Spurs to play in Sydney??

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

When do the tickets go on sale?
From the club website,
oz_prices730.jpg

Apparently this Sydney game is our only overseas game as Pochettino wants to base our preseason in England this summer.....amazingly Levy is happy with it too.

Mauricio Pochettino says Tottenham are travelling to Australia at the end of May to avoid a draining pre-season tour abroad and to give him the best possible chance of preparing his squad for the 2015-16 campaign.

Spurs announced today that they will head down under to play a friendly match against Sydney FC on Saturday May 30.

Chairman Daniel Levy said the trip “will provide the club with a perfect opportunity to engage with a growing fanbase across the Asia-Pacific region” – and Pochettino acknowledges the commercial benefit of taking the team overseas.

However, he has agreed with Levy that it would be better for the excursion to happen at the end of this term rather than when the players return from their summer holidays, as he plans a pre-season programme in England.

“It [the trip to Australia in May] was my decision,” said Pochettino. “We will take one week after the Everton game. It’s important because we’re trying to avoid going on tour during pre-season.

“It’s never proper for the team to go to Asia or America at the beginning of the season to spend time doing commercial business. We’d rather do it post-season. We’ll be in England [for pre-season]. The weather is very good - I love it, for work. Spain is for holidays.

“The first period of pre-season is very important for our style and to set the basis of the team. The aim is to combine the business responsibilities of the club with the needs of the team.

“The training base will be here but obviously we’re going away to play some matches. I’ve had bad experiences of tours, when you’re going far away - experiences as a player help as a manager. It can upset your preparations.”

Asked whether Levy is content with the arrangement, Pochettino said: “He came to my office and he was very happy.”

It will be interesting to see whether Tottenham take Kane to Australia, given Pochettino has expressed concerns about the striker’s workload this season and the fact that he is likely to be selected by Gareth Southgate for the European Under-21 Championship this summer.

“We have enough time to talk about Harry, there are 11 games to go,” said Pochettino. “We have a very good relationship with the FA. We met Gareth Southgate at White Hart Lane before the Swansea game. We talked about many things in my office - the relationship is very good.

“We talked in general about ideas, philosophy and how we can help the development of the young players together. One thing is clear - the main objective for everybody involved is to create players who can play at a high level for the national team.

“The most important thing is that Spurs have to play in Sydney. This is very important. We’ll decide who we take as we approach the trip.”

can't wait for this.. have seen Tottenham twice in my lifetime.. Once at Swansea, and once at home against Man City..

Will be flying to Sydney for this and getting tickets Monday morning :)

I've always agreed that overseas preseason tours have always been only for profit and commercial exposure,
I'd rather the team have pre season at the training facility and build for a good season and Spurs come here once every 10 years.

The pre-sale offer was madness. Went to ticketek office had two officers trying to get 30 tix - they said never seen a pre-sale with so much action. seats were disappearing like wow - had to get 30 in two seat strings in separate bays.
we are loving the build up down here. Congratulations to Spurs for coming downunder, but also a big well done to the Ozspur committee who have been tremendous in signing up new members and planning the pre-sale day.

Just got tickets and accomm squared away. Looks like there will be a massive away end. My seats are outside the initially designated Spurs supporters area and tickets don't go on general sale till tmw.

50k tickets sold already - even though there's another 7 weeks til game time. Teams to play for the AIA trophy. Game to be televised live on free to air for a TV audience of 1 million in Australia and more overseas. Great exposure for the club with lots of talk locally about Harry Kane.

The media are getting more excited about it that I anticipated. There was a segment on a popular breakfast news program here this morning about the game, where the news ticker said "Sydney FC versus Tottenham Spurs". Reminded me of Ted Lasso ffs!

There was also an interview with a Sydney player and while he was talking there was a montage of Spurs goals which included Bale's outside of the foot shot one against the Arse in his final season, and oddly Soldado's pen on debut v Crystal Palace. Went full weird when they cut away to a picture of Jose Mourinho celebrating something. Any way, any exposure is good exposure.

CAN'T FUCKING WAIT - COYS!

50k tickets sold already - even though there's another 7 weeks til game time. Teams to play for the AIA trophy. Game to be televised live on free to air for a TV audience of 1 million in Australia and more overseas. Great exposure for the club with lots of talk locally about Harry Kane.

The media are getting more excited about it that I anticipated. There was a segment on a popular breakfast news program here this morning about the game, where the news ticker said "Sydney FC versus Tottenham Spurs". Reminded me of Ted Lasso ffs!

There was also an interview with a Sydney player and while he was talking there was a montage of Spurs goals which included Bale's outside of the foot shot one against the Arse in his final season, and oddly Soldado's pen on debut v Crystal Palace. Went full weird when they cut away to a picture of Jose Mourinho celebrating something. Any way, any exposure is good exposure.

CAN'T FUCKING WAIT - COYS!
Sydney are going to win aren't they? :dawsonmean:

Back
Top Bottom