Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I would like to think Poch is at Spurs for the long haul and see's us as the perfect place to do what he loves - developing young players. We have some of the best facilities in the game, a new stadium coming, youngsters
coming through on a regular basis, and fans and a squad that love and respect him.

I would be hugely doubtful that he would even want to manage a national team because it would be the clubs doing
the developing, not him. I remember Redknapp saying he wouldn't want to manage the England team because he'd miss the day to day managing of a team. I think Poch is too young to only want to manage a team for a few games a year.

The only thing that worries me is an approach by Real, Barca or another top team in a Spanish speaking country. Look how much Ronaldo was loved at United, but he still wanted to go to Madrid because that's where Spanish speaking players dream of going. Bigger club, more money, champions league ... could he turn it down?

And what if Guardiola leaves Bayern ... would that be too good an offer to turn down?

I have concerns, but I'm clinging to the hope that he feels he's in the right place to do what he wants, with only the sky being the limit. Our affiliation with Argentina may also go in our favour too.

My worry is he will be head hunted the next time a big job comes along and would be very surprised if England dont move heaven and earth to get him after wonky woy run out of chances after the euros.

That's a very good shout actually. Lets hope that the anti "Argy" sentiment amongst "The Scum / Daily Fail" readers in this country would make him such an unpopular choice that it never happens.

How long has it been since we've had a manager so good that we've been worried about losing him to a bigger job?

Harry is the obvious one. But after his court appearance i was pretty sure that they would never give him the England Job. Plus by that point we were hemorrhaging points so was all a bit meh anyway.

EDIT: Thinking about it, i don't think that Poch would get enough time with the players for his methods to be effective managing a national side. Fitness is his cornerstone and if you're only getting a week at a time to train with players.

Last edited:
Here we go.... Poch to Madrid or England! Hahaha 3 months ago he was put on a time limit in some quarters

Things we remember: the grey between black and white!

Hope we can stay under that radar for as long as we can, easing any silly expectations put on him and our young squad by the media

Just before we played Real in the summer, Poch said that he would one day "love" to coach them. I remember this distinctly because it was one of the only things he's done that has perturbed me. Here's a link...

Tottenham Hotspur boss Mauricio Pochettino: 'I want to manage Real Madrid'
That doesn't disturb me. What manager wouldn't want to manage Madrid?

But really, I don't think he's a good fit for them. He doesn't play to Madrid's super-star model of football. That's why I said earlier that I'm afraid that Barca will come in for him at some point. With their superstars starting to age out, if they really wanted to reboot La Masia for a new generation then I think Pochettino is the natural choice.

They'd be more apt to allow him time to develop his philosophy than Madrid, who is apt to fire managers over a single result or simply the audacity to not win the league.

I don't disagree about Real not seeming to be a good fit for him.

It irritated me because (at least in my memory) he was like a giggling, blushing school girl when the reporter asked him about going there.

I dont think Poch is anywhere near a big enough name for Madrid or Barca but I think he's the natural choice for the England managers job , the only thing against him is he is not english and he doesn't have a great command of the english language but he manages English players very well and there isn't an english manager that should even be considered for the job , In my opinion what ever happens in France Hodgson wont be taking us to Russia and when the search begins Poch seems the overwhelmingly obvious choice to me at least to succeed him, hopefully out of allegiance to his mother land he wont be interested.

I dont think Poch is anywhere near a big enough name for Madrid or Barca but I think he's the natural choice for the England managers job , the only thing against him is he is not english and he doesn't have a great command of the english language but he manages English players very well and there isn't an english manager that should even be considered for the job , In my opinion what ever happens in France Hodgson wont be taking us to Russia and when the search begins Poch seems the overwhelmingly obvious choice to me at least to succeed him, hopefully out of allegiance to his mother land he wont be interested.

I think his English skills are better than we see. It's obvious he plays ignorant to the press and uses the language to deflect questions. Pure genius.

I think institutional racism wouldn't allow a manager whose English isn't great (obviously ignoring the fact that 90% of English managers speak very badly).
tumblr_lnmptd9W0e1qcqq49.gif

It would only take two shit games for him to completely lose his lustre.

We are more than capable of complete bombing in the second half of the season. Might as well enjoy the good times while they're here and not worry about losing him.

If he got us top four I'd be gutted to lose him, but the only way we definitely wouldn't lose him is if we finished terribly.

I'd rather take some glory as that's the whole reason he's here.

Poch is a terrible choice for England. It took him a year to develop and bring in players for our team. He can't do that for England. They'll never learn the system with only a week or so of training together at a time.

I think institutional racism wouldn't allow a manager whose English isn't great (obviously ignoring the fact that 90% of English managers speak very badly).

Capello springs to mind but Glenn's English wasn't great either!
"Hoddspeak"!

The fa would never employ an argentinian as manager of the national side..that we can be sure of.

Things are going well, its a good feeling at last....just enjoy things while we can, because levy will fuck it all up somehow, he always does

I don't think Poch would ever want to be an international manager and to be honest, I don't think he'd be nearly as good at it. He relys a lot on being able to bring in a certain type of player through transfers or the youth academy and then works intensively on fitness with them. I can't see that working with an international team.

Also the likes or Real Madrid want success far too quickly and to be honest so do we, he only got more patience than most because of the obvious state the club was when he took over to people were prepared to give a little more time especially when they could see the extra hard work being put in by the players.

Back
Top Bottom