The next Spurs captain

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I like Kyle but would much prefer to see someone like Hugo step up and command from the back. Good enough for the French national team - good enough for us, imv.

Last edited:
I have never truly understood the fascination with who should be captain. Any team should realistically have leaders across the pitch, players who are leaders by example, others more vocally but an armband shouldn't necessitate that one player be the dominant player/leader.

The question might be rephrased where it concerns this current crop of players; who shouldn't be captain?

Kaboul shouldn't be captain, neither Adebayor. I really like how both Kane and Mason have come in to the side and displayed leadership qualities, and neither requires tossing a coin at kick-off to display that authority in abundance, whereas Kaboul and Adebayor don't suggest the kind of skills required to influence a successful team, let alone one in need of a rudder.

I have never truly understood the fascination with who should be captain. Any team should realistically have leaders across the pitch, players who are leaders by example, others more vocally but an armband shouldn't necessitate that one player be the dominant player/leader.

The question might be rephrased where it concerns this current crop of players; who shouldn't be captain?

Kaboul shouldn't be captain, neither Adebayor. I really like how both Kane and Mason have come in to the side and displayed leadership qualities, and neither requires tossing a coin at kick-off to display that authority in abundance, whereas Kaboul and Adebayor don't suggest the kind of skills required to influence a successful team, let alone one in need of a rudder.
We have devalued the captaincy since Daws left.

I'd be cautious about Walker just because of his previous (if not still current) lifestyle. Bit too much of a party-boy to be potentially mentoring players whilst gaining respect of the older guys on the team.

Jan & Hugo seem to be both good candidates, as they've been chosen as captains before, plus they're the ones we need to suck up to in order to stop them leaving :p

Kane has future captain qualities, IMO. Might seem ridiculous to some, but he's impressed me with his attitude and maturity on both Spurs TV & post-match

Kane has future captain qualities, IMO. Might seem ridiculous to some, but he's impressed me with his attitude and maturity on both Spurs TV & post-match

Absolutely. But for now he should just be allowed to develop his game and become a regular fixture for the first 11.

Off Topic: Chucked him in my fantasy side. 4.9mil. Bargain.

Him, Mason and Bentaleb (last season) showed a lot of grit and passion, not sure it will make any of them captain but thats the raw ingredient.

Walker would be a shit captain. No where near disciplined enough on the pitch. He still doesn't fully understand his role on the pitch as an attacking fullback never mind telling others what to do. He still gets by on raw power and pace a lot rather than experience.

Is this just the laughing gas thing or is it something that has been reported quite a bit?

Not so much reported on, but it seems that whenever there's a night out or party related to spurs, Kyle is in the photos. Not saying he's the only one, or that it's constant, but it's just something that I've associated him with at least in my mind.

Think I heard/read that he's often in Sheffield in the clubs, but can't recall who told me/where I read that, so it's useless to rely on.

Back
Top Bottom