Paulinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't think it's either or. I'd love to see a fit Dembele and Mason playing together.
I think Capoue is a much better player than Dembele is. I used to really like Dembele until I started watching him closely. He has all the skills you want in a player but he just doesn't utilize them. He rarely shoots even though he has a cannon, he rarely takes players on around the box even though he is an amazing dribbler, and he rarely passes forward and incisively even though he's a pretty good passer. He's been around long enough where I don't think he'll change. If we could get 15-20 million for him I'd take it. I'd get rid of Paulinho for even less.

With Capoue, Mason, Benteleb, and Stambouli I think we're set at the CM position. It may not seem like a group of allstars but all are solid defensively, are willing to make forward passes through the defense instead of passing sideways, and are good on the ball. That's all I really can ask of my mids when they play in a double pivot.

I think Capoue is a much better player than Dembele is. I used to really like Dembele until I started watching him closely. He has all the skills you want in a player but he just doesn't utilize them. He rarely shoots even though he has a cannon, he rarely takes players on around the box even though he is an amazing dribbler, and he rarely passes forward and incisively even though he's a pretty good passer. He's been around long enough where I don't think he'll change. If we could get 15-20 million for him I'd take it. I'd get rid of Paulinho for even less.

With Capoue, Mason, Benteleb, and Stambouli I think we're set at the CM position. It may not seem like a group of allstars but all are solid defensively, are willing to make forward passes through the defense instead of passing sideways, and are good on the ball. That's all I really can ask of my mids when they play in a double pivot.

Currently capoue is better than Dembele. But a fit Dembele will give any midfield in the prem a nightmare. Like I said, it's not either or when it comes to our midfielders.

We have 5 midfield spots and a long season with lots of competitions.

I think we would struggle to get 10 million for either Paulinho or Dembele. Any club would surely look at the fact that Dembele hardly ever lasts 90 minutes for either Spurs or Belgium and be put off. Personally I would prefer to stick with Paulinho because he hasn't been given the chances that Dembele has.
I would do the opposite, just because I feel that Paulinho doesn't do anything for us in midfield. We don't need the stuff he does well, but do need someone who can work in a double pivot to smash the opposition and get the ball forward quickly.

I realize Dembele lacks the tempo for the latter, but he can pass, and create attacking movements. Paulinho doesn't, and it's a problem for the team because he doesn't do anything else well enough to make up for not doing that.

Probably not 20 but I could see us getting 15 for him if they right team is in need. We got him for 15 so I can't imagine Levy selling for anything less than that.
I can't see it, given his injury record i dont think we'd get more than £8m, and i think because of that, we're probably better off keeping him.

Seeing as Dembele doesn't seem to be kicking up a fuss about being down in the pecking order, he's a pretty decent option to have on the bench so I don't know why we're so keen to rid him from the squad.

I think we would struggle to get 10 million for either Paulinho or Dembele. Any club would surely look at the fact that Dembele hardly ever lasts 90 minutes for either Spurs or Belgium and be put off. Personally I would prefer to stick with Paulinho because he hasn't been given the chances that Dembele has.

I am the opposite. Would prefer to stick by Dembele as we have seen the quality he offers.

In our EL game in Serbia I saw Paulinho make a great run into space and if given the ball by Townsend would have been through on goal. Yet Townsend ended up passing square to Davies.
347i8ap.jpg

He was also free on the edge of the 18 yard box at a throw in, but Naughton threw it to a marked player.
2yll3lc.jpg

There have been many of those examples.
I do agree he does waste a lot of good chances with poor finishing, but he is not a terrible player. He played loads of football before he joined us, practically a season's worth. I think what he needs most of all is a rest.
However, I also felt when MP got the job that Paulinho ( along with Moussa) would struggle to fit into MP's style.
I believe that Paulinho (along with Moussa) is not the type of DM or Box to Box midfielder that MP wants playing in front of the back 4.
That's not to say he will not play a part. He has the ability, has the capacity to adapt and there is no doubting he has the quality. He just needs to be consistent, work hard and earn his chance. His chance in the EPL will come sooner or later and I hope he takes it. It's good for the club to have the competition. I hope MP can improve him and make him improve his finishing and his all round game, making him a better player than we got.
Last year Bobby had a lot on his plate besides football. We don't know what's happening with Paulinho. Every player goes through a bad patch at some time in their career due to different circumstances.
Let's not write him off just yet. Encourage him when he does play, urge him to do well. Not hope he fails at the expense of the team just so you can prove you were right.
One thing I hate is those fickle mugs who when a pass goes astray don't shout 'unlucky, get your head up' or any other shouts of encouragement, but instead collectively moan. That really does not help and is not conducive to productivity from the player/s. I'd like to see any of those fat, unfit wankers who do that actually play. If they could they wouldn't be beered up fucking watching.
That's probably why we play better away from home as they are all shit scared of making the slightest error as if they do the negativity from the close proximity stands wafts over the pitch and infects the team.
What the fuck has happened. Did our support turn fickle overnight.

I don't think certain players should be in the team. I question whether we should keep others. That's the prerogative of a fan. In reality, what do I know? If I knew how to pick and coach a winning team I'd be a manager. I am not.
However, when the do play I want them to do well. They are part of the team.

Last edited:
In our EL game in Serbia I saw Paulinho make a great run into space and if given the ball by Townsend would have been through on goal. Yet Townsend ended up passing square to Davies.
347i8ap.jpg

He was also free on the edge of the 18 yard box at a throw in, but Naughton threw it to a marked player.
2yll3lc.jpg

There have been many of those examples.
I do agree he does waste a lot of good chances with poor finishing, but he is not a terrible player. He played loads of football before he joined us, practically a season's worth. I think what he needs most of all is a rest.
However, I also felt when MP got the job that Paulinho ( along with Moussa) would struggle to fit into MP's style.
I believe that Paulinho (along with Moussa) is not the type of DM or Box to Box midfielder that MP wants playing in front of the back 4.
That's not to say he will not play a part. He has the ability, has the capacity to adapt and there is no doubting he has the quality. He just needs to be consistent, work hard and earn his chance. His chance in the EPL will come sooner or later and I hope he takes it. It's good for the club to have the competition. I hope MP can improve him and make him improve his finishing and his all round game, making him a better player than we got.
Last year Bobby had a lot on his plate besides football. We don't know what's happening with Paulinho. Every player goes through a bad patch at some time in their career due to different circumstances.
Let's not write him off just yet. Encourage him when he does play, urge him to do well. Not hope he fails at the expense of the team just so you can prove you were right.
One thing I hate is those fickle mugs who when a pass goes astray don't shout 'unlucky, get your head up' or any other shouts of encouragement, but instead collectively moan. That really does not help and is not conducive to productivity from the player/s. I'd like to see any of those fat, unfit wankers who do that actually play. If they could they wouldn't be beered up fucking watching.
That's probably why we play better away from home as they are all shit scared of making the slightest error as if they do the negativity from the close proximity stands wafts over the pitch and infects the team.
What the fuck has happened. Did our support turn fickle overnight.

I don't think certain players should be in the team. I question whether we should keep others. That's the prerogative of a fan. In reality, what do I know? If I knew how to pick and coach a winning team I'd be a manager. I am not.
However, when the do play I want them to do well. They are part of the team.
I'm a bit fed up with hearing that poor performances and decisions are down to the WHL support moaning and groaning.

Believe me, this used to happen in the 80s if we had a bad game and way before then. We've always loved a moan at the Lane as anyone who remembers the collective groan when John Pratt got the ball will testify.

You'd never meet a more negative, moaning Spurs fan than my Grandad - season ticket holder for 50 years or more, mates with Bill Nich and used to complain that the Double side were crap and it was better when we were 2nd division. His father-in-law used to preach about the amateur days and how much better they were. He was at the 1901 cup final.

You might be right about Paulinho needing a rest but he was pretty ropy at the World Cup and wasn't surrounded by 36,000 miserable Spurs fans there.

Like you, I'll always support the shirt and whoever's wearing it (unless we sign any proper bastards like Suarez).

I just don't think it's unreasonable to expect better performances, more consistently from people like Paulinho and Dembele.

I'm a bit fed up with hearing that poor performances and decisions are down to the WHL support moaning and groaning.

Believe me, this used to happen in the 80s if we had a bad game and way before then. We've always loved a moan at the Lane as anyone who remembers the collective groan when John Pratt got the ball will testify.

You'd never meet a more negative, moaning Spurs fan than my Grandad - season ticket holder for 50 years or more, mates with Bill Nich and used to complain that the Double side were crap and it was better when we were 2nd division. His father-in-law used to preach about the amateur days and how much better they were. He was at the 1901 cup final.

You might be right about Paulinho needing a rest but he was pretty ropy at the World Cup and wasn't surrounded by 36,000 miserable Spurs fans there.

Like you, I'll always support the shirt and whoever's wearing it (unless we sign any proper bastards like Suarez).

I just don't think it's unreasonable to expect better performances, more consistently from people like Paulinho and Dembele.

I think it's unreasonable to to say his or Dembeles performances are poor since neither have hardly played.

Dembele has been nursing a calf injury btw.

Back
Top Bottom