Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

RM75mdP.jpg

Honestly can't think of any central defender in Europe playing better than Toby this season. That video shows just how amazing he has been.

Any of you guys reading fourfourtwo.com? Ever since a norwegian newspaper started buying poorly translated material from there I keep finding myself baffled at how fucking terrible their pieces are. They write pieces where they have a point to make, and then they just try to force the real world into the picture they are trying to paint, regardless of whether it fits or not.

The last piece I read was named "Behold, the return of the no-nonsense centre-back - but are they here to stay?".

According to the piece, "All around the top tier, the men of the past are thriving gloriously in the here and now".

With Leicester's success you might say they have a point. But they don't stop at using Huth and Morgan as examples. They list Alderweireld as "just below them", as one of a similar mould. And go on to list Reid and van Dijk. They go on to list Cathcart, McAuley and Craig Dawson.

First of all: As if it is something new that small teams have big defenders who might not be the best technically?

Secondly, and more importantly: Fucking ALDERWEIRELD listed as an example of a big, simple, no-nonsence, old fashioned defender. As a defender of a different mould than "Rio Ferdinand, Daniel Agger, Thomas Vermaelen, Ledley King and David Luiz [...], all elegant athletes whose instincts were to sustain possession as stridently as they smothered it".

I don't think there is, or ever has been, a defender who is much better in possession than our hero.

Go to squawka, make a comparison matrix with Alder, Huth, Morgan, McAuley and Dawson, and look at the passing and possession score. Then never read fourfourtwo again, unless you need a good laugh or a reason to be pissed off.

My god what a shit source of football-related information.

Back
Top Bottom