Spurs bottom of the Premier League Net Spend Table for last 5 seasons

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Probably because £400m stadia are expensive and require some saving for. Remember how long the Goons went big money signingless after opening the Emirates?

I'm a little worried about this. The Emirates opened in 2006 and they were saying last summer when they bought Ozil was the first time they were willing to spend due finally having it paid off. So if we aren't set open for another two years, are we looking at 6-10 years before the checkbook can really open up?

Granted, we are now living in a world where we are making 90m off just the TV deal but I think that the stadium payments are going to be hovering over everything for a decent amount of the future.

By the time the stadium even opens at least half the fanbase will have melted and we won't even be able to fill it so no gate money. TROUBLING TIMES.

This does not bother me as much as Townsend, Lennon, Naughton, Rose and Soldado are still at the club.

Having them available for selection looking amazing in training mugged AVB and tightened the noose around his spurs career.

I didn't want to see a marquee signing. I wanted to see the soft spurs curse lifted from the club.

By the time the stadium even opens at least half the fanbase will have melted and we won't even be able to fill it so no gate money. TROUBLING TIMES.

:sandro:

MS not coming has hit you hard. Utter nonsense.

Long suffering fan base will melt away over the course of half a decade?

hysterical kneejerk bollocks.

Last edited:
One interesting comment. Spurs do not have BIG MONEY Ownership like the top-5. The team Spurs compare close to is Everton. Similar results, similar stadium capacity, etc . . . Everton is 18 on the list. Another team not in top-5, but often finishes top-half is Newcastle. They are 17. If Everton had not done aggressive spending, they would be below Spurs.

Spurs do not have BIG MONEY Ownership like the top-5.
Joe Lewis ($4.2 B) is worth more than John Henry ($1.1 B) or Stan Kroenke ($4.0 B), and only slightly less than the Glazer family ($4.4 B). So that's simply incorrect.

Spurs generate less revenue than the Top 5, but vastly, exponentially more than most of the teams ahead of them in the net spend table.

Wow. Thanks for posting this. I think the most interesting thing about this (aside from the fact that we are the the most "thrifty" squad in the PL) is the number of shit teams that are in the top half of that list. Meanwhile Spurs and Everton are at the bottom. The numbers back up my perception that money buys wins, but only at the very top of the table. After the top handful of spenders, there is basically no correlation between spending and winning. I wouldn't have guessed that.
:gallashmm::avbcringe::dempsey::gio::saha:

Well there you have it, buying for sake of it doesn't guarantee wins, ledley was free, Bentley cost loads, bale we made 70m on, bent was more and was a dud

We are sadly in stadium mode and like Woolwich it's a long process, you have to think about it like an operation you need to get done, if you don't have it done in time you will deteriorate, the new stadium will help us get the revenue and attract more investment and push us on, but it puts us out of action for a while.....

That is why Poch is here a good solid coach who can get the best out of what we had, he has already pumped life into 3 of the magnificent 7 who were mentally gone 4 months ago, 4 months people - give him time, we will keep fighting

Joe Lewis ($4.2 B) is worth more than John Henry ($1.1 B) or Stan Kroenke ($4.0 B), and only slightly less than the Glazer family ($4.4 B). So that's simply incorrect.

Spurs generate less revenue than the Top 5, but vastly, exponentially more than most of the teams ahead of them in the net spend table.
You're right. Lewis has alot of money. But I think he operates the Spurs as a business, and not a hobby.

By BIG MONEY, I'm referring to Clubs with owners who are willing to put their own personal money into the team for player purchases - with no regard for ROI. By doing this, Top-5 teams get more money from CL, sponsors and merchandising. Lewis, thou he has personal wealth, separates personal wealth from Spurs Operations. It might not be fair, but it is the ownership Spurs have.

Lewis, thou he has personal wealth, separates personal wealth from Spurs Operations. It might not be fair, but it is the ownership Spurs have.

That is his right. Supporting said ownership, or not, is the fan's right. An awful lot of people are counted on to spend an awful lot of their disposable income in order to support Spurs financially.

Transfer League Table Last Five Seasons | League Tables

This does't include the reported £6-10million we got for Sandro as well.
Thanks for posting this - very interesting reading.

Although it hasn't always felt that way watching the matches, perhaps these figures show that our managers over the past five years have actually all done pretty well to keep us fairly high up the table.

On a spend/cost per points basis, we're the Champions!

West Ham's spending makes me chuckle.

His apologists we'll be here shortly telling us about the 'new' stadium being built (15 years later hasn't even broken ground bu hey ho) and how it is completely unrealistic and plastic of fans to expect even 1 (ONE) quality signing during the transfer window even though we've made 180m+ from TV deals alone in the last 2 seasons and signed massive deals with AIA and UA.

You can't demand Champions League football from your managers if you are unwilling to provide them the right tools to achieve that

Probably because £400m stadia are expensive and require some saving for. Remember how long the Goons went big money signingless after opening the Emirates?
Are you implying we're busy saving the 400m as a lump sum to pay in cash upfront?

:dawsonlol:

With all due respect, take some time and think about that for a few minutes.

Back
Top Bottom