Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Toby Alderweireld – As said in the list of top 10 actual undroppables, Alderweireld has been the signing of the season, restriction or no restriction. The Belgian has formed the most formidable centre-half pairing in the Premier League alongside Belgium compatriot Jan Vertonghen, with whom he played alongside at Dutch side Ajax previously. The duo are the only two Spurs players to play every minute of every league game so far this season and as much is evident in the table; Mauricio Pochettino’s side have conceded the joint least goals this season (eight). This was a side who conceded 53 in all of their last campaign. I tipped the 26-year-old as the signing of the season in Football365’s season predictions in the summer (don’t check my other predictions) and he has continued his excellent form from Southampton last season after joining from Atletico Madrid for £11.4million. It’s remarkable what you can do when you aren’t Federico Fazio.

The five best bargain signings of the season - Football365

It's actually incredible when you look at their history, arguably our most sensible signing of all time:

Jan Vertonghen
Germinal Beerschot - 2000-2003
Ajax 2003-2012

Toby Alderweireld
Germinal Beerschot - 1999-2004
Ajax 2004-2013

They have known each other and basically played together for 12 years, since Toby was 10 years old, they are probably as close as brothers

Vertonghen-Alderweireld-2.jpg
And annoyingly, we could have made this signing two years ago and for some strange reason didn't.

LMAO, you must be new here, do you remember how long it took to get Vertonghen here after he openly stated he wants to join Spurs!!
Yes, I do. But we could have had them as a package deal at the same time, and solved two years of watching Jan play next to a combination of Dawson, Kaboul and Fazio.

Absolutely magnificent again today. I have no idea how we bought him so cheaply, it makes no sense. He's just so calm and composed and partners perfectly with Verts.

WHERE IS MY TOBY SMILEY?!?!?!
:vertna:

Absolutely magnificent again today. I have no idea how we bought him so cheaply, it makes no sense. He's just so calm and composed and partners perfectly with Verts.

WHERE IS MY TOBY SMILEY?!?!?!
:vertna:

Thing is, because he is a defender I don't think he has got the praise he deserves, even though everyone agrees he has been excellent. He has transformed Vertonghen, just gets the best out of him, and Toby always looks switched on and organizing the back four. After Kane, he is the most irreplaceable in our team. Outstanding player. Signing of the season for me.

I must admit I was surprised how desperate people were to sign him and would have been happy to take him or leave him during the summer window but my god I was wrong this bloke is the bollocks and we are ten times better defensively since he joined he also seems to have elevated Vertonghens game massively its the most consistent defensive pairing i`ve ever seen at Spurs.

I agree with both posts above, a great signing and deadly at set pieces so he brings an attacking element to this team on set pieces and his long range passing is great.

I couldn't watch the game today because I had a match of my own to play in, but as soon as I saw "Goal Aldeweireld" on my phone, I knew exactly how the goal was scored.

He's been making those runs for every corner this season and they're so so deadly. No idea why not a single team has picked up on it and done something about it.

Another solid showing from Toby vs the chavs today. Even the programme notes suggest that he needs a song. Apparently the club have been having a twitter campaign on this:
(to John Lennon's Imagine)
Imagine Alderweireld, scoring at White Hart Lane...

Ok thats pretty meh, so who can come up with a good song for Toby?

One mistake from him today which could have cost us but other then that, brilliant. Espeically considering the other three in the back four decided to lose their marbles.

Another solid showing from Toby vs the chavs today. Even the programme notes suggest that he needs a song. Apparently the club have been having a twitter campaign on this:
(to John Lennon's Imagine)
Imagine Alderweireld, scoring at White Hart Lane...

Ok thats pretty meh, so who can come up with a good song for Toby?
Seen a few tbf:

Back
Top Bottom