Questions for our fanbase

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's not as simple as that. Mr Hopcraft explains it better than I ever could.

"The point about football in Britain is that it is not just a sport people take to, like cricket or tennis or running long distances. It is inherent in the people. It is built into the urban psyche. It is not a phenomenon; it is an everyday matter. There is more eccentricity in deliberately disregarding it than in devoting a life to it. Its sudden withdrawal from the people would bring deeper disconsolation than to deprive them of television. The way we play the game, organise it and reward it reflects the kind of community we are."

Arthur Hopcraft - 1968
I could say the same about any number of sports teams. But at the same time, in terms of their relationship to the law, it's different. I'm a big supporter of fan ownership for that reason. It ensures the legal status and emotional connection match.

I could say the same about any number of sports teams. But at the same time, in terms of their relationship to the law, it's different. I'm a big supporter of fan ownership for that reason. It ensures the legal status and emotional connection match.
That wasn't my point. Did you read the quote? If you did, why this response? It makes no sense. It's like you want to answer a different point altogether

I don't think it is a fair comparison with Cardiff City. The fans accepted a lot of what the new owners decided to do, but not because they liked all of it. The new owners were accepted because they were not Sam Hammam or Peter Ridsdale. If Spurs was being run by Hammam/Ridsdale then I reckon we would also support any alternative. Whatever you think of Enic they don't compare to that pair.

I thought that moving to Stratford was a good idea BUT of course not when it transpired we were being played for mugs by the OS committee. To me, IF we were going to move into a brand new football stadium next season at the Olympic site, it would be far preferable to the expensive fiasco we've been landed with instead.

IF the people of Totenham wanted us so badly to stay, where's the clamour against the hold ups and extra costs we've suffered. Most Spurs fans travel tens of miles to get to the Lane, for many Stratford with its excellent transport connections would be an easier journey, plus it would have stopped West Ham in their tracks. (kinda pun, kinda meant) Now instead West Ham have a realistic chance to overtake us in the next twenty years after over 100 years in our shadow, the thought of us becoming London's fourth club is horrendous to me.

Mate, we are a North London club. Have we not derided Woolwich for the last 100 years or so for moving into our territory, and now you think it is a good idea for Spurs to do something similar. It may have been a cheaper option, but that isn't our problem. The reality is that we are struggling to get bums into seats at the moment, Just look on the official site to see the swathes of empty seats still available for forthcoming games. A new stadium in Tottenham will be almost impossible to fill, other than a few high profile games, if it were in Pikyland, and taking into account the thousands of Spurs supporters that would refuse to go, just imagine how empty the stadium would be !!

That wasn't my point. Did you read the quote? If you did, why this response? It makes no sense. It's like you want to answer a different point altogether
I read it, but I apologise for not being clear. I mean that I don't really see the exclusivity which it claims. The emotional meaning that a sports team provides is not an exclusively English thing in its depth.

My point is that for all the meaning and signficance of a football club to the everyday life of the fans, its legal status is completely different. Under the laws of the land, which is what these clubs are operating by, the relationship is simply one of paying for 2 hours of entertainment. Moral obligations have no weight, and are assigned no significance by the owners, in particular American ones used to the idea of getting public tax money to build stadiums, and moving clubs literally thousands of miles for more lucrative markets.

The relationship assumed to exist by the fans, and the legal basis on which ENIC owns THFC are not equivalent. I am not saying that is right, but I think it is a reality that should be acknowledged.

I think that if fans want to change that reality, invective-filled social media screams at the club aren't going to accomplish anything. Nor are banners, or protests or a Supporter's Trust which assumes it has the right to talk transfer policy with the club. If fans want ENIC to listen, they need to actually put some cash on the table and buy some influence by owning a chunk (or ideally all) of the club. All the rich prose on the cultural meaning of football have no bearing on the situation. Power, and how to acquire it does.

I am sorry if that was unclear initially, or that it doesn't make sense following on from what you said. I was replying on the basis of what I understood the conversation to be about, taking into account the conversation which you had quoted. Apologies for the confusion.

I don't think it is a fair comparison with Cardiff City. The fans accepted a lot of what the new owners decided to do, but not because they liked all of it. The new owners were accepted because they were not Sam Hammam or Peter Ridsdale. If Spurs was being run by Hammam/Ridsdale then I reckon we would also support any alternative. Whatever you think of Enic they don't compare to that pair.
It's true that these factors need to be taken into consideration. But at the same time, most Cardiff fans did just stand back and let Tan change their colours and badge. A lot of them actively embraced it by buying the new shirt and wearing the scarves the club gave out for free at one particular game. We, as football fans of whichever club, need to organise ourselves to stop this kind of thing from happening.

Back
Top Bottom