The highs and lows of 2013

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A good year? A bad year? Average?

• Total voters
Probably a thread for someone with a more creative way with words than me but 2013 has been another more than eventful year. What's your 1 high and 1 low.

For me the high is Bale's last minute winner at the WH. The way the players and manager embraced, the fact we done them over and knowing top 4 at that time was still very hopeful.

The low: Easy....the rapid decline of relationship between Levy and AVB and his eventual sacking which at the beginning of the season, with all the hope, none of us could have predicted.

Also, interested to know how successful you think the year has been?

There have been some exciting times with bale and a great points haul, plus all the fun of landing big names after we sold taff..
Gutting to lose out on cl, to lose our best player again, to lose our manager (again) and I hope I never see a scoreline similar to the Liverpool one at home ever again.
Overall, it's not been a great success but I've enjoyed it and it could've been worse. Average.

Pretty typical year of Tottenham Hotspur if you ask me.

My high: Definitely the West Ham late winner from Bale. The frustration, the buildup, the goal, the celebration, all within the context of the surrounding circumstances... absolute perfection. One of my favorite moments as a sports fan ever. Will never forget it, and as much as I tried I will never be able to resent Bale because of it.

My low: It all comes down to a cycle involving Liverpool. We were fuckin ON FIRE domestically and in Europe, no one wanted to play us. We were even being mentioned in European top ten power rankings. Liverpool was playing in absolute fear of us, especially once we went up 2-1. And then that pass from Walker to Downing just outside of our box... The first of two goals we fuckin handed to them. Spurs were undone and brought back down to earth. Very next week we lost to Fulham at home from a goal from a former great. Go on to lose out on Champs League to a crap Arse team by one point, and the rest is history leading up to the fulmination of Liverpool rogering our rectums inside out at the Lane in the same calendar year.

But the pieces have been put in place for a hopeful 2014. We're back to playing attacking football and a few key players are looking high in confidence, while a few others need to be brought along. We'll see what happens, and hopefully it's a more than average year for Tottenham Hotspur. We could get it off to a great start with a win at Old Trafford, a result I truly believe is highly possible.

Last edited:
West Ham away is also probably my high, although the second half vs Man City at WHL was pretty good too. The low point is this season and the demise of AVB: the way we couldn't click, the negativity and divisions around the club, and then the humiliations culminating in Liverpool at home... I honestly felt physically sick seeing our club fall apart AGAIN. :avbmad:

Yeah the home match v city was fucking brilliant. Hudd actually bossed the 2nd half and Bale truly looked world class. AVB was so happy back then! It's not the same:defoe:

Highs: winning against Manu,City,Woolwich,Inter, Lyon, Quater finals of the Europa league, 72 points.
Lows: Losing to west ham and Liverpool,City

It was an OK albeit quite good year for Spurs. Anyone with some awareness of the pain and misery this club has been through (with moments of ectascy) will have some context for measuring success .

against my better judgement, I have to consider this a bad year. We should have qualified for the CL, our best player has been sold, and our manager has been sacked to be replaced by Tim Sherwood.

Individual games are all well and done but looking at the tangibles, and what we should have right now, I don't think it has finished well at all.

That said, we are still very competitive, with better fortune and players playing to their potential this time next week we could have won at both OT and The Scum - no better way to start 2014.

Back
Top Bottom