Rotation=Yes or No!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you you think rotating the team is the best way in sustaining a consistency needed to create a winning team both in league or in a cup competition? With the exception of injuries and suspensions should our best eleven be played at all times?

We have to as we play in europe, if we ever miss out on the EL or CL I see no reason why we need to rotate, we don't have the depth to significantly rotate effectively.

Rotation isn't a choice. The number of games dictates the extent to which a club must rotate players within its squad. If the club ignores this fact then injuries will force unplanned rotation.
We don't currently have enough strength in depth to compete for titles on all fronts. A few more seasons of Poch before we're there I think. Youth development is our only answer, since our transfer capabilities seem relatively limited both in terms of our financial power and scouting ability.

I like the idea (especially in a week like this with 3 cup games) of having 4/5 youngsters/2nd string in with a core of our 1st XI.

Think I said in the Josh Onumah thread a few weeks back that he's not really had any minutes (other than 5 min cameos) where he's alongside Alli with Dembele behind and Kane ahead. Bound to produce a different outcome than Sissoko, GKN and Janssen alongside him.

Rotation is key to ensuring that when injuries happen, we can just plug in the next man up. I honestly would like to see more frequent rotation of a smaller number of players. There should be no reason that we can't sub in 2-3 players on a regular basis when playing lower table teams. The wholesale changes of 9-10 players in for FA Cup and Euro matches wouldn't be needed and I think we could be more consistent.

I like the idea (especially in a week like this with 3 cup games) of having 4/5 youngsters/2nd string in with a core of our 1st XI.

Think I said in the Josh Onumah thread a few weeks back that he's not really had any minutes (other than 5 min cameos) where he's alongside Alli with Dembele behind and Kane ahead. Bound to produce a different outcome than Sissoko, GKN and Janssen alongside him.
Hope I never see Onomah in a Spurs shirt again.

Rotation is key to ensuring that when injuries happen, we can just plug in the next man up. I honestly would like to see more frequent rotation of a smaller number of players. There should be no reason that we can't sub in 2-3 players on a regular basis when playing lower table teams. The wholesale changes of 9-10 players in for FA Cup and Euro matches wouldn't be needed and I think we could be more consistent.
Agreed. We would see better development from players we're otherwise nervous about when necessity dictates their starting place.

We have to as we play in europe, if we ever miss out on the EL or CL I see no reason why we need to rotate, we don't have the depth to significantly rotate effectively.

Redknapp managed it, though. Quite well too.

Poch seems to refuse to accommodate the notion of building a squad capable of rotation, instead choosing to consistently ignore players (or at least that's how it seems)

Is it really a yes/no thing? You can't not rotate, half the team would be injured by January.
Exactly. It's not a yes/no question, but more of a how question. Do you rotate a couple players on a regular basis or make massive changes the way Poch has been so far.

Haven't we got enough evidence now that there is a first 11, and after that only about 5 players who can come in and do a job to the required standard?
When everyone is fit, we have the first team + Vorm, Dier, Trippier, Winks and Lamela.

yes we should rotate the team we have a squad that needs playing time, there will be our first 11 and its normal sub's + 1 or 2 kids who an be put on to get the feel of he big time
then there is the second 11 which will include the sub's from the first team,
then there is a mix and match team made of the first 11 and the second 11
so in the easier games we should be able to play the second 11 and still hopefully win,
these are premiership players they are paid good money they need to prove they are worth it

Rotation is a great idea when you have 2 players in each position fighting for a start.
Not such a great idea when you have about 14 players fighting for a start.

Agree that it's not a question of yes or no, in the modern game it's how to do it efficiently and successfully. Not sure that we have got the hang of it yet, but Poch seems to take lessons on board, and I have faith that we will get better at it, in time.

Best CB pairing a must. Barring injuries they should be capable. Full backs need to be rested as ours play with high intensity One change in central midfield and 2 changes of the other 4.
5 at most.
Leaves a spine.
That means Trippier and Davies, play as full backs winks/Dier i the middle alongside Wanyama/Dembele, Nkoudo Onomah or Sissoko to fill for either two of Son, Eriksen and dele and Jansen for Kane.
At present there are probably 3 of those 6 replacements you'd trust to do a decent job in those positions.

Back
Top Bottom