Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We play shit mate, your poor attempt to justify it isn't enough fact is we look disjointed-disorganized, play looks predictable n laboured and one dimensional barring kane none of the player looks like he has any idea of whats going on and what he should do and subs are there to help a team change games while ours makes us look even more bad
Back to your logic abt being unlucky ? What u expect a team like Leicester to do? U expect them to line up in a 4-4-2 reversed formation with just 2 defenders ? Against united we were good? May be passing n movement wise but thats before the goal, after thoes initial 20 mins we barely managed few good shots in last 10 mins,,point is we were not unlucky n all barring the first half against stoke we have been poor average
I disagree entirely and we'll just have togo our separate ways. We've created more and better chances and shots than the other guys every match. Bang average teams don't do that.

We've had some pretty unlucky bounces in the first 3 games.
Better than Utd, but they got a flukey
OG. Way better than Stoke for 60 minutes, then a soft penalty and one mistake and we drew. We created
many more chances than Leicester,
and shut them down for the most part, but came away with a draw.
The tactics worked against Stoke,
but the players lost focus. Against a
Leicester that chose to park the bus, they worked less well due to the personnel, but breaking through a
parked bus has been a struggle for
Spurs since at least Redknapp's second season. Which is why teams like to do it. If it can win Inter and
Chelsea European Cups, it'll do
against us as well.
I guess N'Jie's work permit delay and perhaps fitness meant we couldn't
use him yesterday instead of Chadli,
and that's what hurt us most.Against Stoke, Kane (and others) could drop deep and play balls to runners
getting behind Stoke's backline.
Against Leicester there was much less space to do that, and that's where N'Jie's speed would have
helped us instead of Chadli.
Rose instead of Davies would have really helped as well.
We were still the better team, and should have won if a couple of
bounces had gone our way. That's life, but I think Pochettino still had the right idea, and it will work.

Can I come and live on your planet

Fucking hell
Well. I think it's true. They parked the bus, at home. They played deep defended with two banks of four and defended deep on the edge of their 18 yrs box.
It's the standard way of playing us, but it's usually at ours.
Their full backs invariably stayed back to stop our getting forward. They know we have not a lot of players capable of beating players, but they knew that if they gave us space behind to exploit we would.
We still had the better chances. Lloris only had to make one save &, like he said, if a couple of bounces would have gone our way, Dembele's shot, Kane's run and Dele Ali at the end, we would have one.
Bascially the only threat was Mahrez really. He had 3 shots. One hit the post and the other he scored.

Well I also think we:
1) played better than United
2) completley owned stoke for 60 minutes.

Against Leicester I would say it was a 50/50 game to be honest. So far this season I think weve played pretty well in general but the individual mistakes are costing us bad

We haven't been as shit as some are saying but we've hardly set the world alight either. We are pretty much a shoe in for 6th I think at least, especially once we add one or two more. Problem is we aren't going to splash out or buy the right players to challenge realistically for 4th.

Don't get all the doom and gloom but don't get the 'we've been unlucky' line either. We have fucked up in all 3 games, that isn't bad luck. Mistakes need ironing out and hopefully the results and confidence will come through for us.

Well I also think we:
1) played better than United
2) completley owned stoke for 60 minutes.

Against Leicester I would say it was a 50/50 game to be honest. So far this season I think weve played pretty well in general but the individual mistakes are costing us bad

Agreed.

And as I mentioned in the Leicester thread, we could quite easily have ended up with at least 6 points from our opening 3 games. Unfortunately we didn't because of our defensive side and concentration. I hope things improve as do we all.

Because we'll accumulate the 6th most points. :thumbup:

We'll find a way to scrape wins together like we did last season. Outside of the top 4/5 (and potentially ourselves) it is one big dog fight and everyone beats everyone. We aren't the most consistent side but I believe we will gain enough wins to finish 6th as a minimum.

I might be completely wrong, who knows....

I disagree entirely and we'll just have togo our separate ways. We've created more and better chances and shots than the other guys every match. Bang average teams don't do that.

Creating more chances and creating good chances are not the same thing. We bossed the game for an hour against Stoke and have looked pretty much shit going forward for the other 210 minutes.

Leicester were indeed fortunate to scrape a draw, except for that penalty being turned down, hitting the post and the late header straight at Lloris.
They hit the post? So they had a shot off target? They had 2 shots on target. The penalty is still debatable unless someone can provide me with some evidence where Mahrez wasn't holding onto Vertonghens shirt and Vertonghen didn't get a toe on the ball.

The game ultimately seemed pretty even when viewing. But we really should be capable of holding a 0-1 lead with just over 5 minutes of the game to go. That's the frustrating part. If we had won the game, no one would have moaned about out performance, but the manner of the draw is why it's frustrating. Same with the result against Stoke. The performance for 60 odd minutes was great, but the fact we threw away a 2 goal lead makes it even more annoying.

The Everton game can go either way. I feel we have a good record against Everton and we tend to raise our game against some of the bigger clubs as we saw against United. I think personally we will win, probably 2-1. I just want to see a better performance or should I say, a more consistent performance.

Creating more chances and creating good chances are not the same thing. We bossed the game for an hour against Stoke and have looked pretty much shit going forward for the other 210 minutes.
Creating more chances and creating better are indeed not the same thing. But we've done both in all 3 games. We have a legitimate reason to feel we should have at least 7 and perhaps even 9 points, not 2. If you feel differently, that's fine, but I see nothing of merit to the "we're shit" claims.

If it was a proven high level manager or we showed signs of progression then I'd give Poch far more time. I just don't get what people see in him, and find his track record concerning to say the least. He started well with Espanyol then fell back substantially in the second half of his third season before a mind-boggling start to his final season there when he picked up 9 points from 13 games. The club sacked him and replaced him with a decent journeyman who performed a minor miracle to escape relegation. I don't care that his squad was heavily impacted by player sales before that season, 9 points from 13 is utterly unacceptable.

Then at Southampton he took over a good attacking team and added a high energy style, doing well but not amazingly so when taken in context of the good young talent and the job Koeman did after Poch left. Once again though, Poch's Southampton started looking distinctly average in his last few months in charge. 8th with a squad subsequently sold off for over
£150m? Did he make those players, or was he benefiting from some good emerging talent? A bit of both I reckon.

Apart from a couple of standout games (and I'm not including the 5-3) I think we've regressed in our football and based on the above track record I fail to see why so many have faith that he'll come good if given time. That said, a managerial change is only a good idea if we know we can replace with a better option, and if none are available then we stick with Poch until there is, and keep our fingers crossed that he proves me horribly wrong.

My thoughts exactly. Did not want him for the reasons you state, must keep him now unless implosion carries on for a while.

Creating more chances and creating better are indeed not the same thing. But we've done both in all 3 games. We have a legitimate reason to feel we should have at least 7 and perhaps even 9 points, not 2. If you feel differently, that's fine, but I see nothing of merit to the "we're shit" claims.

We're lucky to have 2 points!

This is the most disappointing start to a season I can remember!

We're shit alright!

Every team in the league could easily have 9 or 0 points (except Woolwich and Liverpool I guess :gallashmm:), as Poch would say "this is football".

As to whether we've been dangerous going forward, agree to disagree I suppose.

If this is the most disappointing you can remember, you can't remember too far back in time.

Lose against Everton and miss out on our prime targets and have to settle for some 3rd rate loan that Poch didnt want. Not exactly unlikely is it?

If that happens, we wont be too far off a Ramos style start.

Our manager has form too.....9 from 13. Fucking bleak.

This is the worry for me & it has Levy's trademark written all over it.
Poor start to the season in terms of points on the board. Late activity in the transfer window. Manager struggling to integrate late signings into squad, due to lack of time on the training pitch. Levy, expecting miracles, sees that the fans are restless & that things are not going to "plan". Manager gets the sack. All the money we have saved by leaving the transfers late is squandered on the compensation deal to release the outgoing manager & the compensation package to the club of the incoming manager. If we add up what we have saved by driving the hard bargains in the transfer window & deduct what it has cost us in managers (either getting them in or getting rid of them) I wonder if there has been any true savings at all? What it does do, is leave us in a state of permanent transition. I'm not sure why that would appeal to Levy, but this has an all too familiar ring to it.

Back
Top Bottom