The West Stand

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The last year or so I've started taking my dad to matches. He hadn't been since the 90s when he used to take me; he picked up a membership at the start of last season and we've probably been to 10 matches together.

The problem is, he can't really deal with standing throughout a match and isn't a singer (rather the opposite of me in those regards). As a result, blocks 33/34/35 are rather out of the picture. I've tried South Upper a couple of times but usually we end up in the West. He much prefers it over there, and I'd rather he was comfortable (both with the seats and the local company). Sitting near the Chelski fans last season wasn't his favourite experience (due to their comments and our responses), even if the game itself was decent.

Anyway, the point is I've had a chance, an opportunity (lets be positive about this!) to see what it's like "over there" in the West, to experience it first hand across a number of games. You know what? The atmosphere didn't seem much different from there to the South Upper. Or the East Upper. Or the North. Little occasions of chants but mostly talking, to each other and to the players. Some people moaning throughout, some positive. Same as anywhere else, bar the PL/Shelf. And what killed me was that there were people there who wanted to sing, you could feel it, just as I did. But they didn't seem like they could, like they were embarrassed to do so as they'd be the only ones, and everyone would look at them.

And the real kick in the nuts? I didn't sing either.

It's odd, and if you cast your mind back to Woolwich games, to the Inter game... everyone sings, including the West. They want to, they just fall into social norms like everyone else does. If lots of people stand up and sing they will too, but most of the time lots of people sit down and watch the game, passing comment rather than actively supporting.

I don't have the answer to the problem but it's not as clean cut as a middle class prawn sandwich West vs a working class pie & pint South. It's largely the same people but different expectations; different etiquette. Like what you'd say down the pub vs what you'd say at your nan's house. Perhaps the new stadium will herald a new era, an era where we make our own boundaries and the whole stadium can fall into one group...

...it'll be the nan's house group though, obviously. Just sayin'.

I have sat in the West 3 or 4 times over the last 8-9 seasons & as you say, it isn't as different as people make out. Atmosphere in the PL upper (around Blocks 43-45) is virtually non-existent these days.

There's this myth that all 4 blocks sing at any ground, there are special games where it happens but it's rarely the case. People who sit in the West Stand and try and bully people into singing are barking up the wrong tree.

I think it is the "top 4 is everything" brigade. Despite the low attendances this year the atmosphere is fairly good in the cups.

Last time I sat in the Upper West was when we beat Wigan 9-1, I swear I was the only fucker left in the stand as our 5th bulged the back of the net, can be a strange lot.

Last edited:
My formative years as a spurs fan were spent mostly in the west upper. This was in the seasons between 94 and probably 98. I have no recollection of the place really rocking. I remember the guy next to me being a miserable bastard. A bloke who sat in the front row who we called 'mr angry' because he used to constantly do his nut.

There was a guy sat behind us called 'movement' because that's all he used to say: "come on spurs. Movement!"
Finally I remember one bloke sat a few rows up who used to randomly make jungle noises. Like full on monkey howls. I don't think he was being racist, he just seemed to amuse himself by making random loud noises. Although part of his repertoire was shouting "Led-Leee" in a sort of high pitched Jamaican accent.
When I finally got the money to buy my own ticket I went straight to he south lower for atmosphere. First couple for seasons it was generally great. These days it's not much different to the west stand apart from the fact you're stood up for most of the game.

The OP is spot on though. Sometimes when you're at the ground you can 'feel' the urge that those around you have to make some noise but some just don't have the confidence to try to get things going. You don't want to be that bloke singing on your own. Can be quite clicky too. Like it seems only a few blokes have the blessing to start chants and if anyone else tries they are mostly ignored.

To further underline your point. For the inter home game we missed the deadline to get tickets in our usual PL lower seats. We still wanted to go though so managed to get hold of two tickets in the west upper north corner. I was dreading a wasted night of crappy atmosphere, but it was really rocking up there from start to finish. It can happen, but sadly for the run of the mill matches it's pretty unlikely

My formative years as a spurs fan were spent mostly in the west upper. This was in the seasons between 94 and probably 98. I have no recollection of the place really rocking. I remember the guy next to me being a miserable bastard. A bloke who sat in the front row who we called 'mr angry' because he used to constantly do his nut.

Was that right up by the Paxton End?

There was a ginger bloke there in his late 40's / early 50's that went bright red and nearly burst every game he was so angry, Graham Poll in particular used to wind him up - I would imagine he died from a heart attack or stress some time ago.

Was that right up by the Paxton End?

There was a ginger bloke there in his late 40's / early 50's that went bright red and nearly burst every game he was so angry, Graham Poll in particular used to wind him up - I would imagine he died from a heart attack or stress some time ago.
No we were closer to the south upper. can't remember the block think it was 2 or 3? Was one to the left of where the directors box is if you're looking at the west stand from the easy side.

I have been in the West stand three times in my life, once in the enclosure when we drew with Man City and Jurgen scored, once in the upper towards the South when we beat Derby and Gazza scored a hat trick. Most of the West Stand missed his last goal, an amazing free kick from over 30 yards distance beating shilton ,as they were making their way out. Well, what with the terrible traffic around and service from WHL!
He scored 2 from amazing free kicks. Apparently before the game he gave shilton a mobile and when shilton asked what it was for, Gazza said ' Put that in the net. When I take a free kick I'll call you and let you know where I'm putting it' or something like that.
The other time was when we were relegated, that was the first time, and the only unofficial time. Would fans be able to sing/demand for the manager to come out and says a few words today..doubt it. If I remember correctly they even set up a make shift MC equipment for Burkinshaw.
Amazing show of unification that day.

No difference between the West Lower and the North Lower in terms of atmosphere these days.
Big difference in the price though.
When I first started going to White Hart Lane the North Lower was the place to be. Crowd surges when Gazza, Lineker, Nayim hit the net. As a kid it was safer to stand at the front of the East lower, below the old shelf.
Only been in the West on obscure occasions. Once because my seat in the Paxton was genuinely double booked. Other times for rare cup games when it's cheap. And a school boys England game once.

No difference between the West Lower and the North Lower in terms of atmosphere these days.
Big difference in the price though.
When I first started going to White Hart Lane the North Lower was the place to be. Crowd surges when Gazza, Lineker, Nayim hit the net. As a kid it was safer to stand at the front of the East lower, below the old shelf.
Only been in the West on obscure occasions. Once because my seat in the Paxton was genuinely double booked. Other times for rare cup games when it's cheap. And a school boys England game once.
Probably going to sound like an old cunt, but when I was a kid most games we used to stand behind the goal we were kicking towards 1st half and walk around the other end 2nd. Preferred the Park lane tbh due to the proximity of the away fans. However, the Paxton used to be loud. Then I progressed to the shelf and loved the quadrant especially when the big games gave the park lane to away fans.
You get 'we're the park lane...' and 'we're the shelf side...' whereas 'we're the Paxton...' seems to have disappeared altogether. However, to my knowledge I have never heard 'we're the west stand...'

Sat in the West Stand lower once when I bought tickets from my dads work mate for PAOK at home. Someone tutted at me for trying to get 'Oh when the Spurs' going..

I was in the west stand when Defoe scored an opening min overhead kick against Man U, was dead level with it perfect view, so right at the side near the away fans, we were surrounded by like mindeds and the block exploded, real abuse for the man u fans for a while before Rooney turned us over, that part of the stand is alright

I was in the west stand when Defoe scored an opening min overhead kick against Man U, was dead level with it perfect view, so right at the side near the away fans, we were surrounded by like mindeds and the block exploded, real abuse for the man u fans for a while before Rooney turned us over, that part of the stand is alright
Are you connected Mensa?

Back
Top Bottom