Super Spurs versus Carbon City

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The Celtics match highlight shocked me that for a few beginning seconds I was looking for Messi Suarez and Neymar. Instead I found punks like Sterling and Nolito? Maybe we should smash them like 3:1? :allitongue:

Worst case scenario (if we draw) - we'd end up in fourth place, about a point or so off Woolwich and Liverpool (despite playing Everton, Woolwich and City already this season), level on points with Man Utd but better goal difference and same points off top then we were before kick off.

Holy shit, I missed the NLD?!?!

I cant help regenerating the

Im not confidant in JJ . The more I hear and see him as a pundit and ignore him being Spurs, I realise he's not got much to say.
Then I would say you don't listen to him well or often enough. He's definitely one of the better ones and would rate him up there with Keown and Neville

How are my fellow Aus yiddo's doin? None of you from/in SA atm I hope.
Yep I'm from SA, absolutely shit weather past two days and the state wide power outages were annoying but I think in urban areas the weather has been better than the country areas. Obviously a large storm but not that much worse than normal where I live. Although I've been looking at pictures and videos of around the state and on the coast and it looks like bloody Armageddon lol.

Anyway, looking forward to this game as it should be a good test. No shame in losing to them but I think we can get a result, although they will be hungry after the Celtic game. Hopefully Dier and Dembele are fit.

How are my fellow Aus yiddo's doin? None of you from/in SA atm I hope.
I am mate! In Adelaide, however we have our power back, I think north and west of the state are still patchy in terms of having power back! hard to even fathom how a whole state can "blackout", literally everything, no traffic lights caused chaos! was strangely weird! did feel like the end hahaha

Every single word of that resonates with me. It's as if he has come on here and nicked all my bumbling posts and stuck them together in one article.

It's what I think we will do on Sunday & I still believe we will win the league this year.

I would love to be as optimistic as JJ. Unfortunately i have seen this rhetoric from the media all before.

Media build us up (can they be title contenders, look at their great stats, playing wonderful football etc... etc...), then when we inevitably underachieve compared to the level they have set us at we are labled as bottlers / spursy.

I know last season a lot of the above was warranted and of course i like to see us being appreciated in the media, but i wish the majority (this isn't directed at anyone in particular) would judge the team by their own interpretation rather than that of the papers / pundits.

I worry about a change in expectations and fallout from certain fan types if we "underachieve".

Personally i don't think we've played particularly well so far this season, certainly not compared to our best form last season, issues that have defined us for years are still apparent: - not clinical enough in front of goal and brain farts from set pieces.

But our squad does look a lot stronger and we are getting results whilst missing key players that we wouldn't have done relying on players like Carroll and Mason last season.

I just hope were not exposed against City, their CL game against Celtic may have exposed a weakness under pressure but they will know the same of us, and if there is no Dembele to soak it up?

Fuck it.

COYS!!

Crunch Silva in the opening minutes. They way to play them is to go at them hard and fast. No slow start as usual or we will get trounced.
Give them no time on the ball and use the full backs, keep them on the back foot.

I would love to be as optimistic as JJ. Unfortunately i have seen this rhetoric from the media all before.

Media build us up (can they be title contenders, look at their great stats, playing wonderful football etc... etc...), then when we inevitably underachieve compared to the level they have set us at we are labled as bottlers / spursy.

I know last season a lot of the above was warranted and of course i like to see us being appreciated in the media, but i wish the majority (this isn't directed at anyone in particular) would judge the team by their own interpretation rather than that of the papers / pundits.

I worry about a change in expectations and fallout from certain fan types if we "underachieve".

Personally i don't think we've played particularly well so far this season, certainly not compared to our best form last season, issues that have defined us for years are still apparent: - not clinical enough in front of goal and brain farts from set pieces.

But our squad does look a lot stronger and we are getting results whilst missing key players that we wouldn't have done relying on players like Carroll and Mason last season.

I just hope were not exposed against City, their CL game against Celtic may have exposed a weakness under pressure but they will know the same of us, and if there is no Dembele to soak it up?

Fuck it.

COYS!!
Absolutely no-one is building us up in the media though, we are not even being talked about as a football club, there is no discussion about us at all. The two biggest discussion topics following a Spurs game has been how great Liverpool were against us and we are cursed at Wembley. Other than that there has been nothing, it's as if we don't even exist.

JJ's comments are consistant from last season, he acknowledges we haven't clicked yet, just as we didn't last year and uses that as his reasoning for why we are so much better now than this time last year. He also has been very measured post match analysis so far this season and has reflected the game we have all seen, a team that hasn't clicked, isn't free flowing. Yet despite this he sees what I see, a team 2nd in the league, with the best defence (2nd year running), not conceded from open play in the league, creating the most chances and slowly but surely putting in better and better performances with each game. We have not been great, but what is that comparison based off? I'd say that comparison we make is from our highs of last year (I know I am making this comparison, may be because I am expecting/hoping we improve on last year).

Arn't people (dare I say the majority on here) judging Citeh on what the pundits and media are saying? All the media and pundits are sucking Guardiola's cock since he arrived here. Before a ball is kicked wouldn't you expect Citeh to be beating 5 of the bottom 6 clubs? I would, in fact I have expected a genius like Pep to have not conceded a single goal against them, but everyone of them has scored against them! Yet still he is the 2nd coming.

We are not far off from clicking, in fact we are creating the chances, no one creates as many chances as us, it's just we can't hit a cows arse with a banjo right now. Our finishing is woeful. I would have concerns if a) we were conceding goals, b) were not creating chances.

It's going to be a cracking game. I'm not a betting man but if I were I'd go all in on us.

Last edited:
There's an interesting article on The Stats Zone looking at results in the domestic game following a trip to Russia/Ukraine midweek. Hopefully it's not had too much of an effect on on our lads! Man City played more recently of course, but not such an arduous trip.

Absolutely no-one is building us up in the media though, we are not even being talked about as a football club, there is no discussion about us at all. The two biggest discussion topics following a Spurs game has been how great Liverpool were against us and we are cursed at Wembley. Other than that there has been nothing, it's as if we don't even exist.

JJ's comments are consistant from last season, he acknowledges we haven't clicked yet, just as we didn't last year and uses that as his reasoning for why we are so much better now than this time last year. He also has been very measured post match analysis so far this season and has reflected the game we have all seen, a team that hasn't clicked, isn't free flowing. Yet despite this he sees what I see, a team 2nd in the league, with the best defence (2nd year running), not conceded from open play in the league, creating the most chances and slowing but surely putting in better and better performances with each game. We have not been great, but what is that comparison based off? I'd say that comparison we make is from our highs of last year (I know I am making this comparison, may be because I am expecting/hoping we improve on last year).

Arn't people (dare I say the majority on here) judging Citeh on what the pundits and media are saying? All the media and pundits are sucking Guardiola's cock since he arrived here. Before a ball is kicked wouldn't you expect Citeh to be beating 5 of the bottom 6 clubs? I would, in fact I have expected a genius like Pep to have not conceded a single goal against them, but everyone of them has scored against them! Yet still he is the 2nd coming.

We are not far off from clicking, in fact we are creating the chances, no one creates as many chances as us, it's just we can't hit a cows arse with a banjo right now. Our finishing is woeful. I would have concerns if a) we were conceding goals, b) were not creating chances.

It's going to be a cracking game. I'm not a betting man but if I were I'd go all in on us.

All that you say makes perfect sense as usual mate.

I wouldn't expect us to continue to go under the radar if we DO beat city. And yes expectations are based on the middle of last season where we were just magnificent to watch game after game.

Perhaps the performance against Monaco has concerned me that those big game jitters have returned..... and the final day of last season still hurts far too much, how did we manage to lose so badly.... maybe god hates yiddos?

I'm like a jilted lover, heart broken so many times. I can't let my guard down because - you're gonna fuck me over again aren't you Spurs?!

:vdvcry:

Back
Top Bottom