Scholes v Lampard v Gerrard

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who was the best amongst these 3 ?

• Scholes

Votes: 31 73.8%
  • Lampard

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Gerrard

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Fuck'em! it's Pirlo

Votes: 8 19.0%

• Total voters
Have your say gentlemen.Which of these 3 were better , in your opinion .
PS Carragher dug up this debate today , hence the thread .

Scholes then Gerrard then a big gap then lampard.

Scholes is the best midfielder to have played in the prem IMO a level above the others, english and foreign alike, I would take a young Scholes over every other prem player ronaldo and bale included, he did the most important job to run the game and he did it better than everyone else, criminally used by England then retired early.

Gerrard was spectacular in his younger days but has been declining for 4-5 years, lampard is well an alright goal poacher like Dempsey I suppose from midfield but his Contribution otherwise is average.

Scholes, the guy was magical, had he been fucking foreign, everyone would of bumlicked him, the guys accuracy of a long overhead pass was second to none, natural footballer, not flashy or fucking prancy, did his job and was a born playmaker, gerrard and lampard are just overhyped

Scholes all day long. The England team should have been built around him, not shunting him out wide so Gerrard/Lampard could be ineffective with each other.

Couldn't tackle for shit and was a guaranteed yellow card each game, but he was phenomenal with the ball.

As much as I despise fat Frank, credit where it's due, his goal scoring record from midfield - penalties or not - is going to take some beating. I've never been a fan of Gerrard, far too many compliments have been sent his way. Glad he has retired from England duty.

Scholes. whilst the press. and, it seemed, half the public shat their collective pants over beckham's latest hairdo, Scholes got on with the job of being a far far superior footballer than anyone else we had at the time.
Gerrad and Lampardf were people that played in the same time frame as him. certainly weren't his peers

Still love the Scholes story when C.Ronaldo first turned up to training and was showing off his kick up tekker things to the group. Scholes walked over picked the ball off him pointed to a tree about 50 yards away and kicked the ball directly at it gesruring for Ronaldo to attempt the same, Ronaldo attempts and misses, Scholes shakes head and walks away.

Still love the Scholes story when C.Ronaldo first turned up to training and was showing off his kick up tekker things to the group. Scholes walked over picked the ball off him pointed to a tree about 50 yards away and kicked the ball directly at it gesruring for Ronaldo to attempt the same, Ronaldo attempts and misses, Scholes shakes head and walks away.

I like the tekkers story Lineker told about Maradona. They played in a commemorative game together at Wembley, and Maradona came to out warm up. He juggled the ball up to the halfway line, then just booted it 50 yards into the air, waited for it come down, and booted it up again. He never had to do more than walk to the next position, and he did it 12 times.
When Lineker got back to Barcelona, they all tried it and the best effort was three, and that was with a massive sprint at the end.

Last edited:
I like the tekkers story Lineker told about Maradona. They played in a commemorative game together at Wembley, and Maradona came to out warm up. He juggled the ball up to the halfway line, then just booted it 50 yards into the air, waited for it come down, and booted up again. He never had to do more than walk to the next position, and he did it 12 times.
When Lineker got back to Barcelona, they all tried it and the best effort was three, and that was with a massive sprint at the end.

Thinking about it with the ball coming down so fast it seems an insane piece of ability to do that and keep it roughly in the same position.

Scholes was one of the best players in the world. Should have been England's linchpin but we stuck him out wide because he was our best player.

We always do that, to be fair to Gerrard after Scholes retired Gerrard was probably our best player (back in the days when he could run quick) and he got stuck out left as well so Lampard could be complete dogshit in the middle.

Back when we had all three I would have put Scholes in midfield his best position, Gerrard just behind the striker which is where he was always more effective and Lampard on the bench, instead all three got thrown in the middle with Scholes on the left, bizarre!

I think Scholes adapted much better to his advancing years by becoming more of a deep midfielder who dictated the tempo, but could still spot the killer pass. Gerrard at his peak was probably better than Scholes - he could take the game by the scruff of the neck and drag his team across the line like he did in Istanbul and at Wembley against West Ham. Both slightly different players, but I think overall Scholes has been better throughout his career.

Lampard was a fantastic midfielder for Chelsea back when they were winning the league title, but, quite honestly, he isn't fit to lace Scholes' boots.

I think Scholes adapted much better to his advancing years by becoming more of a deep midfielder who dictated the tempo, but could still spot the killer pass. Gerrard at his peak was probably better than Scholes - he could take the game by the scruff of the neck and drag his team across the line like he did in Istanbul and at Wembley against West Ham. Both slightly different players, but I think overall Scholes has been better throughout his career.

Lampard was a fantastic midfielder for Chelsea back when they were winning the league title, but, quite honestly, he isn't fit to lace Scholes' boots.

Lampard for me was a Dempsey, clever finisher from midfield but didn't have enough of an all round game to be top draw and was surrounded at Chelsea by stars which covered his significant shortcomings. Horrible to say but if he never existed Scholes probably would have been used better and England would have been a better team, Lampard's affect on the England team always seemed to be extremly neagative with idiot managers throwing Scholes and Gerrard all over the place to accomadate a far lesser player in Lampard.

Gerrard had insane power, speed and energy when he was young and he could use it to destroy other teams but over the last 4-5 years it has all but disappeared, he is technically good but his brain is wired to play the hollywood style that his body is not able to pull off anymore, his defensive positioning is also sometimes dodgy which doesn't help when you are playing right in front of the back two, I think he can operate well in a three man midfield but England's two man midfield is to much for an old player like him to deal with.

Scholes is a genius, I have said it 2-3 times so I guess I am repeating myself but the best Prem player ever above Ronaldo, Bale, Shearer and douche bag Henry IMO, certainly United's best player since Charlton and Best.

Back
Top Bottom