The Hotspurs Podcast

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

jimmyriggle

Blatant
Does anyone else listen to this? I started last season just to get my fix between TFC and rule the Roost but soon grew tired of the poor production value, the whining and the seemingly total lack of any knowledge about football or even spurs players beyond the very basic. It was like the spurs show but without the crap attempts at humour and the advert for paddy power.

Now I'm sure Steve is a lovely lovely guy and he clearly loves tottenham. But today I listened to their latest one out of boredom and I was practically banging my head against the wall. Neither of them knew anything about ceballos or even how to pronounce his name. But what killed me was their insistence that the FA cup is the most important trophy to win. Then the league cup. Then the Europa league. Because it gives you domestic bragging rights. Surely winning a European trophy also does this? It's like listening to your dad try to make sense of modern football when he's really stuck in the 60s and 70s.

If you're going to put yourself forward to make a podcast about any subject surely you should do a bit of prep. Even flav and Ricky manage to do that. (Most of the time) or they get someone like windy who can provide the extra knowledge.

Sorry Steve if you happen to be reading this but I had to air my frustration somewhere!

Last edited:
It's like listening to your dad try to make sense of modern football when he's really stuck in the 60s and 70s.

agree completely. I found it so pessimistic too. I mean that's part of the parcel being a spurs fan, but it went beyond, and just wasn't enjoyable to listen to. Getting a lot more enjoyment out of the e-hotspur and american one (cartilage free captain?) as well as TFC and RTR than this.

I'll give Steve and Colin a bit of back-up here. They've clearly got a lot of love for Spurs and take the time and trouble to put a podcast together.

I quite like the Hotspurs podcast and Steve sometimes gets some interesting guests. The Des Walker interview was pretty good, I thought.

I agree about the occasional pessimism and maybe the research could be better but I think the way the show has developed is representative of recent developments at Tottenham.

Some fans, including me, feel a sense of disconnection from the club. We remember watching teams and players who seemed to represent a collective identity. They felt like part of "us," the supporters.

This sense of identity and connection has undoubtedly slipped and last season was the worst I can remember for feeling disillusioned and that I no longer belong at WHL.

Yes, we've had worse squads and far less capable players and managers than last year (I remember relegation) but last season, we seemed to lose something indefinable. Maybe recent discussions on the Hotspurs podcast reflect this?

It's probably partly perception and maybe my age but I don't think that's all.

I don't think the social media meltdowns help and debates such as the whole Y-word nonsense lead us away from a proper sense of sporting purpose and identity.

I hope we can turn it round again this season. I like the look of Pochettino and perhaps he can help to renew our faith. Then perhaps all Tottenham supporters and the podcasts will be more cheerful.

Being a Tottenham supporter does seem to require a degree of pessimism as part of the job description. My Grandad was a season ticket holder for 60 years and moaned that the double-winning side were a bit crap compared to earlier teams!

COYS.

I agree with jimmyriggle jimmyriggle the THP is just so pessimistic. I listened to a few episodes and a lot of it just seem to focus on the negative. We get Steve is a season ticket holder and he's been going for years. Even he should appreciate the position we are in compared to 15-20 years ago. Also half the show seem to be taken up by player grading and their FF league. I like listening to the likes of TFC, RTR and Spursypod as each one offer a more balanced perspective. Whereas THP and Spurs Show seem to be run by old moaning dad types.

It's a shame as one doesn't like to denigrate a fellow yiddo for trying something good like a podcast but i have to agree with the colonel and jimmy.

I think it's the lack of knowledge combined with droning on about certain agendas that gets me - not to mention contradicting themselves.

That being said, they do seem like genuinely nice blokes which is more than can be said for certain other podcasts.

That being said, they do seem like genuinely nice blokes which is more than can be said for certain other podcasts.

LOL name and shame those podcasters!

To be honest I like the humour and discussion that Román Dylan Román Dylan and tehTrunk tehTrunk have on RTR. The lads on TFC RickyTFC RickyTFC , Flav Flav , Thelonious Thelonious , spooky spooky and WindyCOYS WindyCOYS all come across as passionate and fairly likeable. Special mention to the new boys Spurs Brain and Ben Alfrey who again offer fairly incisive, balanced objective options. I think the younger generation of fan is far less knee jerk and can understand the need for patience.

It's Colin's total inability to pronounce players' names correctly that does my head in!

They're switching the grading system from weekly to monthly, which seems like a good idea. I personally like the range of podcasts: TFC is my number one, as the balance between humour and interesting topics is spot-on. It's the only podcast that manages to make me laugh out loud every week. RTR is second, as I really like that they get fans from other sides on. They're funny too. Hotspur's Half Hour (songs), The Spurs Show (impressions, although I can't stand that mouth-breathing fucktard Mike Leigh), Hotspurs Podcast (more Spurs if required), Tottenham Football Fancast (more Spurs if required) are ok, I guess. The Spursy Podcast is still finding it's feet, and only one of the guys seems to really know his stuff, but it has some potential.

Does anyone else listen to this? I started last season just to get my fix between TFC and rule the Roost but soon grew tired of the poor production value, the whining and the seemingly total lack of any knowledge about football or even spurs players beyond the very basic. It was like the spurs show but without the crap attempts at humour and the advert for paddy power.

Now I'm sure Steve is a lovely lovely guy and he clearly loves tottenham. But today I listened to their latest one out of boredom and I was practically banging my head against the wall. Neither of them knew anything about ceballos or even how to pronounce his name. But what killed me was their insistence that the FA cup is the most important trophy to win. Then the league cup. Then the Europa league. Because it gives you domestic bragging rights. Surely winning a European trophy also does this? It's like listening to your dad try to make sense of modern football when he's really stuck in the 60s and 70s.

If you're going to put yourself forward to make a podcast about any subject surely you should do a bit of prep. Even flav and Ricky manage to do that. (Most of the time) or they get someone like windy who can provide the extra knowledge.

Sorry Steve if you happen to be reading this but I had to air my frustration somewhere!

I'll give Steve and Colin a bit of back-up here. They've clearly got a lot of love for Spurs and take the time and trouble to put a podcast together.

I quite like the Hotspurs podcast and Steve sometimes gets some interesting guests. The Des Walker interview was pretty good, I thought.

I've listened to THP since it emerged from the ashes of The Tottenham Football Fancast with Andy, Paul and Big Kev who is a good mate of mine and have got very pissed with at a few Spurs games. Did anyone else used to listen? Anyway the Football Fancast is back now incidentally but history lesson aside I've generally enjoyed what Steve and Colin have been trying to do.

I think without disrespecting any of the other Podcasts and more in a tongue in cheeky ribbing way, they try and keep the discussion about purely about Football.
Yeah I don't agree at all about Steve's point about winning the Europa League not providing bragging rights, how could having 4 European Trophies to Woolwich's 2 be redundant? If they retorted that they weren't even in the competition then unless the CL group format has changed then they would drop into it if they finished 3rd in their group or if they finished bottom then that's even funnier, but whatever it's a European Trophy and some really strong sides enter in it.

I think the lads try really hard to deliver a show each week and perhaps it can get a bit formulaic when it's just the 2 of them, to their credit they've had some good guests lately so they could probably do with a few more. Maybe Flav Flav could guest again, I heard they were looking to poach RickyTFC RickyTFC on Twitter haha.

Everyone knows Rule the Roost is primarily a HBO Podcast nowadays with occasional mentions of Spurs eh Román Dylan Román Dylan ? :adegrin2:

I listen to most of them and for a while too.
Fighting Cock is just up there, but for me Ohh When the Spurs is just that little bit better - my favourite show. Those two are very good though, and stick out for me. I like listening to The Hotspurs Podcast and the Tottenham Football fancast as well. Rule the Roost is getting better for each month, only Bains should sometimes up his voice a bit.
I also listen to the e-spurs and the Spursy Pod, the Spurs show as well as the Swedisch Ledley King's Knä and Norwegian Colden Cockerel.
Don't listen to Harry Hotspur for my own reasons. Not sure there are more out there?

They are all different, I enjoy them all. Not all episodes are always great, but all are worth listening too.

There was only one really poor one - Balls Deep - that was..sucked - well, balls.

I listen to most of them and for a while too.
Fighting Cock is just up there, but for me Ohh When the Spurs is just that little bit better - my favourite show. Those two are very good though, and stick out for me. I like listening to The Hotspurs Podcast and the Tottenham Football fancast as well. Rule the Roost is getting better for each month, only Bains should sometimes up his voice a bit.
I also listen to the e-spurs and the Spursy Pod, the Spurs show as well as the Swedisch Ledley King's Knä and Norwegian Colden Cockerel.
Don't listen to Harry Hotspur for my own reasons. Not sure there are more out there?

They are all different, I enjoy them all. Not all episodes are always great, but all are worth listening too.

There was only one really poor one - Balls Deep - that was..sucked - well, balls.
eanN17 eanN17 Fucking hell, do you have time for anything else???

I only really listen to TFC, RTR and Oh when the Spurs. I used to listen to the Spurs Show but stopped a while back, decided to give it another chance, and unfortunately ended up listening to the one with the guest on who kept banging on about Sherwood because he was English... #NeverAgain

I only really listen to TFC, RTR and Oh when the Spurs. I used to listen to the Spurs Show but stopped a while back, decided to give it another chance, and unfortunately ended up listening to the one with the guest on who kept banging on about Sherwood because he was English... #NeverAgain

Was that Rob Easton or whatever his name is? Dug out AVB from the start, probably still wants Arry back. To be fair they do have a lot of strange guests who come out with all sorts.

Back
Top Bottom