The Mighty Lilywhites vs BHA Orangemen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Back in the 2004/5/6 days, I sat in the Paxton and we used to sing we're the Paxton, but just at the same time as the Shelf sung. So to us in there, it just sounded like we're the park lane and we're the paxton.

Would be class to get 4 groups going round and round the ground. But the west stand singing? :vert:

I remember when PL used to sing "Paxton Paxton give us a song"....and Paxton would start a song "we love you Tottenham" or something and after a few lines of listening the rest of the ground joined in, and it was finished with Yiddos Yiddos and pointing from end to end....

Ahhhhh, such was life

Back in the 2004/5/6 days, I sat in the Paxton and we used to sing we're the Paxton, but just at the same time as the Shelf sung. So to us in there, it just sounded like we're the park lane and we're the paxton.

Would be class to get 4 groups going round and round the ground. But the west stand singing? :vert:

I was there too during those seasons, I remember it well we joined with paxton, was never near even 30% but enough people, the moaning was there but less too, even singing about Atouba!

Just someone needs to tell Poch that inverted wingers does not work for us, especially at home.
Don't personally agree so much...

Why has this inverted wingers stuff been coming up so much recently? Is it scapegoating? Last night i saw both Townsend going inside and outside. Thought they both had decent games. Then Lamela came on for Lennon and we went more direct, with Townsend and Davies going wide and Naughton and Lamela coming more central, and that was when we scored both goals...
So in summary.. what???

EDIT: Meant to say both Townsend and Lennon.

Last edited:
Don't personally agree so much...

Why has this inverted wingers stuff been coming up so much recently? Is it scapegoating? Last night i saw both Townsend going inside and outside. Thought they both had decent games. Then Lamela came on for Lennon and we went more direct, with Townsend and Davies going wide and Naughton and Lamela coming more central, and that was when we scored both goals...
So in summary.. what???
you can get away with it with inferior opposition?

Don't agree with this at all. Still we've yet to see Lamela and Chadli at their best, but they offer far more offensive firepower than either Lennon or Townsend.

the wingers cutting inside is fine as long as the fullbacks overlap

it's when they don't move in unison that the problems arise and everything gets really congested in the middle

we've suffered lately because Dier isn't a fullback and struggles to get up and down the line all match

then there's the fact that most of the time our crossing is fucking awful regardless of who is whipping it in

I'm looking forward to Yedlin coming in January hopefully as that kid is a complete beast physically and one of the fastest players in the world but then I'm not sure if he can actually cross either or tackle for that matter lol

Don't agree with this at all. Still we've yet to see Lamela and Chadli at their best, but they offer far more offensive firepower than either Lennon or Townsend.
Chadli over-performed for a few games and has now regressed back to his mean.

Slightly above average player capable of the odd good game. Little pace, struggles to beat his man 1-on-1, non spectacular shooting range and skill set. He's not even a natural winger, strictly speaking and has only been pushed out wide to fit in the starting 11 and due to the fact we have no natural left-sided wide players. Lennon deserves a crack as much as Kane/Soldado in front of Ade atm - take the specs off.

At its most basic level, unless it turns to violence - all of this bullshit is just words, people are as offended as they want to be.
I'm pink and live in a predominantly black community, I face casual racism on a regular basis, and ignore it - or laugh at it if its funny. I don't feel a need to be offended by it, so I treat it for what it is, just words.
What I'm not going to do is stamp and shout about it, and get upset.

I think you think I was upset by what people were saying. It didn't offend me or upset me. I just thought it was dumb and as supporters Spurs are better than that. I'd hoped anyway.

I agree the best thing outside of football is to laugh stuff off. You might not think this from my posts but I'm not some PC superhero flying a rainbow cape. As far as I'm concerned everything can be joked about and laughed at and not taken too seriously. I don't get offended on other peoples behalf's either. That said INSIDE a stadium I don't want to hear homophobic chants as they aren't funny, they aren't banter and they make the singers and us as supporters look like absolute mugs.

At its most basic level, unless it turns to violence - all of this bullshit is just words, people are as offended as they want to be.
I'm pink and live in a predominantly black community, I face casual racism on a regular basis, and ignore it - or laugh at it if its funny. I don't feel a need to be offended by it, so I treat it for what it is, just words.
What I'm not going to do is stamp and shout about it, and get upset.

Similarly I'm male and have worked in predominantly female companies (both shop floor and management), I faced casual sexism all the time but you have to just rise above it.

White males haven't exactly been historically discriminated against though have they? Ultimately it's all about context.

I think you think I was upset by what people were saying. It didn't offend me or upset me. I just thought it was dumb and as supporters Spurs are better than that. I'd hoped anyway.

I agree the best thing outside of football is to laugh stuff off. You might not think this from my posts but I'm not some PC superhero flying a rainbow cape. As far as I'm concerned everything can be joked about and laughed at and not taken too seriously. I don't get offended on other peoples behalf's either. That said INSIDE a stadium I don't want to hear homophobic chants as they aren't funny, they aren't banter and they make the singers and us as supporters look like absolute mugs.
I never said they were though.

White males haven't exactly been historically discriminated against though have they? Ultimately it's all about context.

You're confusing looking at large demographics with individuals. Yes, on the whole, men haven't been discriminated against too much throughout history. But does that mean I, as an individual, have no claim against the discrimination I feel? Does my experience not exist purely because my gender and ethnicity have been classically the discriminator? Is it ok for women to be sexist, or non-whites to be racist? Even if their targets are wholly egalitarian? Does their target not feel that discrimination?

You're confusing looking at large demographics with individuals. Yes, on the whole, men haven't been discriminated against too much throughout history. But does that mean I, as an individual, have no claim against the discrimination I feel? Does my experience not exist purely because my gender and ethnicity have been classically the discriminator? Is it ok for women to be sexist, or non-whites to be racist? Even if their targets are wholly egalitarian? Does their target not feel that discrimination?

Absolutely not, it was simply a comment about the ease off laughing it off as 'sticks & stones'. It was a lazy generalization, but there's a reason why GBLT groups exist and hetrophobia doesn't exist as a concept.

Absolutely not, it was simply a comment about the ease off laughing it off as 'sticks & stones'. It was a lazy generalization, but there's a reason why GBLT groups exist and hetrophobia doesn't exist as a concept.

The problem with disregarding offhand female sexism (or other forms of discrimination carried out by the usual "minority"), is that it normalises it.

When I see a group of guys making a sexist joke against women, it's usually just that, a joke. When I see a group of women making a sexist joke against men, they seem to genuinely believe it. It's become so normal and unchallenged for women to repeat negative male stereotypes (lazy, stupid, can only think with his dick, can't multi task, incapable of doing housework, only good for fixing things, dumb beast mentality) that they really believe it. And our media are more than happy to play up to it; how many times do you see an intelligent male in an advert? And how often do you see a stupid bloke with a woman tutting knowingly before coming to the aid of everyone because she so clever? How often do you see violence against men (usually a woman hitting a man in the crotch) in television, that's supposed to be hilarious? Could you imagine the reverse ever being considered funny?

And the worst of all? We, as modern men, have been equally conditioned to believe the same!

Anyway... Newcastle at home then...

Back
Top Bottom