Swansea (H) 03-Dec

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not one said he should be banned for "it".

He has been like a Jenga tower this season, and has spent quite a lot of time simulating - that's without even taking that particular penalty incident into account.

There's no place for it in the game and it should be dealt with retrospectively by a panel in the same way that they do for violent conduct or whatever - if they chose, hypothetically, to punish any of our players for persistent simulation, it would be collateral damage for the greater good.

Enough valid points have been raised around it, but there's no point making a straw man about how all the "fans" are calling for him to be banned for winning a penalty.
I never said "all the fans" were calling for him to be banned. There were certainly two (hence the plural).

And the only straw man "argument" here is an unwillingness to say whether that particular moment yesterday was a dive, whether there was contact or whether you aren't certain, whilst suggesting that he's been simulating all season & hinting that it was.
Are you saying it was definitely a dive yesterday?

Last edited:
It was awful and I'm in favour of FA giving him a retrospective ban for it - just like I feel they should do with all divers. It's the only way they'll learn, perhaps a fine too.

Not one said he should be banned for "it".

He has been like a Jenga tower this season, and has spent quite a lot of time simulating - that's without even taking that particular penalty incident into account.

There's no place for it in the game and it should be dealt with retrospectively by a panel in the same way that they do for violent conduct or whatever - if they chose, hypothetically, to punish any of our players for persistent simulation, it would be collateral damage for the greater good.

Enough valid points have been raised around it, but there's no point making a straw man about how all the "fans" are calling for him to be banned for winning a penalty.

:deledoubt:

If someone make slight contact with him in the street, would he throw himself around like that?
Act like a man.
Depends on wether he was running at a sprinters pace. In which case a minor clip could send anyone sprawling.
I agree he made sure the ref noticed it, & I'm no fan of exaggerating, but if you were running down the street at full pelt & someone clipped your ankles, you'd go flying. And the bigger/faster you were travelling, the further you'd sprawl.

...no this was worse!!
Sanchez_selfie.jpg

Ol' Selfie-Sanchez can do no wrong... don't expect the media to 'hound' him any time soon...

Meanwhile, the media campaign to get all decisions overturned that have ever been given in favour of Dele Alli in his career will gather pace now...
That kid at the back was actuall pursing his lips, licking them to moisten and pouting for the selfie in real time. You can see it here.
I would be annoyed if our clubs youth acting as ball boys did this so publicly to either a spam Chelsea's or Woolwich player. Like they enjoyed it. Fucking furious and ashamed

If anyone can demonstrate that there was no contact between Dele & Naughton with some certainty, then fair enough. But I haven't seen one clip of the incident which proves it one way or the other. What I do know is that he made sure the ref noticed it.

On a slightly different note, we all agree it's bad to dive, yet nobody bats an eyelid when someone makes a tactical & cynical foul in the middle of the park to stop a promising attack- whether it's a clip of the heels, a pull of the shirt or a cruncher (as long as it's not a dangerous one). Instead it's heralded as taking a card for the team. It's surely still cheating, as diving is, but somehow accepted & even applauded. I'm as guilty as the next person of treating the 2 situations differently but in the cold light of day, I'm not sure why becuse they are both aspects of the game & both seek to obtain an unfair advantage by underhand means.
You have a point as there was no concrete angle. You couldn't come to a decision based on the replay/s. In one it looked lik slight contact and the he withdrew, to me it looked like he made a meal of it, but really there was no close up slow mo angle to determine anything.

You have a point as there was no concrete angle. You couldn't come to a decision based on the replay/s. In one it looked lik slight contact and the he withdrew, to me it looked like he made a meal of it, but really there was no close up slow mo angle to determine anything.
And there was someone who posted on here (sorry I can't recall who) who was stood right behind the goal & was sure it was a penalty at the time. I've seen nothing in terms of a replay that would lead me to conclude that it was definitely a dive, & cause such controversy amongst Spurs fans. If it was a dive, he got away with it & it was a very sneaky one to avoid any camera angle to prove it.

And the only straw man "argument" here is an unwillingness to say whether that particular moment yesterday was a dive, whether there was contact or whether you aren't certain, whilst suggesting that he's been simulating all season & hinting that it was.
Are you saying it was definitely a dive yesterday?

:llorisunsure: That's not what a "Straw Man" is.

As far as I have already said, he manufactured contact. You can see it with the unnatural step/move he makes with his left foot, a step before he dived (when naughton was still a foot or so away).

I won't argue that it was 'clever', but it's playing with fire. Next thing you know, we could be in an important match, he'll get bundled over, and the ref won't give it due to his previous. Saw it enough with Bale and Ginola.

Depends on wether he was running at a sprinters pace. In which case a minor clip could send anyone sprawling.
I agree he made sure the ref noticed it, & I'm no fan of exaggerating, but if you were running down the street at full pelt & someone clipped your ankles, you'd go flying. And the bigger/faster you were travelling, the further you'd sprawl.
He left his leg there when he could quite easily have regained possession. Many players do this, it is small time.

:llorisunsure: That's not what a "Straw Man" is.

As far as I have already said, he manufactured contact. You can see it with the unnatural step/move he makes with his left foot, a step before he dived (when naughton was still a foot or so away).

I won't argue that it was 'clever', but it's playing with fire. Next thing you know, we could be in an important match, he'll get bundled over, and the ref won't give it due to his previous. Saw it enough with Bale and Ginola.

There isn't one camera angle that proves he manufactured contact. It "looks" like he dangled a leg, but Naughton caught it whether he did it deliberately or was changing direction in full flight having knocked the ball to his left. I simply don't think there is anything that shows it one way or the other conclusively & (because he's a Spurs player), he gets the benefit of the doubt.

I think this has been done to death.

Last edited:
Ah a had a great day

One word on Alli: he will always be provcative, he is just tgat player and even poch wont be able to change that. We need that bit of cuntiness to get the points and thats what Alli is doing. The opponents wilk hate him for that, but with he is 20yo and with the talent he has got, he can allow himself to do that. Alli will be a big part of this team if it goes on to win titles

I've criticised Eriksen of late but it has been fully justified, he has been awful for a few weeks now. You can't say he's been brilliant when it's clear to see that he hasn't..
Yesterday he showed some signs of improvement which I also commented on. I don't boo him in the ground or mention his poor form over and over again. I offer an honest opinion of each game and if he's had a bad game I mention it and then discuss who did have good game.

He was far from the finished article yesterday but had a better game than he's had recently which is a good sign as when he's on his game he is superb.

Eriksen played well, but this was Swansea. Lets see if he gets lost next week as he usually does when the going gets tough.

Back
Top Bottom