Super Pav no more

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

BernardMatthews

“Wildly offensive and ill informed”
Looks like pav has decided to throw in the towel based on two performances I have seen and the one heard tonight.

Is Kane ready to step up? Anybody seen him play enough to say?

IMO Kane is not ready, but as you say, Pav is flatlining. Which is why it was so disappointing not to get a second new striker in the summer. Having said that I think our transfer dealings over the last two years have been overwhelmingly excellent. Just that I really think we need another top striker in January.

Couldn't stream last night either, relied on radio but even that stopped working for me! So can't comment too much on last night although his penalty was shockingly bad from first hand account. The games he has played this season, he has been woeful. My big worry is that we are so reliant on Adebayor. If something goes wrong with him, we have Defoe - who is not effective as a lone striker, in the slightest, and Pav - who is also rubbish in the lone striker role. So then you have to play 442 with Defoe and Pav, which Arry won't do, because he will want to accommodate VDV. So basically anything wrong with Adebayor could cause our whole season to unravel. This is not a good situation!

The Brazilian lad leandro is one wee have been after for a while, saw some people saying maybe a January deal once there season ends.

Thing is he has been on fire so value has probably shot up now.

Pav will be on his way though, I think he has had enough of being so far down on Harrys list of options. Shame really always thought he might make it.

Yeah, Damiao would be a great signing, we are supposed to have bid big money for Rossi, so I think Levy could still go in for this lad even if Inter raise the fee a bit. We have shed lots of wages, and spent 20 mill in two years, which we made back just off Crouch and Sarge. So perhaps Levy will still go in for Damiao...

Pav is the most 'hot & cold' striker I can remember us having in decades. The club can't move on carrying passengers like him anymore.

I think we'll need more than just 1 additional striker. Maybe 1 in January and 1 in the summer if the young lads aren't breaking through right now?

I don't remember Pav ever being particularly "hot". He bags the odd screamer. He doesn't really get a run in the team though, I guess.

Maybe we just don't play to his strengths, a bit like Bent. I could see him going somewhere and scoring. He's not good enough for us now though.

Problem with Pav, and to a lesser degree Defoe. Is they've never struck up a partnership with any other striker. I can't think of anyone who Pav has necessarily done well alongside. Adebayor may well have saved Defoe now.

Pav is not, and never has been good enough for us. He doesn't have enough attributes to worry defenders if he isn't scoring. he never wins aerial battles, has a poor 1st touch, no pace, can't beat a man and doesn't hound defenders either, he waits for things to happen for him rather than makes things happen for himself and therefore is a passenger a lot if the time. we can't afford to carry any passengers unfortunately. I hope we shift him in Jan and manage to bring someone in, although I am worried Er have too many of our chicken eggs in Bad Ade's basket. if he breaks a leg were in trouble.....

the whole Super Pav thing was more to do with him being a bit of a cult-hero more than overrating his abilities I felt. It's a bit like Freund, he wasn't amazing but there was something about him that drew the fans to him.

I like Pav, I'm not deluding myself by saying he doesn't lack the above qualities. For most of his tenure here, he's been the one striker who can make something out of nothing (Birmingham game). Now we have Adebayor, and hopefully we'll add another striker in January. We may not need to rely on Pav closing his eyes and swinging a boot from 30 yards out.

I think the Pav love probably stems a bit from our strikers being so shit last year but Pav still not really getting a look in. People thought he was some kind of saviour because he smashed the odd goal in. Like Thelonious said, it's a bit of a cult thing.

Everyone knows he's a bit shit but "lets throw him on because he might smack one in from nowhere".

Pav is only loved because we get to sing 'Super Pav'...

Put simply, he gives the impression that he doesn't give a flying fuck about what happens thorughout the game and knows that as long as we don't buy another striker, he will get minutes on the pitch.

Your right about Adebayor though, it turns into the 'whoever is on form will get the ball ALL THE TIME' situation; we become relient and they stagnate (see VDV & to a point Bale.) That might be a little harsh, but it wouldn't hurt to mix it up a little.

Case said:
I think the Pav love probably stems a bit from our strikers being so shit last year but Pav still not really getting a look in. People thought he was some kind of saviour because he smashed the odd goal in. Like Thelonious said, it's a bit of a cult thing.

Everyone knows he's a bit shit but "lets throw him on because he might smack one in from nowhere".

He had a run for a few weeks if I remember and scored soething like 5 in 8 (correct me if I'm wrong...)

At that moment we declared him a God and... well... that's that really.

I think the only reason we sing the song is because his name fits nicely....If BAE had an easier name we would be singing about him by now

kangarisntpro said:
Case said:

He had a run for a few weeks if I remember and scored soething like 5 in 8 (correct me if I'm wrong...)

At that moment we declared him a God and... well... that's that really.

From memory, I think you're right. He's done it a few times. Gets a run of games (usually through necessity) has a decent goal return... then drops off again.

The thing is level of effort never really increases, so the goals just cover up his unwillingness to work selflessly for the team. At the very least a striker can work his arse off for the team if he’s not scoring. That’s not in Pav’s locker.

It won’t be long before his agent starts piping up again...

Hopefully Anzhi Boomshakalaka (sorry can't spell that team name) will bid £30m for him and we'll buy Damiao with the proceeds. :D

all jokes aside I fear our chance of getting Damiao has gone, the summer window was our last chance but you never know. Our relationship with Internacional and already having Sandro here could swing things our way.

Back
Top Bottom