Sherwood questions Summer signings

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

-Eriksen has been a revelation.
-Lamela's not gotten a fair shot, and arguably Capoue hasn't either.
-Chadli has been unremarkable but in no way was deserving of the vitriolic attacks on him earlier in the season, and has shown glimpses of quality.
-Chiriches put in an amazing performance against United, but his performances this season have been overrated in my opinion and he needs time.
-Soldado... Well, Soldado has been a disappointment, but he would have buried that penalty today.

Paulinho has clearly left an impression on you.

Premier league experience and "first year syndrome" is just bullshit fairy tales.

I seem to remember

Michu
Bony
Demba Ba
Carlos Tavez
Mata
Cazorla
VDV
Vertogen
Lloris
Silva
Tourre
Hazzard
Benteke
Yohan Cabaye
Augero
J. Hernandez

etc...

all being really good their first season without any premier league experience.

Yes - the one which deemed some Luis Suarez a risky transfer at the time we were willing to lay Ajax the fee

fuck me and the rest is history

we turned down the chance to play Bale Modric VDV and Suarez together :vdvcry:

well played levy :bentley: not buying Suarez was prolly a bigger mistake than buyn that twat

Last edited:
Premier league experience and "first year syndrome" is just bullshit fairy tales.

I seem to remember

Michu
Bony
Demba Ba
Carlos Tavez
Mata
Cazorla
VDV
Vertogen
Lloris
Silva
Tourre
Hazzard
Benteke
Yohan Cabaye
Augero
J. Hernandez

etc...

all being really good their first season without any premier league experience.

you could make a list just as long with players who did take a season to get going

Henry and Suarez two off the top

there's no real way of tellin but you can tell a quality player when you see one like Soldado for example

you could make a list just as long with players who did take a season to get going

Henry and Suarez two off the top

there's no real way of tellin but you can tell a quality player when you see one like Soldado for example

Agreed there's no way of telling and Soldado has looked class at times. Only thing that makes Soldado slightly more concerning than Henry, Suarez, and even Lamela is that those guys were in their early 20s whereas Soldado will be 29 at the start of next season. Hopefully he will find his form, confidence, health, and comfort zone next season.

Guess what we are all saying something different, with the way it was handled in the first place and the management changes we can really only have this discussion at the end of next season, when hopefully we get more out of them and see their obvious potential - all of them have shown us something, no excuses for better performances next year, only Eriksen has shown what a good improving new signing does, hopefully it catches on

Agreed there's no way of telling and Soldado has looked class at times. Only thing that makes Soldado slightly more concerning than Henry, Suarez, and even Lamela is that those guys were in their early 20s whereas Soldado will be 29 at the start of next season. Hopefully he will find his form, confidence, health, and comfort zone next season.

I wouldn't worry about Soldado, he's a natural goal scorer but Levy on the other hand he's abit shit at appointing managers that's what I'd be worrying about.

Guess what we are all saying something different, with the way it was handled in the first place and the management changes we can really only have this discussion at the end of next season, when hopefully we get more out of them and see their obvious potential - all of them have shown us something, no excuses for better performances next year, only Eriksen has shown what a good improving new signing does, hopefully it catches on

True enough. I would be surprised to see any of them leave.

I wouldn't worry about Soldado, he's a natural goal scorer but Levy on the other hand he's abit shit at appointing managers that's what I'd be worrying about.

Hahah can't I be concerned about both? While Soldado and every single one of our players hasn't been helped by our managers and the upheaval; Soldado has missed legitimate open goals that has nothing to do with anything managerial. Needs to regain the confidence that has made him a natural goalscorer in the past.

True enough. I would be surprised to see any of them leave.
I agree. I would also be disappointed to see any of them leave without giving the new manager a full season to work with them. I feel it in my waters that the squad isn't too far away from being in contention...but they need a good kick in the arse by someone they know they've been kicked by.

Soldado has missed legitimate open goals that has nothing to do with anything managerial. Needs to regain the confidence

how can you talk about confidence in your job not having anything to do with your manager or working enviroment and keep a straight face lol

it's like putting a kid in the care of serial killers and expecting him to grow up rite lol

THFC are the serial killers, we kill careers :ap:

I agree. I would also be disappointed to see any of them leave without giving the new manager a full season to work with them. I feel it in my waters that the squad isn't too far away from being in contention...but they need a good kick in the arse by someone they know they've been kicked by.

They simply can't leave if baldini is staying on and he is. Let's just hope lvg is happy with that.

how can you talk about confidence in your job not having anything to do with your manager or working enviroment and keep a straight face lol

it's like putting a kid in the care of serial killers and expecting him to grow up rite lol

THFC are the serial killers, we kill careers :ap:

Haha I'm not saying it's the greatest environment or anything but Adebayor, Eriksen, and Kane seem to be doing alright.

A not even particularly highly touted 20 year old has matched his goal in open play total in 2 games and Kane really should have three if Ade had let it roll. Kane has started 2 games, Soldado has started 22. He cost 26 million, he's shown flashes but he needs to be lots better and quickly. I really hope he is great, certainly one of the most likable guys in the squad with his personality and work ethic.

SPURS QUESTION MEANING OF LIFE: EXISTENTIAL CRISIS WRACKS DRESSING ROOM

Haha I'm not saying it's the greatest environment or anything but Adebayor, Eriksen, and Kane seem to be doing alright.

A not even particularly highly touted 20 year old has matched his goal in open play total in 2 games and Kane really should have three if Ade had let it roll. Kane has started 2 games, Soldado has started 22. He cost 26 million, he's shown flashes but he needs to be lots better and quickly. I really hope he is great, certainly one of the most likable guys in the squad with his personality and work ethic.

great lets keep tim on then and start Kane because he's scored in 2 meaningless games against dross fuck off and if Ade had let it fuckn roll the defender would've got there, unnecessary risks are stupidity personified

it's natural Eriksen, Soldado and Chadli all showing signs of improvement as they've almost had a full season here but comparing Soldado to Kane is laughable. Kane would be lucky as fuck to have half the career of Soldado.

great lets keep tim on then and start Kane because he's scored in 2 meaningless games against dross fuck off and if Ade had let it fuckn roll the defender would've got there, unnecessary risks are stupidity personified

it's natural Eriksen, Soldado and Chadli all showing signs of improvement as they've almost had a full season here but comparing Soldado to Kane is laughable. Kane would be lucky as fuck to have half the career of Soldado.

Didn't mention Sherwood once, let alone keeping him. Don't put your obsessions on me.

I hope your forgive me for complimenting the quality play of a young academy graduate. We don't need those guys to be good considering our unlimited transfer war chest. Oh wait.

Kane's goals were against dross? Soldado's goals from open play are against Cardiff, Villa, and a team getting relegated from the Russian League. Not that that matters but don't act like your argument isn't contradictory.

I would start Soldado over Kane but he still has a lot to prove and the argument of blaming the manager doesn't make sense considering the other guys scoring and the chances that he's gotten and missed. Our problems under Sherwood have largely been at the other side of the pitch where we are appalling.

It always makes me laugh when people make this argument, like its money thats come out of their pocket. Fuck how much he cost, we're not in it for the money. Just because he went for 26 million and not 2.6 million shouldn't mean he'll take any less time to adjust. Its not like when we were negotiating for him, we said "Look, ordinarily we'd give you 26 mill but due to the fact he's never been in the premier league before and will probably take a while to get his head on straight, we'll knock you down to 15"

He's a normal fucking guy like any of us. Whenever i start a new job i usually take a few weeks to settle in, and i don't have forums, message boards and newspapers constantly commenting on how i do. And by all accounts the guys had a tough year. If he's still shit this time next year, i'll happily bin him off next summer and admit this one didn't work out, but lets face it, even in this season, which has been below par, he's scored a fair amount of quite crucial goals.

It always makes me laugh when people make this argument, like its money thats come out of their pocket. Fuck how much he cost, we're not in it for the money. Just because he went for 26 million and not 2.6 million shouldn't mean he'll take any less time to adjust. Its not like when we were negotiating for him, we said "Look, ordinarily we'd give you 26 mill but due to the fact he's never been in the premier league before and will probably take a while to get his head on straight, we'll knock you down to 15"

He's a normal fucking guy like any of us. Whenever i start a new job i usually take a few weeks to settle in, and i don't have forums, message boards and newspapers constantly commenting on how i do. And by all accounts the guys had a tough year. If he's still shit this time next year, i'll happily bin him off next summer and admit this one didn't work out, but lets face it, even in this season, which has been below par, he's scored a fair amount of quite crucial goals.

Pretty unfair to my comments. I said he was one of my favorite personalities in the team and that he needs to find the confidence that made him a great goal scorer in the past. My only point is he needs to improve and that it would be unfair to blame coaching for his lack of goals when our other important attacking players are scoring consistently. I don't think that is something that is massively controversial.

Also, we're not talking about a couple of weeks anymore at this point. We're talking about a whole season. I'm sure he would admit he needs to improve and that's all I'm saying. He's an important player for us going forward and him finding his form is paramount. I didn't slag him off, I just said he needs to play a little better. Said nothing rude about him whatsoever and I'm rooting for him more than anyone in the side because his work ethic and effort are arguably the most commendable on the team.

Back
Top Bottom