Squad Ratings 2015/16

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As the sample group of games grows to a decent number and you feel player x is being wildly over or underrated then it's probably time to take the blinkers off.....We've got a pretty eclectic group of fans here.

OK stats people, I've used the match ratings data to compile a slightly different view of player and manager performance. Essentially, I've taken the player's average performance in a match and compared that to the team performance for the match in order to understand their 'relative' performance.

So, for example, Dier averaged 6.38 for the Man Utd match against a team average of 6.1 and therefore he scored +0.28. The highest performer in that match was Toby with +1.51 over the team average.

Why would you do that?

Wins and losses affect how we rate players. So our best player in a 3-0 loss might average a lower score than the worst player in a 3-0 win just because we tend to downweight player performances for bad results (it's only human).

By looking at the stats based on 'relative' performance we can see who is regularly outperforming their team-mates regardless of the result.

So, what's the outcome?

Here is the average 'relative' ranking of each player who has played 4 games or more this season:

1 Dier +0.76 (av position 4.1)
2 Lloris +0.69 (4.2)
3 Mason +0.67 (5.0)
4 Alli +0.61 (4.9)
5 Rose +0.46 (6.0)
6 Alderweireld +0.39 (5.5)
7 Eriksen +0.34 (7.1)
8 Dembele +0.30 (6.7)
9 Vertonghen +0.22 (6.6)
10 Son +0.09 (8.6)
11 Pochettino +0.07 (6.8)***
12 Walker -0.10 (8.7)
13 Davies -0.11 (9.1)
14 Kane -0.21 (8.9)
15 Lamela -0.28 (8.6)
16 Clinton -0.49 (11.0)
17 Townsend -0.62 (11.3)
18 Chadli -0.77 (11.6)
19 Carroll -0.78 (12.2)
20 Bentaleb -1.07 (11.8)

So, reading across that list - Eric Dier is our best performing player scoring on average 0.76 (out of 10) more than the team average. Across all matches this season he averaged being the 4th highest ranked player on our team (including manager and subs), which goes to show that you don't need to be #1 every game to be our best player.

Hope that's of interest!

Last edited:
Incidentally, you could form a decent team purely from our top performers which would look like:

[formation=4231, Lloris, Walker, Toby, Verts, Rose, Dier, Mason, Dembele, Alli, Eriksen, Son][/formation]

It's interesting to note that there is no great RM option and our best striker only averages +0.09 ahead of the rest of the team. Mason deserves a place on merit it seems, so in a 'real' team you'd swap out Dembele (+0.30) for Lamela (-0.28) in the right sided slot. Hmmm...

Incidentally, you could form a decent team purely from our top performers which would look like:

[formation=4231, Lloris, Walker, Toby, Verts, Rose, Dier, Mason, Dembele, Alli, Eriksen, Son][/formation]

It's interesting to note that there is no great RM option and our best striker only averages +0.09 ahead of the rest of the team. Mason deserves a place on merit it seems, so in a 'real' team you'd swap out Dembele (+0.30) for Lamela (-0.28) in the right sided slot. Hmmm...
Lovely post and the previous.

But, why does Alli come up as AM if he's played CM all year?

Or is that your interpretation of the team based on the ratings? That'd make more sense.

Lovely post and the previous.

But, why does Alli come up as AM if he's played CM all year?

Or is that your interpretation of the team based on the ratings? That'd make more sense.

Yeah, basically just it was just a formation that was built on relative performance rather than any kind of real positional basis. Alli is, I guess, a 'box-to-box' central midfielder so figured I'd put him in a more advanced position in that formation.

I'll update the stats in a few games time, as I'm sure there will have been a few moves in the relative performance list.

Back
Top Bottom