Rant about Spurs

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So I'm sitting in a pub in Swansea enjoying a couple of pints of Mumbles and I'm thinking about Spurs. I'm thinking that the deficiencies in this team are a product of our success and also of our capriciousness as fans. We as fans need to be patient.

I'm not a great football strategist. Everything I know about football strategy I learned from watching Spurs and playing Pro Evo. But even I can see that the problem is speed. And therefore confidence.

The players lack confidence to run at defences with the ball, without the ball they lack confidence in their teammates so don't make a run for a pass, they lack confidence in their ability to shoot when it's not a gilt-edged chance and they also lack confidence in predicting the bounce and therefore being regularly flatfooted.

This all means that we don't break well. This is the biggest frustration I've felt over the last couple of games. When we break we don't know what to do, we stop and think, look for the perfect pass. Wait some more. And by then the opposition are repositioned and the break is all but useless. If the ball gets to the box the players try to tap it around to find a perfect shot, inevitably ending in someone being caught in possession. This breeds confidence in the opposition.

I felt Besiktas knew that we had no teeth and so they let us tire ourselves out on countless attacks. Yet they scored from one of their few proper chances at the time. Swansea was feeling like Istanbul all over again (with a roof this time - blatant) until Eriksen took a chance. Our players worked hard. Especially against Besiktas I felt the pressing was well done. But ultimately pointless.

This is an issue of footballing strategy partly but also confidence. We don't know what Poch is saying but I don't think it is "slow down". Either way it is something that will get better naturally over time. Confidence in their own abilities and in teammates will grow. Breaks will be more fluid. Attacks will end in more goals. But as fans we need to give more time.

Lamella has been particularly frustrating because he gives the ball away more often than not. But with him at least I feel like he's trying not to be slow. Trying to find that killer pass. And it must be based partly in knowledge that he is good enough but it's just not happening at the moment. Again, the worst thing we can do as fans is moan and destroy his and the team's confidence further.

Eriksen's successful shot does not negate this.

Now some other reasons why we are not clicking that came to me today: 1] we are in the Europa League.
2] we are Spurs.

I think the fact that we have played in cups, European games and the league means we have had a broad variety of styles to play against. Add this to Poch trying to find his best team and we have not had much consistent play in one style with one team. They are still learning and I believe there is a massive "click" coming. A click that will incorporate different playing styles and our players will be better in the long run because of this.

Spurs.

This is hard to articulate. I think teams in the lower half of the table are happy with 'parking the bus'. I think teams in the top half (or third) try to take the game to the opposition. I think as some here have said it can be easier playing against teams that play to win as they're more open.

I think we are trying to play like a top four side (as we should) but we are not there yet in reality. This means we are more open. Which just makes it easier for opposition teams, no matter who they are, to attack.
Again, taking it to the opposition and suffering the consequences only works if your attacks are effective. Ours aren't.

Again, this means we are losing some games but I don't think it's a bad thing. We are on a learning curve and this will help the players grow.

It's better to fail trying to perfect a winning style and one day being winners than scrape more points with a 'survivor' style and always be survivors.

What was my point? Need another Mumbles.

Fuck anyone who posts "did not read" gifs

So I'm sitting in a pub in Swansea enjoying a couple of pints of Mumbles and I'm thinking about Spurs. I'm thinking that the deficiencies in this team are a product of our success and also of our capriciousness as fans. We as fans need to be patient.

I'm not a great football strategist. Everything I know about football strategy I learned from watching Spurs and playing Pro Evo. But even I can see that the problem is speed. And therefore confidence.

The players lack confidence to run at defences with the ball, without the ball they lack confidence in their teammates so don't make a run for a pass, they lack confidence in their ability to shoot when it's not a gilt-edged chance and they also lack confidence in predicting the bounce and therefore being regularly flatfooted.

This all means that we don't break well. This is the biggest frustration I've felt over the last couple of games. When we break we don't know what to do, we stop and think, look for the perfect pass. Wait some more. And by then the opposition are repositioned and the break is all but useless. If the ball gets to the box the players try to tap it around to find a perfect shot, inevitably ending in someone being caught in possession. This breeds confidence in the opposition.

I felt Besiktas knew that we had no teeth and so they let us tire ourselves out on countless attacks. Yet they scored from one of their few proper chances at the time. Swansea was feeling like Istanbul all over again (with a roof this time - blatant) until Eriksen took a chance. Our players worked hard. Especially against Besiktas I felt the pressing was well done. But ultimately pointless.

This is an issue of footballing strategy partly but also confidence. We don't know what Poch is saying but I don't think it is "slow down". Either way it is something that will get better naturally over time. Confidence in their own abilities and in teammates will grow. Breaks will be more fluid. Attacks will end in more goals. But as fans we need to give more time.

Lamella has been particularly frustrating because he gives the ball away more often than not. But with him at least I feel like he's trying not to be slow. Trying to find that killer pass. And it must be based partly in knowledge that he is good enough but it's just not happening at the moment. Again, the worst thing we can do as fans is moan and destroy his and the team's confidence further.

Now some other reasons why we are not clicking that came to me today: 1] we are in the Europa League.
2] we are Spurs.

I think the fact that we have played in cups, European games and the league means we have had a broad variety of styles to play against. Add this to Poch trying to find his best team and we have not had much consistent play in one style with one team. They are still learning and I believe there is a massive "click" coming. A click that will incorporate different playing styles and our players will be better in the long run because of this.

Spurs.

This is hard to articulate. I think teams in the lower half of the table are happy with 'parking the bus'. I think teams in the top half (or third) try to take the game to the opposition. I think as some here have said it can be easier playing against teams that play to win as they're more open.

I think we are trying to play like a top four side (as we should) but we are not there yet in reality. This means we are more open. Which just makes it easier for opposition teams, no matter who they are, to attack.
Again, taking it to the opposition and suffering the consequences only works if your attacks are effective. Ours aren't.

Again, this means we are losing some games but I don't think it's a bad thing. We are on a learning curve and this will help the players grow.

It's better to fail trying to perfect a winning style and one day being winners than scrape more points with a 'survivor' style and always be survivors.

We won, let's all be happy for a change and it's just the result that really matters. #COYS

Last edited:

2] we are Spurs.

Spurs.

Must be a shit boozer mate,for fuck sake don,t start on the gin.

Too fucking long...didn't read...
anigif_enhanced-611-1418568848-3.gif

I've never had to proof read my posts, yet I've never wrote a Dylan Thomas-esque rant

(See what I did there)
Forgot to souvenir the Dylan Thomas coaster. Fuck.
Try using swipe to write something on your phone and see how many mistakes you get.

And Fuck me ! It was meant to be a layman's optimistic rant. Not draw the ire of the entire board...

Wow Smoked Salmon Smoked Salmon ...
Anyone would think this is just a place for guys to talk shit! ;)
Seriously I'm not even taking offense. And I wouldn't read something that long myself unless I had a particularly difficult poo to deal with.
Just seems kind of repetitive the type of 'discussion' that takes place here ...

Back
Top Bottom