Paul Mitchell resigns

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think what we wanted was the "system" from Southampton, e.g. database structure, software and process. Maybe Mitchell´s main role was to help us build and implement such a system and now that it has been designed and implemented his value is greater elsewhere ?
True.

I can understand people are worried he might take knowledge of our e.g. academy (who are doing historically well), which is a perfectly sound concern.

BUT if PM is really as good as assumed, then we might have learned a thing or two from him as well, which means that the damage may be minimal (even if Poch is not amused).

Also, Poch hasn't said whether he was dissappointed with the club OR with PM himself. The latter may well be the case, since he went public.

The bloke is deluded if he thought we were ever going to match wages with Chelsea.....30% above our max budget for a player who isn't even really a full international

Tottenham recruitment chief Paul Mitchell grew disillusioned with club's transfer business after missing out on Michy Batshuayi to Chelsea
facebookShareButton.png

twitterShareButton.png

emailShareButton.png

blank.gif

batman2407.jpg

Former target: Michy Batshuayi joined Chelsea earlier this summer (Srdjan Stevanovic/Getty Images)

Paul Mitchell will leave Tottenham amid claims he had become frustrated with the club’s transfer policy.

The head of recruitment and analysis is under contract until the end of 2017, although it is highly unlikely he will remain that long. As it stands, Mitchell will see out this transfer window and then there are expected to be further discussions.

Leicester, who lost their recruitment chief Steve Walsh to Everton, are thought to be following the situation closely and if Mitchell sees out his contract, it will create a potentially awkward situation if he is targeted by other clubs.

Standard Sport understands Mitchell, an ally of manager Mauricio Pochettino from their Southampton days, had grown disillusioned at the way, at times, transfer business is conducted at Tottenham.

READ MORE
Tottenham head of recruitment Paul Mitchell resigns

READ MORE
It is thought he believed Michy Batshuayi, the Belgium forward he watched extensively, was ready to join Spurs from Marseille - only for Chelsea to sign him for £33million on a five-year contract worth about £125,000 per week.

In Tottenham’s current wage structure, the best-paid players are in the £75,000-£80,000-a-week bracket.

Mitchell was also an advocate of Lille forward Sofiane Boufal. He is believed to have pushed for Victor Wanyama - who joined Tottenham this summer - to be bought in the summer of 2015, when Spurs did not conclude a deal with Southampton, who ultimately refused to sell.

On Mitchell’s watch, Dele Alli joined Tottenham from MK Dons but David Pleat, the former Tottenham manager, had far more influence in that January 2015 deal than Mitchell did.

Kevin Wimmer was recommended by Mitchell and has earned a new contract but two other players in the 2015 intake, Heung-Min Son and Clinton Njie, may be sold after just one year in north London.

scaletowidth

On the club’s website, chairman Daniel Levy said: “Mitch has been with us for two years and has created a well staffed department and run our recruitment processes for the past two years. We understand and respect his wish to consider new avenues.”

Mitchell added: “I have enjoyed my time at the club and it will continue to be my sole focus until I move on to new challenges.”

22h
Tottenham Hotspur

✔@SpursOfficial

Daniel: “I know that, whilst most of our business has been completed, Mitch is keen to ensure we start the season in the best position.”

Follow
Tottenham Hotspur

✔@SpursOfficial

Paul Mitchell: "I’ve greatly enjoyed my time at #THFC & it’ll continue to be my sole focus until such time as I move on to new challenges."

Mitchell’s decision has come as a surprise to many at Spurs, who are negotiating contracts with a number of key players.

Eric Dier is poised to sign new terms worth about £45,000 a week, while talks are ongoing with Christian Eriksen, Hugo Lloris and Jan Vertonghen
That's what I said. How the fuck did he get on at Southampton if he couldn't sign players for £30m+ and pay them £100k a week+?
He was brought here because we need to be identifying talent that is in the 5-20m price range. Because of his success at Saints. we won't be spending massively like that and he knew about the financial situation & wage structure when he came here. How much did we say was earmarked for transfers then £150m?
It must be all bollocks. If Chelsea, Man U or City want a player you have identified and are willing to pay more in both fee and wages then forget it.

Lyall ITK Thomas seems to think all is not okay behind the scenes regarding Mitchell leaving...

LCFC have lost MacKenzie to us, Wrigglesworth to Woolwich and now Walsh to Everton. Why no rumours of interference from Vichai or fallouts with Ranieri?

If we sign 2/3 players before the end of the window with good quality then this becomes a non issue. If not then I believe it would represent a bit of a problem with perceptions of Pochettino not being backed being one of them.

Just being very obvious but the combined fees for Pritchard and Townsend has brought in 24 million. The cost of Janssen.

If just signing Wanyama is a sign of the manager being backed I think I would be rightly miffed.

Levy needs to erase the thought that Mitchell leaving was anything more than just a desire of the guy to go elsewhere.

That's what I said. How the fuck did he get on at Southampton if he couldn't sign players for £30m+ and pay them £100k a week+?
He was brought here because we need to be identifying talent that is in the 5-20m price range. Because of his success at Saints. we won't be spending massively like that and he knew about the financial situation & wage structure when he came here. How much did we say was earmarked for transfers then £150m?
It must be all bollocks. If Chelsea, Man U or City want a player you have identified and are willing to pay more in both fee and wages then forget it.

Fuck Paul Mitchell and his shampoo.

If we sign 2/3 players before the end of the window with good quality then this becomes a non issue. If not then I believe it would represent a bit of a problem with perceptions of Pochettino not being backed being one of them.

Just being very obvious but the combined fees for Pritchard and Townsend has brought in 24 million. The cost of Janssen.

If just signing Wanyama is a sign of the manager being backed I think I would be rightly miffed.

Levy needs to erase the thought that Mitchell leaving was anything more than just a desire of the guy to go elsewhere.

Spending money to prove a point is fucking pointless.

We have a very solid team and we have improved it very well so far. You only need to spend big if you have big problems, something which we don't have in our team.

LCFC have lost MacKenzie to us, Wrigglesworth to Woolwich and now Walsh to Everton. Why no rumours of interference from Vichai or fallouts with Ranieri?

No story to be had in, man resigns from job due to better job offer elsewhere. I suspect Mitchell wanted a reason to leave as he may or may not have a better offer. However Levy being the shrewd operator is making him work his notice/gardening leave.

I felt Sky tried to play up Pochettino's disappointment, when all he said was he was disappointed he was leaving due to personal reasons.

Spending money to prove a point is fucking pointless.

We have a very solid team and we have improved it very well so far. You only need to spend big if you have big problems, something which we don't have in our team.

Get your point but we need 2 or 3 players.

There is no point having 13 or 14 players of quality when you have our aspirations. That was evident last season towards the back end and after that draining Europa.

So I disagree and refuse to see it through Spurs tinted glasses.

Lyall's/Sky's source seems quite miffed at all these developments, but also seems to have been increasingly inaccurate about what we were doing as the summer has gone on. Almost like they came to be out of the picture after a certain point.

I wonder if it concided with someone else becoming manager instead of head coach?

Back
Top Bottom