Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We were outstanding with Chadli starting on the left side before he went on bereavement. Why is Poch not starting him? I don't get it.

Combination of two things really, first of all he missed a lot of training (relatively speaking obviously) and second, Mousa found form as the #10 and the CE-MD-EL trio looked potent. Nacer will win his spot back soon enough IMO.

Bit of both.

I think big Sam dropped his first major clanger bringing on Carlton Cole instead of a defensive or midfield player.
I think this was his attempt at trying to prove doubters wrong. Instead of shoring up a 2-0 lead he wanted to show people he was going for a 3rd. I think the commentators even said at the time it was very 'un-allardyce.'
His big fat ego got in the way and we punished him for it.
Yeah, but by the time we punished him Cole had been taken off and replaced by a defender.

"Our simple ethos is this - we try to win the ball back as quickly as possible, as far up the field as we can" - Marcelo Bielsa, current Marseille coach and Mauricio Pochettino's former manager at both Newell's Old Boys in Argentina and Espanyol in Spain

Pochettino continues to subscribe to the three-second rule in attempting to recover possession, but what's really fascinating is how diligent the Tottenham boss is determined to be in giving his team the very best chance of achieving this goal.

The Argentine not only focuses on pressing high up the pitch but instructs his players to tackle opponents in such a way that it might increase the possibility of regaining possession of the ball rather than seeing it cannon out of play for a throw-in.

This emphasis on tackling - a skill some would suggest has decreased in importance in recent times - is highlighted by the statistical evidence. Tottenham have made ten more tackles than any other Premier League team this season.

Moreover, in accordance with Pochettino's demands, Spurs have made 28 more successful tackles (a tackle leading to the team retaining possession) than any other team this season. Their tackle success rate of 79.8% is currently higher than any team managed in 2012/13 or 2013/14.

Even in this era where talk of philosophy has become trite (and surely interchangeable with strategy) it is undeniable there is something distinct about a Pochettino team. Tackling illustrates the point. The team with the second-most tackles? His former club Southampton.

For a manager to impact on a team's approach in such swift fashion requires malleable minds willing to embrace a new way of working. It's telling in this regard how young players seem central to Pochettino's plans.

He certainly revelled in working with the likes of Luke Shaw, James Ward-Prowse, Calum Chambers and the rest at St Mary's. And while the Spurs squad represented a very different demographic upon his appointment, the speed with which it has been reshaped has been astonishing.

The Tottenham team that beat Woolwich earlier this month was the youngest fielded by anyone in the Premier League this season with an average age under 24 and four uncapped Englishmen among the ranks. It's a clear policy.

"For me, when you watch the training session, you do not see the names," said Pochettino in his post-match press conference after that north London derby win. "You have to be brave to give them the possibility to play. You need to take a risk."

Risks have been taken and Pochettino has been rewarded. Most notably, Harry Kane's 24 goals have more than justified his selection ahead of Emmanuel Adebayor and Roberto Soldado - two men who might be forgiven for clinging to the view that their old methods had some merit.

In midfield, Ryan Mason has established himself. The 23-year-old has embodied Pochettino's pressing with his tally of 62 tackles in the Premier League already only three short of the highest total managed by any Spurs player last season.

Nabil Bentaleb has partnered Mason in each of the last three Premier League games and continues to develop under Pochettino. "In training, he shows you clips," said the 20-year-old Algeria international, quoted in The Mirror. "He takes you one-by-one and shows you what you are doing wrong and doing right."

It can be demanding, as fellow Spurs midfielder Mousa Dembele would attest. "With this manager as well, training is different than we're used to," said Dembele. "It's much harder. I think it is a good thing for us and I think it is easier to develop then to become a better player."

The improvement in Kane has certainly been remarkable and in addition to the confidence with which he's been infused, it's been a testament to his physical capacity. Pochettino advertised the fact that the young striker covered 13kms against Everton in December and it's all been part of the plan.

"As the season has gone on we've got fitter and fitter," said Kane, quoted in the Tottenham & Wood Green Journal. "I feel the fittest I've ever felt and the best shape I've ever been in. The gaffer did a lot of work on getting us fit and it's really starting to work. In pre-season there were double sessions, times when you were pushing yourself to the limit, but you're doing it for a reason. This is the reason that you're seeing now."

As others flag, Tottenham's players are faring rather better. They have made more high-intensity runs than their opponents in every game since the turn of the year and the only team to outrun them in 2015 was Crystal Palace in Alan Pardew's first home game in charge. The summer work is paying off.

"It has been a hard pre-season," Christian Eriksen told The Independent in August, with the Dane also admitting he'd had early nights to cope with it. "There have been double sessions twice a week, when we are training at 10am and then again at 4pm, so it's a long day." But Eriksen has benefited. Only three players have covered more ground than him in this season's Premier League.

Hugo Lloris has also spoken of the "great working mentality in the team" and their desire to do what the manager expects of them. Evidently, Pochettino has the faith of his players but the wider public might still need some convincing given that predecessor Tim Sherwood continues to boast of possessing a superior win percentage in charge of the club.

The way to cement his position is winning silverware and that's precisely what Pochettino has the chance to do against Chelsea in Sunday's Capital One Cup final. The underlying statistics offer encouragement that Tottenham are on the right path. It's the numbers on the Wembley scoreboard that matter now.

http://www.football365.com/f365-says/9735016/F365-Says

Why are people not screaming about how outdated and amature and suicidal 442 is when Poch does it, but Tim was tactically naive for playing it?

So many questions!?!
It's who is in which position, not just the basic formation. But we've had very mixed results with that formation all year, I feel, just because we're not suited to that formation. We don't need a second striker to score goals, we need more runs into the box and smarter shooting from the guys already out there.

I cant say its been a huge success this season when deployed to be honest

Absolutely agree I am 10,000% behind Poch and who he selects each game, based on what he has available, the only problem I have is where he goes to 4-4-2 as it never works, all the movement the triangles the dynamism of the 4-2-3-1 the squad are used to playing now goes instantly

I say instead of throwing on the second striker if neither are wanted or in form throw on dembele for the more defensive of the midfielders and have him 20 yards further forward to be more attacking so kane doesn't drop deep

Also AGAIN I have said this since September this formation works best when full backs go forward, first half yesterday Davies and Vlad were in their half admittedly mixed success but second half didn't leave their half so minimal stuff created

It's who is in which position, not just the basic formation. But we've had very mixed results with that formation all year, I feel, just because we're not suited to that formation. We don't need a second striker to score goals, we need more runs into the box and smarter shooting from the guys already out there.

But people were not complaining about the wrong personel...they were saying 442 is outdated and has no place in modern football and it means we get swamped in midfield.

Why is nobody worried about that now? Im all for 442. I just have no idea why we play a good striker behind a shit one, and refuse to deploy out and out wingplay.

But Im very interested as to why people who slated 442 under Harry and Tim (not for the players in the formation, but for the formation itself being a liability against the modern 5 man midfield) are now fine with playing 442, and have no qualms with it, despite us being toothless and at times, diabolical.

Why is it now ok for Poch to play a piss poor 442, with the wrong players, while a third of the squad have been sent to the naughty corner.

But people were not complaining about the wrong personel...they were saying 442 is outdated and has no place in modern football and it means we get swamped in midfield.

Why is nobody worried about that now? Im all for 442. I just have no idea why we play a good striker behind a shit one, and refuse to deploy out and out wingplay.

But Im very interested as to why people who slated 442 under Harry and Tim (not for the players in the formation, but for the formation itself being a liability against the modern 5 man midfield) are now fine with playing 442, and have no qualms with it, despite us being toothless and at times, diabolical.

Why is it now ok for Poch to play a piss poor 442, with the wrong players, while a third of the squad have been sent to the naughty corner.
Because he doesn't embarrass the club and alienate players through the media. Plus under Sherwood it was very evident we had no direction, yet in half a year under Poch we're starting to look like a good team again, you keep bringing this up and people keep giving you the same answers. Let it go.

Back
Top Bottom