Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I was a bit sceptical about this signing with the other CB's we have already.

First game, but he looks like a great addition. Much more composed and steady than Fazio. Be a shame if Dier doesn't get enough game time as he is a talented defender but Alderweired just slotted straight in.

I think between Aldi, Jan, Wimmer & Dier we have CB sorted... Fazio will put in an appearance now and again I'm sure (he has 'adding experience to our youthful squads for League Cup & Europa League early round games' written all over him!)

Even Alderweireld thinks we need a DM...

After Tottenham let a two goal lead slip at the weekend - new signing Toby Alderweireld praised his former Southampton teammates.

Speaking to London24, Alderweireld explained that his former teammates excelled at shielding the defence, putting himself and the rest of the back four under less pressure.

Alderweireld conceded a penalty in the 2-2 home draw with Stoke City, and offered an apology for his mistake too.

He said: "I think you have to play better because if you don’t play football any more they can keep putting pressure on you, put more guys in the box and then it’s very difficult to defend every ball.

"At Southampton, Victor Wanyama and [Morgan] Schneiderlin put good pressure on so the opposition didn’t have time to put the ball in the box. It makes it easier for defenders.

"I think everybody worked very hard for each other and tried to do their best, and of course maybe if I didn’t concede the foul for the penalty it would have been different."

He was not bemoaning the effort of his Spurs teammates, but the execution and quality clearly was not of the standard he got used to last season.

Spurs started Ryan Mason and Eric Dier in the midfield, although the former was substituted for Nabil Bentaleb in the 68th minute with the score a 2-0. Exciting teenager Dele Alli was an unused substitute.

Even had he re-signed at Southampton however, Alderweireld would not have had the same luxury as he did last season, with Morgan Schneiderlin sold to Manchester United.

Perhaps he would like it if Spurs would submit an offer for Victor Wanyama to help him out.

Him and Jan are pretty solid. He's a real threat at set pieces as well, definitely signing of the transfer window so far.
Shows how well he's going that no one has commented about him since August.

It's actually incredible when you look at their history, arguably our most sensible signing of all time:

Jan Vertonghen
Germinal Beerschot - 2000-2003
Ajax 2003-2012

Toby Alderweireld
Germinal Beerschot - 1999-2004
Ajax 2004-2013

They have known each other and basically played together for 12 years, since Toby was 10 years old, they are probably as close as brothers

Vertonghen-Alderweireld-2.jpg

Been impressed with him so far, esp because he seems to be the one defender in the world that got JV playing at a very high level again, they defend and react as a perfect unit. Having a settled CB pairing who know how to complete each others shortcomings is a vital aspect of the modern game. Never thought he would be this good for us, decent range of passing and a good shot/header makes for a couple of goals a season extra too

He's been very good, and one thing I really love about having him next to Jan, is the fact that team can't close one down and have a Fazio be the one to carry out the ball. Jan is better on the ball but Toby carries is forward and distributes it with much more confidence than a Fazio, Dawson or even Dier last season.

As for their defending as a unit, it's been superb so far.

He's been excellent. His understanding and reading of the game is intuitive, him and Verts understand each other so well, they know what each other needs. They know when to split and Dier sprints back to receive the ball from Hugo. As has been said, their defending so far has been superb.

It's actually incredible when you look at their history, arguably our most sensible signing of all time:

Jan Vertonghen
Ajax 2003-2012

Toby Alderweireld
Ajax 2004-2013

They have known each other and basically played together for 12 years, since Toby was 10 years old, they are probably as close as brothers

I didn't realize they played together before Ajax.

I have to say that I'm quite surprised that Belgium hasn't switched them both to CB yet.

Jan Vertonghen
Ajax 2003-2012

Toby Alderweireld
Ajax 2004-2013

Tell that to the Southampton fans. They still haven't figured out why Toby wanted to play for Spurs.

I believe Dembele was in that Beerschot squad too. Must be cool for all three of them.
Yes they have all been playing together since they were 10 (give or take), there were some other great players in that set up, one you'll know for sure is Naingollan from AS Roma.

And i forgot to mention Vermaelen, him leaving for them cunts liberated the CB spot for Vertonghen

Agree with most of this thread as the central defence seems assured with Wimmer providing good cover.

Our defensive record is excellent especially when you consider the ability of our full backs (all four of them)!

Back
Top Bottom