The model versus Paddy's gut

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Gut or model

• Gut

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • Model

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
Juicy Sushi Juicy Sushi loves his stats. Iam bit old school and think a lot of stats are just fancy ways of telling you what you already knew. So we had a bash about his predictive goal method what ever that actually is and I am set him a challenge my gut top 6 versus his PGM. For the end of the season. 3 points for correct place 2 points for a plus or minus error of 1 and 1 point for a plus or minus error of 2

My top 6 are

Man city
Woolwich
Spurs
Man u
Liverpool
Chelsea

Juicy Sushi Juicy Sushi top six are

Man city
Woolwich
Spurs
Man u
Southampton
Liverpool

He has till tomorrow to run his slide rule and lock in although there's not much between us.

Current rankings gut 10 points model 12 points

I read this thread completely differently

I thought I literally had to choose between a model as in supermodel or Paddy's gut? I'll take the model

supermodel_alinacariu.jpg
PA-10327852-310x415.jpg

Yo Juicy Sushi Juicy Sushi

My table

1. Man city
2. Woolwich
3. Spurs
4. Man u
5. Liverpool
6. Chelsea
7. West ham
8. Leicester
9. Southampton
10. Everton
11 stoke
12. Palace
13Swansea
14Watford
15West Bromwich
16Norwich
17 villa
18 Newcastle
19 Bournemouth
20 Sunderland

Last edited:
all's you need to know about stats was shown by the sun's player ratings . (collected from opta etc)

not for me

Juicy Sushi Juicy Sushi loves his stats. Iam bit old school and think a lot of stats are just fancy ways of telling you what you already knew. So we had a bash about his predictive goal method what ever that actually is and I am set him a challenge my gut top 6 versus his PGM. For the end of the season. 3 points for correct place 2 points for a plus or minus error of 1 and 1 point for a plus or minus error of 2

My top 6 are

Man city
Woolwich
Spurs
Man u
Liverpool
Chelsea

Juicy Sushi Juicy Sushi top six are

Man city
Woolwich
Spurs
Man u
Southampton
Liverpool

He has till tomorrow to run his slide rule and lock in although there's not much between us.

Current rankings gut 10 points model 12 points
As I said, I don't have a model of my own. I don't have the time to do something like that properly. I do know people who do, and I do post what they have to say about their models or things they notice in the data.

In the Pochettino thread I posted, after a similar conversation with the redoubtable Spursinho Spursinho four different possible final results, based on the data after 11 games:
- the current points per game projected over 38 games (PPG)
- the current goal difference (GD)
- the current ratio of shots on target (the difference between shots on target taken vs allowed) (source: Objective Football: 2015/16 Shot Ratios) (SoTR)
- the current order of expected goal differential using Paul Riley’s model (| Tableau Public) (xG)

----PPG------------------GD---------------SoTR----------xG
1.--City (86)-------------City--------------City-------------City
2.--Woolwich(86)------Woolwich-------Spurs----------Woolwich
3.--Leicester (76)------Spurs------------Soton----------Spurs
4.--Man Utd (73)-------Man Utd--------Liverpool------Soton
5.--Spurs (69)-----------WHam----------Woolwich-----Palace
6.--WHam (69)---------Soton------------Man Utd-------Liverpool
7.--Liverpool (59)------Leicester--------Swansea------Swansea
8.--Soton (59)----------Everton----------Leicester-------Man Utd
9.--Everton (55)--------Palace-----------Palace----------Leicester
10.-Palace (55)---------Liverpool--------WHam----------WHam
11.-Watford (55)--------Watford----------Norwich--------WBA
12.-WBA (48)------------Swansea--------Bournemouth-Stoke
13.-Swansea (45)-------Stoke------------Everton---------Everton
14.-Stoke (45)------------WBA-------------Newcastle-----Aston Villa
15.-Chelsea (38)---------Chelsea---------Watford--------Watford
16.-Norwich (31)---------Norwich----------WBA-----------Norwich
17.-Bournemouth (28)--Newcastle-------Chelsea-------Newcastle
18.-Newcastle (24)------Aston Villa-------Stoke----------Bournemouth
19.-Sunderland (21)-----Sunderland-----Aston Villa----Chelsea
20.-Aston Villa (14)------Bournemouth---Sunderland---Sunderland
*since the original post, Villa sacked Tactics Tim. That will probably lead to better numbers for them, as they will no longer be using the equivalent of the proverbial infinite number of monkeys to run the team.

Since you want me to guesstimate my own table, here goes (I look forward to getting this all gloriously wrong):

1. City
2. Woolwich
3. Spurs
4. Man Utd
-----------------
5. Soton
6. Liverpool
7. Chelsea
-------------------
8. Leicester
9. Everton
10. WHam
11. Palace
12. Stoke
13. Swansea
14. Aston Villa
15. Sunderland
16. WBA
17. Watford
-------------------
18. Norwich
19. Newcastle
20. Bournemouth

all's you need to know about stats was shown by the sun's player ratings . (collected from opta etc)

not for me
That was the Sun's use, not Opta. The Sun can't even handle reporting the news without hacking a phone, so actual thinking is beyond them.

Back
Top Bottom