocking penalty decision. I thought that until that penalty decision we were limping slowly back into the game in the second half & looked far more likely to get the next goal. The scenario thereafter was tailor made for Benitez to use his counter attacking style. And we were punished badly.
Perhaps the 3/4 at the back argument is down to the fact that it was an indistinguishable mess in the last 15 minutes? Anyway, I'm done trying to figure out exactly what happened on Sunday. It was a fucking abomination, end of story!
Thankfully, horror stories like that do seem to be getting fewer by the season & hopefully Poch & co address it through the summer

But they won't be like previous competition purchased; Chiriches, Capoue, Stambouli etc. They'll be genuinely hungry talents that push those in the first team to perform or be dropped. I have faith in Poch.

I can't even bring myself to read it to be honest. I assume the worst...

Walker has been quality. Verts has been part of the best defence in the league this season. Davies as good a backup to Rose as you could expect. Son needs another season under his belt, and more first team football. He'll come good. Calling to get rid of Eriksen is just madness. 2nd top assister and most chances created in the league this season (I think) - and you want rid because of a couple of games? Knee-jerk doesn't even begin to explain it...

The rest I agree with.

Walker has had the odd good game and is a superb athlete

Not enough and if you want proof of his attitude have another look at Hazard's goal when he played a one two with Costa and Walker just trotted behind him making no effort to mark or put a meaningful challenge in.
Then his ridiculous kick out at Pedro where he was lucky not to receive a straight red!
Not convinced?
Then look at Newcastle's 2nd when, again, his positional sense and desire went missing!
Not good enough and he doesn't learn making the same mistakes!

Agree about my knee jerk reaction about Eriksen, Son may come good and, at least Davies made an effort on Sunday!

Couldn't agree more. If nothing else I hope this finish dispels the notion that only concentrating on one competition and playing once a week helps our results. In the past few seasons we have had our worst performances in the last few weeks with only EPL to concentrate on. Small time thinking, we are a big club and shouldn't be turning our noses up at any competitions.

It's an odd argument about 'turning our noses up' at a Competition... surely playing the Youth team in the so called 'lesser Comps' makes an element of sense, as they will be EAGER to impress and push for a place in the 1st team... and as such
.. put in a fucking performance that may not win the game, but they'll certainly die trying... unlike SUNDAY!

Carroll and Mason are no longer youth players eager to impress...they are adequate squad players at best, and seeing as our two best midfielders were suspended due to sheer stupidity, Mason and Carroll got called in to plug a gap... disastrously as it turns out, but those are the only tools we had left in the box!
The fact Verts, Walker and most inexplicably Lloris have let us down in recent weeks proves that the example being set by the 'older pros' is one of; CL secured... job done, go home early...' rather than trying to surpass even THAT achievement with the relative luxury of 3 games to go.

What does that show the youngsters... that finishing 2nd doesn't really matter, 'cos Winning the league or finishing ahead of the Arse wasn't in the contract... 4th was the aim, so we'll leave it there!

It's a shame the players couldn't take it upon themselves to work it out.

It's an odd argument about 'turning our noses up' at a Competition... surely playing the Youth team in the so called 'lesser Comps' makes an element of sense, as they will be EAGER to impress and push for a place in the 1st team... and as such
.. put in a fucking performance that may not win the game, but they'll certainly die trying... unlike SUNDAY!

Carroll and Mason are no longer youth players eager to impress...they are adequate squad players at best, and seeing as our two best midfielders were suspended due to sheer stupidity, Mason and Carroll got called in to plug a gap... disastrously as it turns out, but those are the only tools we had left in the box!
The fact Verts, Walker and most inexplicably Lloris have let us down in recent weeks proves that the example being set by the 'older pros' is one of; CL secured... job done, go home early...' rather than trying to surpass even THAT achievement with the relative luxury of 3 games to go.

What does that show the youngsters... that finishing 2nd doesn't really matter, 'cos Winning the league or finishing ahead of the Arse wasn't in the contract... 4th was the aim, so we'll leave it there!

It's a shame the players couldn't take it upon themselves to work it out.
I think you hit the nail on the head, our squad isn't nearly deep enough. I am all for promoting from within but we also have to plug some holes externally. We took the field with zero chance of progressing against Dortmund.

Back
Top Bottom