Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The 3rd goal in this game (back when he was supposedly in good form!) :dembele:

Manchester United vs Tottenham 3-0 Highlights 2015 Fellaini Carrick Rooney Goals Video

I find it quite incredible how highly people rate Bentaleb, a player who hasn't really ever achieved or done anything in my eyes.

Even when he was "on form" he was never player of the season or even close. He has always struggled to focus and gave the ball away in dangerous situations.

On his return back from injury I remember him show boating like crazy, trying to impress Poch or potential buyers and it backfired massively. He's not played since, and no wonder. It was the appearance of a player who only wanted people to notice him and not do a job for the team. I think Bentaleb has a huge ego, easily seen by how when he's questioned he always answers himself. "Who trains the hardest, who runs the most" Me, me.

He's a player with potential but without the mind set to see it through. He won't develop or go on to be world class - he simply hasn't got it in him and I don't think he has a team ethic. Anyone who says he does would do well to remember when he fucked Spurs off to play for Algeria, despite being told not to, only to come back injured.

We had our best season in ages last year and he didn't feature. Why are people worried about losing someone who was a ghost last year and a break through youth player the year before? Even in his breakthrough season Mason statistically beat him, the same Mason who people are now calling shit. Some context please - Dier, Dembele and Wanyama are all better CM options at the current time, even if some people are going to instantly reply they fill "different roles". We're losing a fringe player, not a star.

Get rid. Buy young replacement. More time for Onomah in CM, where I think he belongs. We will barely notice the loss.

Levy isn't going to throw out all the stops to get us a title winning team.

I think we already have one.

Incredible that people think Levy hasn't changed his tactic.

In previous years we'd sell first, build up a little money pot and then spend it, usually sparingly, and usually at the very end of the transfer window. Often our first target would say no, our second target would have already moved, our third would want more wages and finally we'd sign our 7th target.

This season we're got players early enough to go on pre-season, we've spent before we've sold and it seems like we've tended to get our 1st target without much bother.

I see a huge difference in how we do business now. Look at the Janseen transfer - years ago, like with the Berahinho deal, we'd have walked away as soon as they asked for more and found someone else.

Last edited:
Based on the fact he hasn't had a good game in over a year? £11,000,000.

I reckon we could push for more than that, no?

If Pogba goes to United, I reckon Juventus would pay up to £15-20m for him - they were heavily linked to him when Bentaleb spoke to the media last year about his contract.

Kane and Eriksen (free kicks) mostly carried us the season before tbh

the Bentaleb - Mason midfield was ok but not the reason we finished where we did

some people (mostly on other sites) talk as if Bentaleb is a world class player who carried the team and is irreplaceable

edit to add: i like Bentaleb as a player and i think Poch rates him but not enough to overcome attitude problems

Kane and Eriksen (free kicks) mostly carried us the season before tbh

the Bentaleb - Mason midfield was ok but not the reason we finished where we did

some people (mostly on other sites) talk as if Bentaleb is a world class player who carried the team and is irreplaceable

edit to add: i like Bentaleb as a player and i think Poch rates him but not enough to overcome attitude problems

To be fair to Bentaleb, he was one of our best players in Poch's first season. If I had to name our 3 best players in Poch's first season, it'd be Harry Kane, Nabil Bentaleb and Danny Rose.

They'll be better next year, I think, and our signings so far will hopefully give them a big boost.

The main barrier to us breaking into the top 4 was always mental fragility. How often do we call Totteham bottlers, or almosters?

I think that not only have we improved tactically, physically, technically etc but the most important improvement has been the mentality change. For large parts of last season we looked like the United of old, and other than a blip at the end of the season you couldn't really say "typical Tottenham" with any real conviction.

To be fair to Bentaleb, he was one of our best players in Poch's first season

People act like he was incredible, when in reality he got 1 goal and 3 assists. MASSIVE!

What did Bentaleb do that people value so much?

He can't defend
He can't score
He can't assist
He's not a deep play maker
He's slow on the ball and doesn't rotate it fast enough
He loses it constantly when he does play deep, usually putting us on the back foot

I'm honestly flabbergasted that not only do people rate him, they worship him.

Bentaleb is a typical "Runs about a bit, looks alright" sort of player who actually has no impact on games.

People act like he was incredible, when in reality he got 1 goal and 3 assists. MASSIVE!

He can't defend
He can't score
He can't assist
He loses it constantly when he does play deep, usually putting us on the back foot

Bentaleb is a typical "Runs about a bit, looks alright" sort of player who actually has no impact on games.

Well first of all, I didn't say he is an incredible player - I said he was one of the best players in Poch's first season, which I believe along with many others to be true!

Last season, he was pretty awful and I'd be the first to admit that, but you can't say that he wasn't a good solid player a couple of season ago surely?

He can't defend
He can't score
He can't assist

:sherwoodwtf::sherwoodwtf::sherwoodwtf::sherwoodwtf::sherwoodwtf:

:sherwoodlol:

good solid player a couple of season ago surely?

What do you think he did well exactly? Actually point out his qualities and why you think that. Telling me you think he's a good player doesn't say much of anything.

I think he's terrible with no real set-in-stone skill set.

The main barrier to us breaking into the top 4 was always mental fragility. How often do we call Totteham bottlers, or almosters?

I think that not only have we improved tactically, physically, technically etc but the most important improvement has been the mentality change. For large parts of last season we looked like the United of old, and other than a blip at the end of the season you couldn't really say "typical Tottenham" with any real conviction.
Also, we only really clicked as a team a couple of months into the season.

Further to that (on being like United), Wanyama will allow us to see games out (e.g. defending a one-goal lead) far more effectively than last season.

I always felt that if we made a substitution last year, in a game where we started with our strongest lineup, then it actually had a tendency of weakening us in the final 20 minutes or so.

Our bench will be much better this season.

Also, we only really clicked as a team a couple of months into the season.

Further to that (on being like United), Wanyama will allow us to see games out (e.g. defending a one-goal lead) far more effectively than last season.

I always felt that if we made a substitution last year, in a game where we started with our strongest lineup, then it actually had a tendency of weakening us in the final 20 minutes or so.

Our bench will be much better this season.

Agreed, like the Woolwich game when Lamela came off. Went to pieces.

Wanyama for Lamela would have won us that game quite easily.

Back
Top Bottom