Rotation=Yes or No!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I love hearing about how the players in any sport were so much better than their modern day counterparts because they played more, or played hurt, or played in worse conditions ect.

The simple fact is no matter how great the heroes of yesteryear were today's players would run circles around them. I am by no means saying players from those days weren't good players but I'd be willing to bet Leicester or Sunderland would dominate teams from 40 years ago.

I'm pretty sure the Liverpool & Leeds teams of the mid-late '70s would tear last seasons' Leicester a new one!
Joe-1.jpg

...do me a favour!
faef16cf134dd1049fae59e9b0236ce8.jpg
article-2604722-1D1E7D8500000578-82_470x607_popup.jpg

...not to mention a certain D.Mackay 10 years earlier!!
Dave_mackay_3217606b.jpg

They'd have 'em for breakfast... shit them out, and eat them up again!

I seriously hope you're referring to the quality and not the quantity. When those players played we were almost always using a 4-4-2. Now that we play with one striker, having 4 would be ludicrous.
Quality first of all. There are 10 strikers listed there, and 9 of them are a lot better than Janssen.
Quantity a bit though. I would like to have Harry + a quality partner/alternative + a very good youngster.

Kane/Lukaku/Iheanacho ... something like that.

We have moved past the time when spending a lot of money on 1 player would move us from 12th to 7th. Our team/bench is getting good enough that 1 player could be the difference between winning the league or not now.

I'm pretty sure the Liverpool & Leeds teams of the mid-late '70s would tear last seasons' Leicester a new one!
Joe-1.jpg

...do me a favour!
faef16cf134dd1049fae59e9b0236ce8.jpg
article-2604722-1D1E7D8500000578-82_470x607_popup.jpg

...not to mention a certain D.Mackay 10 years earlier!!
Dave_mackay_3217606b.jpg

They'd have 'em for breakfast... shit them out, and eat them up again!
Just because Vardy is a bitch doesn't mean Morgan, Huth and Fuchs and wouldn't be enforcers. Plus the little bitch would have been knocking heads with that cast all day long.

I love hearing about how the players in any sport were so much better than their modern day counterparts because they played more, or played hurt, or played in worse conditions ect.

The simple fact is no matter how great the heroes of yesteryear were today's players would run circles around them. I am by no means saying players from those days weren't good players but I'd be willing to bet Leicester or Sunderland would dominate teams from 40 years ago.
I don't know how old you are mate, if you have only watched the game since sky invented football?
I can compare the different era's of the game as I have watched live football for over 40 years, annoying as that may be at least it gives me an informed view.
I don't think rotation is as important as it's made out to be as in the past it's been proved not to be a factor.
British clubs have had their most success in Europe in the 70s and 80s when rotation was never heard of.
In my opinion football was far better back then for your average fan, more competitive, ease of gaining admission and the atmosphere at games was leagues better!
Because players may be fitter today it doesn't mean they are more skilful, I personally don't think they are.
As for Sunderland and Leicester dominating teams from 40 years ago that made me chuckle, both those current teams would struggle in the old 1st division.

I don't know how old you are mate, if you have only watched the game since sky invented football?
...As for Sunderland and Leicester dominating teams from 40 years ago that made me chuckle, both those current teams would struggle in the old 2nd division.

FIXED!

I can compare the different era's of the game as I have watched live football for over 40 years, annoying as that may be at least it gives me an informed view.
I don't think rotation is as important as it's made out to be as in the past it's been proved not to be a factor.
British clubs have had their most success in Europe in the 70s and 80s when rotation was never heard of.
In my opinion football was far better back then for your average fan, more competitive, ease of gaining admission and the atmosphere at games was leagues better!
Because players may be fitter today it doesn't mean they are more skilful, I personally don't think they are.
As for Sunderland and Leicester dominating teams from 40 years ago that made me chuckle, both those current teams would struggle in the old 1st division.
There is no point arguing this point because you obviously aren't going to change your mind, and neither am I. We will have to agree to disagree on this.

I think different components went into what made a better player...
back then (40+ years ago) being part of the Football Club, and it's Community, meant so much more... whether that was to play (or fight) for the cause was down to the individual player... sometimes both!

Nowadays, as sad as it sounds, but having a Twitter/Instagram account that allows you to touch base with our Far Eastern Singapore Branch of fans, whilst rehearsing a pre-meditated 'secret' handshake on scoring a goal is all that counts now!

The thing I love most about our current crop of players (ignoring the secret 'goalscoring handshake celebrations) is that in guys like Dele, Rose, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Dier, Eriksen, Winks and Kane, we have players that genuinely give a shit about Tottenham, the club, it's fans, and even the area of London in which they play.

You may say i'm a dreamer... but i'm not the only one!

There is no point arguing this point because you obviously aren't going to change your mind, and neither am I. We will have to agree to disagree on this.
Ahh that's a shame mate you bowing out before a debate got started
But I must say the likes of Dave Mackay, chopper Harris, Norman Hunter, Tommy smith etc would have rubbed their hands with glee at the prospect of facing a team wearing lime green boots, Alice bands, ponytails, gloves in October! Christ they would have them mentally beaten well before half time. Good luck coys

Ahh that's a shame mate you bowing out before a debate got started
But I must say the likes of Dave Mackay, chopper Harris, Norman Hunter, Tommy smith etc would have rubbed their hands with glee at the prospect of facing a team wearing lime green boots, Alice bands, ponytails, gloves in October! Christ they would have them mentally beaten well before half time. Good luck coys

Not so much bowing out before a debate gets started as saving us both the time of getting all worked up because we both know we are right and just move on to calling each other cunts.

While I do agree that the game was immensely more physical 40 years ago, I truly believe the conditioning of the modern players would win out before half.

Not a fan of it for a couple of reasons, foremost that it means the best players aren't necessarily the ones wearing the shirts. So rotation can't be a meritocracy and if it can't be a meritocracy, where is the incentive to be the best?

I'd always play the strongest eleven available and use subs when we have gotten into a good position or the first eleven is tiring.

Everyone knows where they stands in that respect and everyone knows what we stand for.

Well the proof is that despite playing the strongest team Thursday and again yesterday they were not too tired and can now have a week's rest. Rotation is fine if the replacements are good enough or there are only a few so that they are not a bunch of strangers. Yes everyone needs a rest but with injuries a lot of them have had that this season. The likes of Winks is not only good enough but can play in premiership matches as the only change rather than as part of 5/6 changes for a cup match.

Well the proof is that despite playing the strongest team Thursday and again yesterday they were not too tired and can now have a week's rest. Rotation is fine if the replacements are good enough or there are only a few so that they are not a bunch of strangers. Yes everyone needs a rest but with injuries a lot of them have had that this season. The likes of Winks is not only good enough but can play in premiership matches as the only change rather than as part of 5/6 changes for a cup match.
Let's not forget we have possibly lost the best CB pairing in the League???

I think for the rest of the season now we have a week between games. I want us going full strength every single week. Time to build up more momentum.

Back
Top Bottom