Tommy Carroll

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I saw tommy live last Monday night for the u/21's v the pikeys,
he was the oldest player on the pitch for us and he was shite tbh & totally outplayed by his midfield
partner who happened to be the youngest on the pitch .. harry winks.

I cannot see any scenario where tommy will make it with us!.. he's 22 near 23 and
imho has gone backwards.

Still maintain that the kid (not kid anymore) won't make it at Spurs, but if he will it's a club like Swansea that'll help him get there.

I just think we simply have too much quality in midfield for a player like Carroll to break through now. 6 or 7 years ago, he'd be starting for us. But not now.

Let's be honest - this move is Carrols last chance to shine. If he does well at Swansea this year then who knows what will happen. If he doesn't get a shot then he'll be off - probably for a career in the lower leagues.

Anyway, I wish him all the best for the year ahead.

Tom is too specialized and not all round enough for modern game. And he is not utilizing his speciality often enough. Too few goals and assists.
Shall just keep Bentalab instead, whom I feel is very similar but younger.
Swansea loan is good for both players and club. Ideally sell him on a high next summer after a hopefully good season with them.

Tom is too specialized and not all round enough for modern game. And he is not utilizing his speciality often enough. Too few goals and assists.
Shall just keep Bentalab instead, whom I feel is very similar but younger.
Swansea loan is good for both players and club. Ideally sell him on a high next summer after a hopefully good season with them.

See that's just it for me, I don't feel Bentaleb and Carroll are similar and it's because of that well-roundedness required today that I think sets Bentaleb ahead. Like you say, Caroll is so specialized he has to produce, and he hasn't yet. Bentaleb offers a good deal of variety, as well as youth and now experience, and so is of much more prospective value.

Seems like this guy is on a Swansea podcast so he has a bit of a clue most likely.

Still maintain that the kid (not kid anymore) won't make it at Spurs, but if he will it's a club like Swansea that'll help him get there.

I just think we simply have too much quality in midfield for a player like Carroll to break through now. 6 or 7 years ago, he'd be starting for us. But not now.
I think we should have developed his strength more. He'll always be a little lad but they should have gone crazy on his core strength to give him some bite in the midfield, technical ability is one thing but the best midfielders his size are tenacious as well and that needs core strength to be able to throw the little weight they've got around and be a constant nuisance off the ball.

I think we should have developed his strength more. He'll always be a little lad but they should have gone crazy on his core strength to give him some bite in the midfield, technical ability is one thing but the best midfielders his size are tenacious as well and that needs core strength to be able to throw the little weight they've got around and be a constant nuisance off the ball.
Loads of Swansea fans raving about his performance this evening, many giving him MOTM.

It is a natural proces. The better the first XI, the less room for youth players, as treshold will be higher.

What you can discuss is the balance, having quite poor youth players shoehorned into other postions with less cover when players like Tom can't get a game, though...

I think Tommy Carroll deserves a full game. My choice would be Swansea because they are a finesse midfield that also wants to play a possession game so fears of Carroll getting physically dominated wouldn't be a problem. I still like Holtby a lot too.
Good shout JDK JDK mate!

I think this is the acid test for Carroll now he's at a Premier League club. I've quite enjoyed Swansea's football over the last few years under the several different managers as thought they've always tried to play a passing and attacking game so maybe this will suit him if he gets a sustained run in the side. Watch him and Siggy tear it up! :gylfi:

He won't make it at Spurs, I think deep down we all know that.

Still think he needs to 'bulk' a bit. He's weak as shit in a challenge, some of the smallest midfielders around (Wilshere, Modric,) have incredible strong legs that mean they don't get knocked off the ball when you think they would, Carroll doesn't have this.

And he is nowhere near as good as them but thats another thing altogether.

Back
Top Bottom