Paul Gascoigne

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Don't know what to make of this...

Paul Gascoigne has revealed that Woolwich have contributed a total of £50,000 to his healthcare costs.

But their north London rivals and Gazza’s former club Spurs demanded £60 for two tickets to watch them in action.

Gascoigne says the Gunners secretly paid for treatment for suspected pneumonia and hip treatment after manager Arsene Wenger persoanlly sanctioned payments to held the ailing star.

The England great told The Sun: “I rang up [Woolwich] physio Gary Lewin and told him I wasn’t feeling great.

“He said to go to hospital as he feared it was pneumonia. Wenger then agreed to arrange £28,000 to pay for treatment. Woolwich also paid £22,000 when I had hip treatment.

“I wanted to watch Spurs against Real Madrid and got told they only had two tickets for £60.

“I’d have to watch from under the directors’ box with some players who played 30 years before me.”

I was all typical fucking Spurs....then I read the last sentence...Now I'm trying to imagine the shame of having to sit with a few club legends...

Don't know what to make of this...

Paul Gascoigne has revealed that Woolwich have contributed a total of £50,000 to his healthcare costs.

But their north London rivals and Gazza’s former club Spurs demanded £60 for two tickets to watch them in action.

Gascoigne says the Gunners secretly paid for treatment for suspected pneumonia and hip treatment after manager Arsene Wenger persoanlly sanctioned payments to held the ailing star.

The England great told The Sun: “I rang up [Woolwich] physio Gary Lewin and told him I wasn’t feeling great.

“He said to go to hospital as he feared it was pneumonia. Wenger then agreed to arrange £28,000 to pay for treatment. Woolwich also paid £22,000 when I had hip treatment.

“I wanted to watch Spurs against Real Madrid and got told they only had two tickets for £60.

“I’d have to watch from under the directors’ box with some players who played 30 years before me.”

I was all typical fucking Spurs....then I read the last sentence...Now I'm trying to imagine the shame of having to sit with a few club legends...

I wonder how the entire interview panned out though?
Fair play to the gooners.

No mention of this though:
NORTH-EAST football legend Paul Gascoigne is being supported by his former club Tottenham, after it was reported he had been placed on an emergency three-day detox.

Medics sectioned the 47-year-old Tyneside-born former England and Newcastle footballer under the Mental Health Act at 3am on Friday after a drinking binge, according to The Sun newspaper.

A spokesman for Spurs said: "We are aware of the situation with Paul and continue to offer our support."

His close friend and former Tottenham team-mate Gary Mabbutt said: "Paul hasn't been well for the past couple of weeks, he wants to get better and he's asked for help. He is being looked after very well - he has got a lot of support around him."

Mabbutt said he could not confirm the report that Gascoigne had been sectioned.

The newspaper reported that police were called to Gascoigne's home in Dorset, at about 3.30pm on Thursday. Officers were with him when he went to hospital early on Friday.

It quoted a source as saying: "Paul arrived at hospital at about 3am surrounded by police and doctors. He was not in a good state and they were really worried about him. He had been medically assessed during the afternoon before and was deemed to be okay.

"Then something obviously happened. He was put on a three-day detox."

Police had no comment about the incident.

The Spurs spokesman said later: "The best thing for Paul now is to be left to deal with his issues and for everyone to respect his need for privacy."

THFC have been supporting him for years. Its not like arse gave him 50 grand after he asked us for medical treatment and we said "No, fuck off, and you owe us 60 quid for the Madrid game"

Loved him as a player but sadly he's losing his marbles.

Lost count the amount of times he's been in rehab that's been paid for by Spurs, the ex players association and various mates like Lineker, Mabbsy and Venables.

Fair play to the Goons if they did throw some money in the pot, but given Gazza's recent state, I'd take with a pinch of salt.

I don't think Gazza was attempting to suggest that Woolwich helped him and Spurs snubbed him. His comments have just been lined up in the article to make it look that way.

Turns out it was the fucking Sun being cunts...
(Reuters) - Former England midfielder Paul Gascoigne has thanked his ex-Tottenham Hotspur captain Gary Mabbutt and the club and for helping to fund his treatment for alcohol-related problems.

Gascoigne, 47, was quoted in The Sun newspaper on Monday as saying Tottenham's local Premier League rivals Woolwich had in the past paid 50,000 pounds towards his medical care.

But he told Reuters on Monday that Spurs, who he played for from 1988 to 1992, winning the FA Cup in 1991 when he was famously injured in the final, had also always been supportive and helped cover his medical bills for years.

"I want to correct comments quoted in The Sun this morning – I have ended up thanking the wrong people and causing upset – never my intention," he said.

"The ones who have funded my treatment over many years and have always been there for me are Tottenham Hotspur and their Tribute Trust."

Gascoigne, who won 57 caps and helped England reach the World Cup semi-finals in 1990, was also quoted in The Sun saying he was snubbed by Spurs when he wanted tickets to watch their Champions League quarter-final against Real Madrid in 2011.

However, he told Reuters that through his friend Mabbutt Spurs always provided him with match tickets at White Hart Lane.

"It has also always been the case that whenever I have needed tickets I have spoken to my skipper Gary Mabbutt and Tottenham have always sorted it out for me, so I want to correct that too," he told Reuters.

"I want to make sure that Spurs and their fans know that I recognise that they have always been there for me."

A Tottenham spokesman, while saying the club consider Gascoigne's views to be a private matter, added: "The one person who should be recognised for his tireless support and work on behalf of Paul is our club ambassador Gary Mabbutt.

"Gary is Paul’s first port of call when he is in need of urgent assistance, with Gary often travelling hundreds of miles to help his ex team mate and arrange treatment funded by Spurs, the PFA (Professional Footballers' Association) and the FA."

As for Gazza. Sadly, you cannot help anybody who doesn't want to help themself. How many more chances does he want?
Shall everyone go on enabling him, so called fans buying him drinks for stories, then his mates paying his rehab and medical bills for him just to throw it all back in their faces with another relapse?
Boredom an excuse for a relapse? Get real Paul.
What happened to the fishing? Why can't he find a way to occupy his time constructively? Surely if he's being given large sums of money someone can hook him up with something to keep him occupied?
Then you have the press saying he looks well when he looks like a fucking train wreck.
He's got a problem, he's an alcoholic/addict. Alcoholics/Addicts need to stop using one day at a time.
Go to AA/NA and stick with the fucking programme if you want to live.
All that rehab, he knows what he needs to do.
I feel for the bloke, it's so fucking sad. However, his true friends need to show him some tough fucking love.
I feel the man will die, simply because he didn't like himself, or help himself, as much as everyone else did. That will be the tragedy.
Good luck Paul stop talking the talk and walk the fucking walk.

As for Gazza. Sadly, you cannot help anybody who doesn't want to help themself. How many more chances does he want?
Shall everyone go on enabling him, so called fans buying him drinks for stories, then his mates paying his rehab and medical bills for him just to throw it all back in their faces with another relapse?
What happened to the fishing? Why can't he find a way to occupy his time constructively? Surely if he's being given large sums of money someone can hook him up with something to keep him occupied?
Then you have the press saying he looks well when he looks like a fucking train wreck.
He's got a problem, he's an alcoholic/addict. Alcoholics/Addicts need to stop using one day at a time.
I feel for the bloke, it's so fucking sad. However, his true friends need to show him some tough fucking love.
I feel the man will die, simply because he didn't like himself, or help himself, as much as everyone else did. That will be the tragedy.
Its a mental illness. He's not doing it on purpose.

Sounds like a piece of piss. No idea why he hasn't done this already.

It really upsets me to see one of the best players to ever wear the Spurs shirt look so troubled... I hope he can turn his life around but I'm starting to doubt he will now, in all honesty, which is really sad.

I fucking loved Gazza - a true legend on and off the pitch.

Hardcore alcoholics like Gazza very rarely kick the habit for more than a year, something like 20% of them. Gazza is in some ways luckier than most that he has help and support, but also is unluckier that everything he has ever done/ ever does is all over the media. Its tragic, but I don't think he will ever recover. It is an absolute disgrace that these vultures in the media follow him around taking pictures of what he is buying in the shop.
I hear that George Best made it a year without drinking after the liver transplant, so went out to have a drink to celebrate his one year off, was dead within 6 weeks. Tragic

Back
Top Bottom