Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

C'mon, you're being incredibly unfair towards Pochettino for not being a native speaker. He can speak English, quite fluently in fact. Of course he's not to a native level of proficiency, but comparing him to Ramos who would notoriously respond "Que?" is extremely cynical on your part.

Highlight reels could easily be made of Mourinho or Wenger butchering English or sounding awkward in their pronunciations, not to mention a great many other foreign managers that have achieved a great deal in the premier league.

I really don't think that there's any question of his ability to articulate basic points. The problems that we've had have gone on long enough I think for most of us to view with skepticism the pretense that there has been something fundamentally wrong with our recent managers at Spurs. For that matter, I really don't think that Pochettino has yet had a sufficient run in order to impose any sort of style or tactics into the squad for anybody to damn him for the lack of attacking intent or authority, etc.

I just think that you're very far out of line.

I do understand the point your making. However, even his employers ( THFC ) have insisted that he speaks English, why would that be ?

I am happy to state that if he had an interpreter and the performances of the team were of a reasonable level, I would not care a hoot how good his English is. However, At the moment we are paying a lot of money to watch absolute shite from the first team and the defence of performances and the follow up comments are not articulated in anyway that is acceptable as, regretfully, the teams spokesman and leader struggles to get his points across. If he can't get his point out in the media, why are we to consider it easier for him to do so on the training pitch or in tactical sessions ?

I do understand the point your making. However, even his employers ( THFC ) have insisted that he speaks English, why would that be ?

I am happy to state that if he had an interpreter and the performances of the team were of a reasonable level, I would not care a hoot how good his English is. However, At the moment we are paying a lot of money to watch absolute shite from the first team and the defence of performances and the follow up comments are not articulated in anyway that is acceptable as, regretfully, the teams spokesman and leader struggles to get his points across. If he can't get his point out in the media, why are we to consider it easier for him to do so on the training pitch or in tactical sessions ?

I was under the assumption that Pochetinno only stopped using a translator when speaking to the media. No evidence suggests he has removed it when training so we can't make that assumption.

Any manager worth his salt would keep what he says about the players private.
What he says to the media and to the players are too different things.
I am quite happy with 'the performance was not good enough' and 'we must look at where we went wrong and work hard not to repeat it'. I can tell from his expression he gives a shit and no doubt, in private, the players get it.
If you look at the Stoke game, if Harry would have put that header away within the first minute it could have been a different story.
We lost that game because after Diuof got floored by Lloris there was a lull in the game. Up until then we were doing ok. We started brightly. Then whilst waiting for the game to restart we went to sleep and Bojan ran through us. We simply were not ready.
Just as in the Newcastle game.
We need to continue to put teams under pressure at home, and when we get the first, kill the team off with another. Concentrate for the whole game and be alert at restarts and stop gifting goals.

Any manager worth his salt would keep what he says about the players private.
What he says to the media and to the players are too different things.
I am quite happy with 'the performance was not good enough' and 'we must look at where we went wrong and work hard not to repeat it'. I can tell from his expression he gives a shit and no doubt, in private, the players get it.
If you look at the Stoke game, if Harry would have put that header away within the first minute it could have been a different story.
We lost that game because after Diuof got floored by Lloris there was a lull in the game. Up until then we were doing ok. We started brightly. Then whilst waiting for the game to restart we went to sleep and Bojan ran through us. We simply were not ready.
Just as in the Newcastle game.
We need to continue to put teams under pressure at home, and when we get the first, kill the team off with another. Concentrate for the whole game and be alert at restarts and stop gifting goals.

Agree. Sherwood's biggest problem was his flappy chops, honest or not, so I'm happy we're out of the spotlight and it wouldn't surprise me if some managers feign poor english so as to just bluff the whole compulsory interview thing.

I was under the assumption that Pochetinno only stopped using a translator when speaking to the media. No evidence suggests he has removed it when training so we can't make that assumption.
You are making the assumption one was used during training at Soton. He didn't use one, for the most part. Initially he did, but his English was good enough that it wasn't necessary. He actually pretended to speak less English than he does when with the media to keep them at a distance and push the focus onto other teams.

His level of English isn't the problem, it's the actually squad he's inherited.

You are making the assumption one was used during training at Soton. He didn't use one, for the most part. Initially he did, but his English was good enough that it wasn't necessary. He actually pretended to speak less English than he does when with the media to keep them at a distance and push the focus onto other teams.

His level of English isn't the problem, it's the actually squad he's inherited.

Didn't mean to imply that. I was under the same impression as you.

Agree. Sherwood's biggest problem was his flappy chops, honest or not, so I'm happy we're out of the spotlight and it wouldn't surprise me if some managers feign poor english so as to just bluff the whole compulsory interview thing.
Absolutely. If you can't pull a Fergie, it's the best approach.

Why all this fuss about the mans language skills.

To me he is a truly talented public speaker and gives tremendous interviews. He proves his clarity of mind and willingness to be frank endlessly by starting every sentence with: "Well, this is fuutball.."

I had no idea..

http://www.tottenhamjournal.co.uk/s...ce_between_a_head_coach_and_manager_1_3861711

Worrying sounds coming from Poch here. Reading between the lines I'd say he's not particular impressed by his lack of influence on club decisions. Hopefully it's not as bad as it comes off. The main concern here is whether he will actually get a chance to bring in players he wants and let go players he doesn't.

Maybe it's a reference to Baldini being involved.

I'm not sure which one of them I'd actually trust to sign players (based on previous form)...

So here comes the latest ITK... Don't shoot the messenger, just thought some might find it an interesting read, if nothing else. It's taken from Reddit, which I imagine got it from the usual sources over at SpursCommunity.

"Hot off the press from the warty one:

First time that DL has backed a manager against senior players. We're in terra incognita.

This has had a very positive impact on MP and the squad. Training has been much improved as those who weren't putting in the effort are now doing so, as they know they do not have support from anyone in the leadership hierarchy. MP has promised his players that if they give him 100%, the team will have success.

Since the events of last week Lennon has been working hard. He doesn't want to leave. He wants to prove he is worth keeping.

DL very bluntly told Adebayor that he's had enough of his negative influence, and if he doesn't support MPs vision then he'll be treated the same way as BAE. This has rattled Adebayor as he'd come to think of himself as untouchable.

MP is significantly impressed with the skills and the attitude of some of our U21 players and is looking for opportunities to move them into the first team squad, which would allow promotion of talented youth team players to the U21s. This plan depends on moving on some unwanted players in the January window. If we can't then he'd prefer they were playing regularly for the U21 and youth teams than being too far down the pecking order in the first team squad."

So here comes the latest ITK... Don't shoot the messenger, just thought some might find it an interesting read, if nothing else. It's taken from Reddit, which I imagine got it from the usual sources over at SpursCommunity.

Essentially, we would benefit from Sherwood taking up a role in an overseas team who who be appeal & be able to afford Adebayor, if he's being counter-productive.

tbh though that's how it should be, depending on our academy for most of our talent

only going into the transfer market for real quality

it seems we are close to being able to almost fully depend on our youth system for 1st team players which would be a massive accomplishment and something to be truely proud of in this day and age of money wasting wankery

if the youngsters around the world see a direct route from our academy to the EPL they'll be queing up to come play for us and we'll get the cream of the crop

Back
Top Bottom