Progress

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No point arguing or turning this into a big shit show, folks are going to see it for what it was; trying to kick a man who just faced the possibility of death is low. Banter is all good and fun, but no reason to take it to that level. Just seems senseless to try and hurt someone like that.

Wasn't my intention

Exactly mate. Absolutely ridiculous.

Another classic, yes mate!!

Ironic because in previous seasons the team has been slated for being mentally weak, not scoring enough late goals and conceding too many. But when we finally win games late, we slate the team for not winning the game earlier, and I actually find people tallying up games we've won late to use as an argument AGAINST our results!

Quite amazing really.

Another great example! Again, one I cannot even think how to reply to as its so blatantly obvious that in sport you will win some and you'll lose some, unless you're the best team in the league/world.

Never ceases to amaze me. Never.
You forgot my personal favorite of them all: the argument that without the points earned off Kane's goals we'd have finished 14th or something...which also requires you to assume the premise that we played with 10 men and a big hole on the pitch where a striker would be!
:paulinhofacepalm:

Crumbs.

How's that cancer going?

Must be tough.
Sorry to come back to this, but what are you trying to prove with this? I'm genuinely confused. We've had a bit of snotty posh banter, and I dissed your scottish mate, and POW!!!

Hope the "wife" thing goes well mate, because she must be a fucking ghoul if she's within a hundred miles of you.

Last edited:
You forgot my personal favorite of them all: the argument that without the points earned off Kane's goals we'd have finished 14th or something...which also requires you to assume the premise that we played with 10 men and a big hole on the pitch where a striker would be!
:paulinhofacepalm:

oh u superior all knowing wise ones. please tell us more of your favourites. ps. i am glad to see u have all let it go & moved on.

oh u superior all knowing wise ones. please tell us more of your favourites. ps. i am glad to see u have all let it go & moved on.
Some people haven't let Redknapp or Sherwood go & moved on! We have just finished 5th. I would say that the managerial ship has been steadied & we have consolidated our position as the 5th best team. As others have said, we haven't spent as much as Pool & finished above them. We can't compete financially with Citeh, Chavs or United. Even Woolwich can throw £44 million at Ozil & £30 million at Sanchez. We seem to be identifying targets earlier than usual & if we can conclude some transfers early in the window, giving Poch a full summer with "his" squad, we are better placed going into next season with a squad built by the manager. The aim now has to be to break into the top 4. Last season is already history & history will say we finished 5th.

So, season over and I genuinely have no idea whether progress is being made... which kinda suggests it isn't... yet. We played good stuff and bad stuff in almost equal measure (as reflected in our goal difference) and probably could have finished as low as 7th with this points total / GD in previous seasons so benefited from a weak showing from Liverpool and Everton. League wise we showed glimpses of 'what might be' sandwiched inbetween the bread of mediocrity or worse.

Cup wise I'd argue we marginally underperformed (GASP) by going out earlier than we should in the Europa after some distinctly average performances, and out of the FA cup early after conceeding a late goal to Leicester at home. League cup was a bright spot, but one that saw a run to the final that produced no opposition above Premiership relegation dodgers Newcastle. In the final itself we just got outmanaged by Mourinho who neutered our gameplan with the simple introduction of Zouma infront of the defence which stopped Kane dropping deep and pulling Terry / Cahill out of position. Still, two deflections were the difference so we didn't disgrace ourselves.

Player development was a big plus in the case of youth players, while mostly a negative with senior players. How does that work for us? Well, it's great to have a pipeline of young players coming through but getting the best out of your big names is just as important if you want to win stuff.

Tactically Poch needs to change the way we defend. It's not a personel thing, it's a tactics thing and we don't only conceed more chances than other teams but we conceed much better quality chances than other teams. I can't see Poch changing his high pressing tactics so god knows he needs to find a way of closing down that mile of attacking space that our opponents get whenever our fullbacks get forward to provide (all) our width. Equally you can't play a solid deep defensive player like Fazio in a system like that without difficulties - but no CM enjoys having a third of a pitch to cover.

I'm no fan of Poch but he deserves a summer and at least until Xmas to show us that he can address the issues barring us from being a top 4 side. Whether it's even possible to be a top 4 side playing this system without the funds to secure the worlds best technical midfielders remains to be seen.

Some people haven't let Redknapp or Sherwood go & moved on! We have just finished 5th. I would say that the managerial ship has been steadied & we have consolidated our position as the 5th best team. As others have said, we haven't spent as much as Pool & finished above them. We can't compete financially with Citeh, Chavs or United. Even Woolwich can throw £44 million at Ozil & £30 million at Sanchez. We seem to be identifying targets earlier than usual & if we can conclude some transfers early in the window, giving Poch a full summer with "his" squad, we are better placed going into next season with a squad built by the manager. The aim now has to be to break into the top 4. Last season is already history & history will say we finished 5th.
i agree. i only brought up previous managers to point out that it was a terrible crime when they did certain things. but it was suddenly ok when poch did it. onwards & upwards!

i agree. i only brought up previous managers to point out that it was a terrible crime when they did certain things. but it was suddenly ok when poch does it. onwards & upwards!
What certain things are you talking about though? It's a bit vague to say "certain things" without giving examples of the faults that all 4 managers going back to Harry have repeated. Harry signed his own P45 by flirting with the FA & the press about the England job. AVB was lost once Bale was sold. Tim engineered a situation to get the job full time & was very full of himself. If he had played his hand differently (accepted caretaker role until end of season & not come across as such an arrogant tit) then I have the feeling he would have got the job at the end of last season but it's all history now. Poch is the man in the hot seat & whilst everyone who watches Spurs will agree that it's not all been great last year, we have played some great football, some mediocre football & had some shockers. I think Anthony Beale said it, but that's the same as any other football team. Onwards & upwards indeed.

Back
Top Bottom