Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

conte_730.jpg

the stress of the Italian National team really seems to be affecting Conte

It's going to be interesting to see who Poch play's in the next couple of weeks with the Europa league legs, the league cup final and also a pretty crucial game against west ham!

Maybe someone has spotted something I haven't, but it feels like he doesn't really seem to have a plan B. Either that's down to him still learning (he's quite young for a manager) or it's his total faith in the 'system' (God I hate that phrase), still it's quite frustrating to watch something not working and not really see any reaction to it other than bring on a few subs. Soldado barely had a sniff when he came on, it didn't look like any formation change rather Kane dropped deeper and Soldado stayed up, but that wasn't the problem we were having.

When the team are on it, the 'system' works brilliantly. High pressure closing down and quick attacks are a joy to watch, but you feel when the team aren't on it we could do with having a different strategy to soak up some pressure and offer an alternative. However I won't pretend to know what that alternative is.

Maybe someone has spotted something I haven't, but it feels like he doesn't really seem to have a plan B. Either that's down to him still learning (he's quite young for a manager) or it's his total faith in the 'system' (God I hate that phrase), still it's quite frustrating to watch something not working and not really see any reaction to it other than bring on a few subs. Soldado barely had a sniff when he came on, it didn't look like any formation change rather Kane dropped deeper and Soldado stayed up, but that wasn't the problem we were having.

When the team are on it, the 'system' works brilliantly. High pressure closing down and quick attacks are a joy to watch, but you feel when the team aren't on it we could do with having a different strategy to soak up some pressure and offer an alternative. However I won't pretend to know what that alternative is.

Spot on.

Apparentley saying it means you want Poch sacked though, or you are an "idiot" because Poch is a pro manager.

Anyone watching our games can see that by and large, his subs do not improve us, and in a lot of cases, make things worse. His positives out weigh the negatives by 10 to 1, but that doesnt mean I am going to pretend that 1 doesnt exist.

Yesterday was a shambles. How anyone can say the subs were good is beyond me.

Bring on Soldado, and leave him in a position where he couldnt touch the ball? Putting Eriksen in the mix with the same two players who had Dembele lost in translation? Leaving Mason on, and not playing Stambouli?

Just odd.

When Poch arrived he is left with some bodies trainset, so give the man some slack until he gets his own stamp on our club.
Typically we want instant gratification for our money and no modern day manager is afforded time.
I see seeds of change with youth being given a chance, a team that would fold now playing right up to the last second, so let's surport this man to the end COYS

Hindsight is so good. Now if we would have put away all the chances we had in the first half v Fiorentina Poch would have got the team selection and tactics spot on.
I'd say Montella got it wrong.
We absolutely tore them to pieces. It's not his fault that some of the players he has at his disposal cannot/did not finish.
As for yesterday. I would say there may reasons as to why we seem to play better away from home. Our pitch is very narrow and not too long and if a team comes with the intention of defending deep, as a unit, we will always find it hard to break them down and find space. We play a certain way. A way which our fans supposedly demand.
It may have worked if we would have lobbed the ball up as soon as we got it, but we also may have lost possession and conceded ( we lost possession which led to their first with shocking play by Dembele) . I also don't think some would be too happy if we resorted to that tactic as it would be a regular occurrence at home as most teams come to ours and defend deep, deny space.
I don't think we played that bad, they just defended well. They left no space in behind, stopped our full backs getting forward. Our chances were limited but Adrian had to make some decent saves. Bentaleb at the beginning for instance. Now if that would have gone in, Kane's had not hit the post, who knows? Also Rose had a great chance to equalise not long after they scored.

Their game is all about getting crosses in. Andros should have been more alert and tracked Cresswell when Dembele made that bad back pass. Cresswell went with Townsend when he tore off, but Andros watched as Creswell then run back to get the cross over.
In fact in the first half we never stopped them getting crosses over from our right. They had another chance when Andros let Creswell get a cross over. Their second came from a long ball and cross/es. Funnily enough when Lamela was put out on the right, Eriksen to the left and Soldado went in the middle but you could say that Noble's second cross was intended for Valencia who was offside, just went over him and the goal should not have been allowed( I think it should not have stood) or Rose was to slack letting the first cross come over and then not giving a fuck until it was too late.
That free kick they had where Lloris saved from Valencia 3 of them were offside when it was taken including Cresswell who headed it back.

Face it. If they played like they do and were not getting results their fans would be on Sam's back. It's crap football.

As far as team selection goes, we have no clue about the levels of fitness or tiredness of each player so maybe we are being a bit hard on him. He has to work with what he has.

Pochettino did get the tactics spot on with the start of Fiorentina, the difference was Montella made changes and Fiorentina grew into the game as a result. Pochettino didn't change anything, from what I could tell, and as a result we lost any of that early confidence to win the game and never really looked like winning.

Spot on.

Apparentley saying it means you want Poch sacked though, or you are an "idiot" because Poch is a pro manager.

Anyone watching our games can see that by and large, his subs do not improve us, and in a lot of cases, make things worse. His positives out weigh the negatives by 10 to 1, but that doesnt mean I am going to pretend that 1 doesnt exist.

Yesterday was a shambles. How anyone can say the subs were good is beyond me.

Bring on Soldado, and leave him in a position where he couldnt touch the ball? Putting Eriksen in the mix with the same two players who had Dembele lost in translation? Leaving Mason on, and not playing Stambouli?

Just odd.
I think he's hampered by the quality of the squad, and possibly by everyone's fitness levels. If you're focusing on ensuring your best team starts a particular match, and have to navigate 3 matches in short order before that one, then you may have more of an eye on their minutes played than may be ideal.

I agree that the initial line-up and formation wasn't great, and the subs didn't make much difference, but part of that was West Hame doing a good job *shudder* and partly I think it was down to the whole team trying to phone it in in advance of Fiorentina and the Cup Final.

We've seen other games this year where a change by Pochettino has rescued a point or a win, so I guess it all washes out.

He's not brilliant at playing the sub game, but it may be more of a mug's game than we all know. Allardyce completely threw away the game for West Ham with his subs. He took them from a team which pressed us and gave us problems to a team hiding in their own box. And that let us right back into the game.

If we have no injuries, why should we assume that players are unfit?
Well, it's not about just injuries which have occurred. It's also about minutes played and stress on bodies which then creates higher injury risk. If you are worried that some players are on the limit of what their bodies can handle, you'd be better to bench them and play someone else until they've had adequate recovery, so that the injury doesn't happen.

Back
Top Bottom