Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I agree, but I'd add...

3rd point - I don't think we realised we'd actually manage to sell some of our 'squad' players quite so easily (so far)
I am surprised we are getting 12m for mason & 13m for chadli so fast.
That's 25m in the bank pretty quickly.

I think I believe the rumour that poch would have kept mason as a squad player but he wanted first team football.

You can't expect to get rid of Mason, Chadli & maybe Son and replace with academy kids.

I had hoped Levy learnt his lesson in 2010 but wait to hopefully be surprised come the close of the window. But failure to add pace and players to immediately affect the lineup for the better will be embarrassing. Lack of depth/injuries will see us struggle to compete.

Completely right.

We need 3 players including N'Koudou so unless we are to fail to dare we better have players of quality lined up.

Once again our yearly spend will be minimal.

Another thing that really needs to change is the date of the closing of the window, should be shut before the season starts.

If we were to swap Mason, Bentaleb, Chadli and Njie for Edwards, Onomah and N'Koudou we would be considerably weaker in my opinion.

Hopefully Levy / Poch have something in line.

Issue is not that other than Bentaleb none where first teamers, main thing is we need to get more first team players to compete with Eriksen, Alli etc. Winks in pre season was our best player IMO, we have great young talent but we need perhaps two ready made attackers. Here's hoping.

You can't expect to get rid of Mason, Chadli & maybe Son and replace with academy kids.

I had hoped Levy learnt his lesson in 2010 but wait to hopefully be surprised come the close of the window. But failure to add pace and players to immediately affect the lineup for the better will be embarrassing. Lack of depth/injuries will see us struggle to compete.
It will be very unfair on poch to expect him to get us in the top 4 with what he has at his disposal.

They turned down about 20m from 2 clubs so I can't see him coming to us.
Not sure why WBA don't cash in on him.
They are about to. No ITK bollocks (cos I know fuck all actually other than a chat last month with the U21 kit man) but I have heard from a number of sources this afternoon (in the pub) that Berahino has played his last game for WBA. I think he has. I watched that cackfest this afternoon. In an already dreadful game, he was treated like shit by his manager & then by his fans. They will take any amount of money for him. The alternative is to watch him fuck about for another season kicking the chalk on the touch line every time he is brought on as a sub. Frankly, I'm half beginning to understand his shit attitude.

If Poch still fancies him, then let's do it. I'm just unhappy that Chadli is likely the makeweight in any deal. He deserves more than Pulis.

There's about 22/23 players in the squad, even if Mason, Chadli and Son leave, and no one else comes in.

Not commenting on how good that squad is, just correcting the 18 man thing...

1 Lloris
2 Vorm
3 McGee
3 Walker
4 Rose
5 Alderweireld
6 Vertonghen
7 Trippier
8 Davies
9 Wimmer
10 Carter-Vickers
11 Eriksen
12 Wanyama
13 Lamela
14 Dier
15 Alli
16 Dembéle
17 Carroll
18 Onomah
19 Winks
20 N'Jie
21 Kane
22 Janssen

As above, we currently have Chadli, Mason and Son which makes 25, and possibly Nkoudou and Lopes coming in.

Plenty of room for adding players to our squad, but there's more than 18 at worst case scenario.
Throwback to our last squad going into the 2010 Champions League,

1) Gomes
2) Cudicini
3) Pletikosa
4) Corluka
5) Hutton
6) Walker
7) King
8) Woodgate
9) Dawson
10) Gallas
11) Kaboul
12) Bassong
13) BAE
14) Rose
15) Sandro
16) Palacios
17) Huddlestone
18) Jenas
19) Modric
20) Bentley
21) Bale
22) Lennon
23) Piennar
24) Dos Santos
25) Naughton
26) Van Der Vaart
27) Defoe
28) Keane
29) Pavlyuchenko
30) Crouch
31) Kranjcar

32) Townsend
33) Caulker
34) Livermore

No way our current squad can perform well across 4 competitons however you wanna spin it
Lets hope a few rabbits are pulled out of the hat in the next few days
Or we will fall short yet again

Throwback to our last squad going into the 2010 Champions League,

1) Gomes
2) Cudicini
3) Pletikosa
4) Corluka
5) Hutton
6) Walker
7) King
8) Woodgate
9) Dawson
10) Gallas
11) Kaboul
12) Bassong
13) BAE
14) Rose
15) Sandro
16) Palacios
17) Huddlestone
18) Jenas
19) Modric
20) Bentley
21) Bale
22) Lennon
23) Piennar
24) Dos Santos
25) Naughton
26) Van Der Vaart
27) Defoe
28) Keane
29) Pavlyuchenko
30) Crouch
31) Kranjcar

32) Townsend
33) Caulker
34) Livermore

Before the straw man is built, I'm not condoning the current squad, I was pointing out that we have more than 18 players in it!

As for that list, let's not get silly - 10 of those players don't count! Many of them were Academy players who were out on loan practically all season, and are just household names now. Some of the others I've crossed out were already exiled and made perhaps 1 or 2 appearances before being shipped out on loan, and Pienaar didn't join until January.

1) Gomes
2) Cudicini
3) Pletikosa
4) Corluka
5) Hutton

6) Walker (Went on loan to QPR)
7) King
8) Woodgate
9) Dawson
10) Gallas
11) Kaboul
12) Bassong
13) BAE

14) Rose (Went on loan to Bristol City)
15) Sandro
16) Palacios
17) Huddlestone
18) Jenas
19) Modric

20) Bentley (Went on loan to Birmingham)
21) Bale
22) Lennon

23) Piennar (Didn't sign until Winter window)
24) Dos Santos (Went on loan to Racing Santander)
25) Naughton (went on loan to Leicester)

26) Van Der Vaart
27) Defoe

28) Keane (Went on loan to West Ham)
29) Pavlyuchenko
30) Crouch
31) Kranjcar

32) Townsend (Went to Ipswich)
33) Caulker (Went to Bristol City)
34) Livermore (Went on loan to Ipswich)

So that leaves perhaps 24 players, which is roughly what we have at the moment. That's before you look through Redknapp's squad and say that many of them were unlikely to play 90 mins consecutively (King, VDV, Kaboul etc.)

Progression is evolution, if we rely on saying our starting 11 was excellent last season, yes it was, but why didn't we win the league when it was in our grasp? Because our squad wasn't strong enough, this transfer window has not addressed that matter so far. Teams have started to work out how we play, that's why we must evolve the squad. Again the bench looked thin on Saturday, if we draw Bayern Munich, Real Madrid, Barca, Juve in the last 16 of the CL will these players change a game??

Progression is evolution, if we rely on saying our starting 11 was excellent last season, yes it was, but why didn't we win the league when it was in our grasp? Because our squad wasn't strong enough, this transfer window has not addressed that matter so far. Teams have started to work out how we play, that's why we must evolve the squad. Again the bench looked thin on Saturday, if we draw Bayern Munich, Real Madrid, Barca, Juve in the last 16 of the CL will these players change a game??

I think the bench was thin by design. We decided not to include Mason and Chadli, and I assume Wimmer isn't quite back yet.

It sounds like something is cooking, and you just have to have faith in Poch having it all mapped out.

I'd be very surprised if we started September without bringing in more than Nkoudou and Lopez - it doesn't make sense at all why we'd sell so many CM/AM players unless we were bringing at least one decent player in - especially if the Son stuff is true (and if it isn't, why didn't he play on Saturday?)

James would actually be more realistic than Isco, that's how unlikely Isco is.

I think the bench was thin by design. We decided not to include Mason and Chadli, and I assume Wimmer isn't quite back yet.

It sounds like something is cooking, and you just have to have faith in Poch having it all mapped out.

I'd be very surprised if we started September without bringing in more than Nkoudou and Lopez - it doesn't make sense at all why we'd sell so many CM/AM players unless we were bringing at least one decent player in - especially if the Son stuff is true (and if it isn't, why didn't he play on Saturday?)

And I was very surprised when we started September without a real backup for Kane, but it happened anyway. Definitely agree that Poch/Levy are planning something, the only question is whether they're going to sign somebody good or if we're going to get the AM/CM equivalent of N'jie.

Back
Top Bottom