Paul Gascoigne

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think Gazza's imminent demise is a lot more likely that The Sun losing its readership 'cos of a few online polls!

The Sun has ALWAYS been gutter press... but it's still going, 'cos unfortunately, there will ALWAYS be a gutter readership!

The worrying thing is how much influence The Sun actually has over it's readership. The sooner it goes away the better, deceitful rag dressed up as light hearted comedy.

Heartbreaking. One of the finest footballers England has produced. Every time there is a new post in this thread, I expect to see an obituary. It really shouldn't be like this for him. He is beyond repair by the sound of it (refused to look at the link) but I will keep hoping that he can find peace in this life rather than the next.

C'mon Gazza.

:walker-scream:

Sadly.... not only do I fear the End is nigh for Paul Gascoigne... I think it would relieve him of the agony that has now become his life.

So very sad. He will always be a Tottenham legend, and as such I will shed genuine tears as and when...

But as a human being with a terrible illness/addiction, he is tragically beyond repair.

The worrying thing is how much influence The Sun actually has over it's readership. The sooner it goes away the better, deceitful rag dressed up as light hearted comedy.
Agree, them pictures are a disgrace, how about helping him rather than following him around falling out of taxi's, Sun=Scum

Sadly.... not only do I fear the End is nigh for Paul Gascoigne... I think it would relieve him of the agony that has now become his life.

So very sad. He will always be a Tottenham legend, and as such I will shed genuine tears as and when...

But as a human being with a terrible illness/addiction, he is tragically beyond repair.

Clearly he has been affected all his life, yet during his playing days we all laughed it off as 'mad as box of frogs' bants. A very flawed genius whose behaviour was actively encouraged in the acts of having fun times. The likes of Chris Evans and Danny Baker egging him on. They and many others are culpable for turning him into the wreck he is today. Makes you realise that Jimmy 'Five Bellies' was probably his only real friend that tried to look after him, even if Gazza was a bit of a shit towards him by constantly pranking him.

Everyone should have known how Tony Blair would turn out when the scum backed him. That's the power of the scum. The power to win elections.
Bought and read by working class people who are so brainwashed that they don't realise they are being kept in place by the rag they methodically purchase along with their fags.

Listen to me troll. I've struggled with mental health issues myself following traumatic events in my life. Do you honestly think I posted a link to the Sun article with the express intention to contributing to Gazza's plight? It was quite obvious I was being critical of the media and well intention.

So do you think that?

Last edited:
Heartbreaking. One of the finest footballers England has produced. Every time there is a new post in this thread, I expect to see an obituary. It really shouldn't be like this for him. He is beyond repair by the sound of it (refused to look at the link) but I will keep hoping that he can find peace in this life rather than the next.

C'mon Gazza.

:walker-scream:
He's in a vicious circle. He's mentally vulnerable. It's clear his family don't understand or don't care. His lifestyle doesn't afford close friendships or romance. He's obviously not worldy wise. He nonetheless tries and as soon as he gets up and about he's then forced to play the celebrity game to earn some money, which in turns keeps the press on his tail. The press hounding inevitably impacts his mental health and he goes back to the bottle. I'd also add that this recent, farcical prosecution for a supposed hate crime doesn't help either - which is probably why he's gone off the rails again.

Alcoholics can only get better when they want it enough. I just don't think he's in a position where he can makethat choice for himself.

Really struggling with this, he's had so much help and all it seems to do is postpone the inevitable, really feel for the guy and from what I'm seeing in other places people are seeing him now as a joke rather than the illness it is

I think he needs a purpose / a reason to get up every day and do something positive rather than help though......the help in terms of paying for rehab or rallying around when's rock bottom is fine and commendable, but then he just seems to get left by himself again until the next time it all falls apart.

He's in a vicious circle. He's mentally vulnerable. It's clear his family don't understand or don't care. His lifestyle doesn't afford close friendships or romance. He's obviously not worldy wise. He nonetheless tries and as soon as he gets up and about he's then forced to play the celebrity game to earn some money, which in turns keeps the press on his tail. The press hounding inevitably impacts his mental health and he goes back to the bottle. I'd also add that this recent, farcical prosecution for a supposed hate crime doesn't help either - which is probably why he's gone off the rails again.

Alcoholics can only get better when they want it enough. I just don't think he's in a position where he can makethat choice for himself.

Problem is he has always been badly advised. He probably should have gone to Utd when Ferguson wanted him before Scholar got him for us. At least you would have thought Fergie could have reined his character in. He needed a strong father figure to give him guidance. Not sure if Venables was as disciplined with him.

Problem is he has always been badly advised. He probably should have gone to Utd when Ferguson wanted him before Scholar got him for us. At least you would have thought Fergie could have reined his character in. He needed a strong father figure to give him guidance. Not sure if Venables was as disciplined with him.
To be honest, I think his problems far exceed any football choices he made.

Sadly it's a case of "When" not "if" now...
But be certain that EVERY sad detail will be played out by the gutter media and online alike...

He's surely run out of chances to ever get better??

Poor poor soul.

I think he needs a purpose / a reason to get up every day and do something positive rather than help though......the help in terms of paying for rehab or rallying around when's rock bottom is fine and commendable, but then he just seems to get left by himself again until the next time it all falls apart.
The thing that really does me is the guy taking the photo, working for the tabloids and just accept u have lost ur humanity?
Maybe I/we feel more connected as he was Spurs but I can't for the life of me imagine seeing this and not rushing to give him a hand covering up and to try and talk to him even if it proves pointless in the end, to stand there and think 'this will make a good picture' is the saddest part of it all.

In terms of getting help/rehab - someone I work with has a daughter who is afflicted in a similar way and has openly admitted she doesn't care how bad it gets because her dad will always be there when she needs him, a really long and shitty story but gazza also probably deep down inside knows he can get help tomorrow if he wanted and I do wonder if that's part of the problem

I think this is a bit of a myth - Ferguson wasn't able to Lee Sharpe going off the rails at around the same time.

I think this is a bit of a myth - Ferguson wasn't able to Lee Sharpe going off the rails at around the same time.

That is true, although Sharpe whilst just a young man enjoying the trappings afforded to him then didn't seem to as off the rails. We used to see Gazza doing some really silly things and we all thought they were funny.

The poor man needs help, just a shame as Smoked Salmon Smoked Salmon has said there is no one there to guide him as he clearly isn't able to help himself.

Gazza is an addict/alcoholic. It wouldn't have mattered if Ferguson would have been his manager or not.
In fact I think anyone trying to 'rein' him in would probably have had a worse effect.
He has an addictive personality. He wants to be loved but he doesn't love himself. He no longer gets his buzz from football/fishing but from a bottle and painkillers.
It's a shame but only Gazza can help himself. In fact it may sound horrible but the best thing is for him to be left to his own devices. The more people help him out, i.e., giving him stuff/jobs out of sympathy the more they are enabling him. He needs to hit his own rock bottom, realise he has nobody to help him, nobody to give him a few quid, nowhere to live and then maybe he will have enough.
Then when he comes for help, help him with a re hab. Hopefully he will then see a treatment stint through. 2-6 weeks in a rehab is not enough. He needs at least 18 month.
Unfortunately some people just don't get it and end up dead. There is nothing you can do about it, i.e., Best.
Hopefully Gazza hits his bottom and has enough.
Of course the scum are not going to help embarrassing the man with pseudo sympathy. That will cause him to hurt more. When he asks someone to get him a drink they should say 'fuck off Paul, if you want to top yourself I ain't helping you. I happen to like you, and probably more than you like yourself.'
Shame on the cunts that enable him

That is true, although Sharpe whilst just a young man enjoying the trappings afforded to him then didn't seem to as off the rails. We used to see Gazza doing some really silly things and we all thought they were funny.

The poor man needs help, just a shame as Smoked Salmon Smoked Salmon has said there is no one there to guide him as he clearly isn't able to help himself.
I think there are plenty of people who are willing to guide him. He just ain't as yet willing to be guided in that direction.

Back
Top Bottom