Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well, it's not about just injuries which have occurred. It's also about minutes played and stress on bodies which then creates higher injury risk. If you are worried that some players are on the limit of what their bodies can handle, you'd be better to bench them and play someone else until they've had adequate recovery, so that the injury doesn't happen.

Yeah thats the thing though....rotation is not reflecting that. Mason is one who clearly needs a break. What makes us think that Stambouli and Capoue are suddenly broken?

If we have no injuries, why should we assume that players are unfit?
It's not as black and white as that though, players might be nursing slight knocks and might not be up for a full ninety minutes, do you go with a better player who might not finish a whole game or with a reserve who can?

Maybe someone has spotted something I haven't, but it feels like he doesn't really seem to have a plan B.

A plan B is when you are usually chasing a goal. Having no options up front to rely on other than Kane makes having a plan B difficult.

Switching to 442 etc can be effective, however we just don't have the players to do this.

A summer clear out and a few signings, then we can evaluate his plan B I feel.

Err. At 2-0 he brought soldado and eriksen on for Townsend and mason.

So we had 2 up front (but Kane able to now drift off the last man) and eriksen would drop deeper to pick up the ball whilst also being an option on the edge of the box.
And then we got a draw. Looked like a plan B to me.

It's not as black and white as that though, players might be nursing slight knocks and might not be up for a full ninety minutes, do you go with a better player who might not finish a whole game or with a reserve who can?

True but unless we are told that players are carrying knocks, for weeks and months on end, my first assumption is that they are dropped

For 30 minutes, and looked clueless for 60.

Their manager responded to us. Ours didnt respond to their changes.

What?

Think you'll find he did, and then we were all over them in the last ten/fifteen minutes. Could have (and probably should have) scored more.

I get that Poch is not the supreme being of the universe, and therefore not immune to criticism, but that doesn't make every criticism of him correct, and I'm afraid in this example, you've got it badly wrong.

So we had 2 up front (but Kane able to now drift off the last man) and eriksen would drop deeper to pick up the ball whilst also being an option on the edge of the box.

Exactly! Well said, great post. :adesalute:

What?

Think you'll find he did, and then we were all over them in the last ten/fifteen minutes. Could have (and probably should have) scored more.

I get that Poch is not the supreme being of the universe, and therefore not immune to criticism, but that doesn't make every criticism of him correct, and I'm afraid in this example, you've got it badly wrong.

Are you talking about the Fiorentina game, like I was?

All over them? Dont think so

Do you feel the game changed as a result of Pochettino's subs or was it due to West Ham's performance? We conceded another goal after both Eriksen and Soldado were introduced. They brought on Carlton Cole, who promptly went off injured, resulting in another centreback coming on. This instantly makes them a man light in attack, resorting to us having full control up the pitch for any clearances by West Ham.

Soldado barely touched the ball, as we didn't change the way we played. The shape remained the same, from what I could see, just the personnel. Our draw came as a result of a Danny Rose goal giving the team the belief and a penalty in the 95th minute, which is what any of would have taken once we went two goals down but I don't feel the team were at it on the day, which hopefully is down to players minds being on Fiorentina and the final.

So playing our two best attacking outfield players but not their strengths

It's widely known that Kane is equally adept at playing off a more advanced forward.

And yes I thought it was clever to have eriksen drop a little deeper as he has the most ability at picking out a pass and then ghosting into a dangerous position. It was already congested enough at the point.

He's not beyond reproach though. I dont mind dembele, Townsend or lamela but all of them at once was not good. None of them seemed to have a clue what to do in the final 3rd. Fair play for hooking Dembele at HT. He was at fault for the 1st goal and was generally poor before that. Someone needs to tell him to use his right foot and work on his one and two touch.

Yeah thats the thing though....rotation is not reflecting that. Mason is one who clearly needs a break. What makes us think that Stambouli and Capoue are suddenly broken?
I think Capoue is just properly frozen out. We'd heard rumours about a mutiny, and they'd all named the same 3-4 guys (Adebayor, Kaboul, Capoue and sometimes Lennon). I think that rumour is probably true, given how this season seems to have progressed.

Stambouli, I just don't know. He's looked good on occasion, crap on occasion, and there doesn't seem to be anything physically wrong. Perhaps something personal/non-football is a problem, and the transfer just isn't working out?

I agree the rotation thing needs work, and some guys seem to need a sit down, but I don't know if it's because Pochettino feels he's got no worthwhile substitutes, or what. I would like to see a lot more of Onomah and Winks in some of these games, just to give some guys a rest, and see if they'll be capable of stepping up. I don't think they could be any worse than some of the performances we've seen from others this year.

Do you feel the game changed as a result of Pochettino's subs or was it due to West Ham's performance? We conceded another goal after both Eriksen and Soldado were introduced. They brought on Carlton Cole, who promptly went off injured, resulting in another centreback coming on. This instantly makes them a man light in attack, resorting to us having full control up the pitch for any clearances by West Ham.

Soldado barely touched the ball, as we didn't change the way we played. The shape remained the same, from what I could see, just the personnel. Our draw came as a result of a Danny Rose goal giving the team the belief and a penalty in the 95th minute, which is what any of would have taken once we went two goals down but I don't feel the team were at it on the day, which hopefully is down to players minds being on Fiorentina and the final.
Bit of both.

I think big Sam dropped his first major clanger bringing on Carlton Cole instead of a defensive or midfield player.
I think this was his attempt at trying to prove doubters wrong. Instead of shoring up a 2-0 lead he wanted to show people he was going for a 3rd. I think the commentators even said at the time it was very 'un-allardyce.'
His big fat ego got in the way and we punished him for it.

Bit of both.

I think big Sam dropped his first major clanger bringing on Carlton Cole instead of a defensive or midfield player.
I think this was his attempt at trying to prove doubters wrong. Instead of shoring up a 2-0 lead he wanted to show people he was going for a 3rd. I think the commentators even said at the time it was very 'un-allardyce.'
His big fat ego got in the way and we punished him for it.
It's weird though that the team, in spite of that change, did try to park the bus. They were a lot more passive in the final 25 minutes or so. Perhaps, even if Sam tries to go against his instincts, that team is always going to Fat Sam it up?

We were outstanding with Chadli starting on the left side before he went on bereavement. Why is Poch not starting him? I don't get it.
Chadli was great. Our midfield wasn't. We were leaking fast breaks like a sieve and needed to do something, so the Dembele as 10 came about to try and plug the hole. It worked, sort of, but Dembele being who he is, it doesn't work every time. I agree that Nacer should get more playing time, and I think (Monday Morning Quarterback time) that Lamela should have been the 10, with Chadli at LW and Townsend RW, but really, until we get a decent partner for Bentaleb (either by Mason, Winks or Stambouli stepping up, or us buying Schneiderlin) it will be a theme for the year.

Back
Top Bottom